• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (149 Viewers)

Sanderling at the Flashes as per Andy P.

Same message as yesterday; if you have got some spare time get down to the reserve!

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

Sanderling, Black Tern briefly a couple of times (from the Sailing Pool), 35 Avocet, 7 Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Mediterranean Gull (first summer), Common Tern, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 5 Oystercatcher, 6 Gadwall, Shoveler

Yellow Wagtail flew north-west over the Sailing Pool as per Dave J.

Two first-summer Med Gulls at the Flashes as per Andy P, including a new more fully hooded bird.

Last edited:
Sanderling at the Flashes as per Andy P.

Same message as yesterday; if you have got some spare time get down to the reserve!

It was actually Dave J who spotted the Sanderling first. On Worcester Birding I seem to have been credited with all of today's significant sightings - even the Little Tern, which would have been difficult given that I was at the Flashes when the bird was sighted. Thanks to Gert for alerting Dave J and I promptly, enabling us to get round there in time to see the bird, albeit that I felt the need to run from the Moors car park to the East Hide in order to avoid the dreaded dip. The calf muscle in my left leg is still sore, but it was worth it for an Upton Warren lifer - on 185 now for the reserve! :t:B :):smoke:

Black Terns increased to 5 at the Moors Pool then flew off to the north at 8:30pm as per Mike W.

Also a Common Tern and 100+ Swallows present.

Black terns

When I left at about 4.45pm there were only 2 black terns around. This shot was taken from the Concrete Hide and against the light . Would have tried for a with the light from the West Hide but a BHG sent them back up to the north end!

Some nice displays of flying along with good ones from the swallows and hirundines

Phil E.

Attachments

• Black terns Moors.jpg
    Black terns Moors.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 44
Still plenty of movement in the region today including several species not recorded at Upton in the current influx eg Grey Plover, Knot, Turnstone. With winds easterly again overnight and rain again from late morning throughout the afternoon I wouldn't bet against some more notable sightings tomorrow.

From the Flashes this morning JTB reports:

Dunlin just dropped in, Avocet 35, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover 4, Lapwing 14, Oystercatcher 3, Shoveler pair, Shelduck 6.

2 Common Sandpiper at the Moors Pool as per Gert

Last edited:
This morning at FLASHES 5.30am - 12
A heavy mist descended early on covering most of the transmitter masts. Only a single summer plumaged dunlin dropped in. Small numbers of swallow and swift moved through but that was about it , other than the obvious influx of sedge warblers.

Species count FLASHES:-
Canada geese 5 broods. Mallard 3 broods min. Gadwall 3. Shoveler pr. Shelduck 6. Tufted 16. Grry heron
Avocet 35. LRP 5. Lapwing 14. No sign of the 2 chicks but the female was acting like they were around, maybe hiding in the long grass in front of the sewage works.
Oystercatcher 3. Common sand 3. Dunlin
Med gull 1st summer. BHG 449 nests. Herring Gull. LBBG 5.
Buzzard 6. RED KITE.
Stock dove 10+. Swift 3. Swallow 10. Skylark 2.
Cetti's w singing. SEDGE WARBLER 12 singing. Reed warbler 4. Blackcap 2.
Greenfinch 4. Linnet 6+.

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 6. Greylag 10 + 3 chicks.
Swallow 40. Sand Martin 5. House Martin 5. Reed warbler.

Please find attached the overall results of last Saturday's West Midlands Spring All-Day Birdwatch - quite a tidy haul across the region given the minimal movement on the day itself.

Attachments

• Spring 2019 All-Dayer.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Mike W reports:

Avocet 32, Little Ringed Plover 4, Common Sandpiper 1, Oystercatcher, first summer Mediterranean Gull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back