• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (125 Viewers)

Thanks to all the guys for making today a really enjoyable one, it seems like ages since I've spent some proper time at Upton.

My total was a ridicously low 49, I only count birds I see, as you all know I can't tell a Woodsand from a Nuthatch by call :-C so I can't count anything I hear.

Highlight was definately the Cetti's lowlight was not getting a Starling :eek!:

Cheers guys :t:

Hi all,
Here are the 90 species that were recorded at Belvide today. 1 Mute Swan, 2 Greylag Goose, 3 Canada Goose, 4 Shelduck, 5 Mandarin, 6 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 8 Teal, 9 Mallard, 10 Shoveler, 11 Tufted Duck, 12 Pheasant, 13 Cormorant, 14 Grey Heron, 15 Little Grebe, 16 GC Grebe, 17 Sparrowhawk, 18 Buzzard, 19 Kestrel, 20 Hobby, 21 Water Rail, 22 Moorhen, 23 Coot, 24 LRP, 25 Lapwing, 26 Knot, 27 Dunlin, 28 Ruff, 29 Snipe, 30 Greenshank, 31 Green Sand, 32 Common Sand, 33 BH Gull, 34 Little Gull, 35 Med Gull, 36 LBB Gull, 37 Herring Gull, 38 Feral Pigeon, 39 Stock Dove, 40 Wood Pigeon, 41 Collared Dove, 42 Little Owl, 43 Swift, 44 Kingfisher, 45 Green Woodpecker, 46 GS Woodpecker, 47 Jay, 48 Magpie, 49 Jackdaw,50 Rook, 51 Crow, 52 Raven, 53 Goldcrest, 54 Blue Tit, 55 Great Tit, 56 Coal Tit, 57 Marsh Tit, 58 Willow Tit, 59 Sand Martin, 60 Swallow, 61 House Martin, 62 LT Tit, 63 Chiffchaff, 64 Willow Warbler, 65 Blackcap, 66 Lesser Whitethroat, 67 Whitethroat, 68 Sedge Warbler, 69 Reed Warbler, 70 Nuthatch, 71 Treecreeper, 72 Wren, 73 Starling, 74 Blackbird, 75 Spotted Flycatcher, 76 Robin, 77 Redstart, 78 Wheatear, 79 Dunnock, 80 Tree Sparrow, 81 Yellow Wagtail, 82 Pied Wagtail, 83 Meadow Pipit, 84 Chaffinch, 85 Greenfinch, 86 Goldfinch, 87 Linnet, 88 Bullfinch, 89 Yellowhammer, 90 Reed Bunting.

Highlighted are the species that were recorded at Belvide but not Upton (23 in total).

Upton managed 11 species not seen at Belvide: Barnacle G, Pochard, Black Tern, Common Tern, Tawny Owl, Cetti's W, Curlew, Grey Wagtail, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Peregrine F

Hi all,
Here are the 90 species that were recorded at Belvide today. 1 Mute Swan, 2 Greylag Goose, 3 Canada Goose, 4 Shelduck, 5 Mandarin, 6 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 8 Teal, 9 Mallard, 10 Shoveler, 11 Tufted Duck, 12 Pheasant, 13 Cormorant, 14 Grey Heron, 15 Little Grebe, 16 GC Grebe, 17 Sparrowhawk, 18 Buzzard, 19 Kestrel, 20 Hobby, 21 Water Rail, 22 Moorhen, 23 Coot, 24 LRP, 25 Lapwing, 26 Knot, 27 Dunlin, 28 Ruff, 29 Snipe, 30 Greenshank, 31 Green Sand, 32 Common Sand, 33 BH Gull, 34 Little Gull, 35 Med Gull, 36 LBB Gull, 37 Herring Gull, 38 Feral Pigeon, 39 Stock Dove, 40 Wood Pigeon, 41 Collared Dove, 42 Little Owl, 43 Swift, 44 Kingfisher, 45 Green Woodpecker, 46 GS Woodpecker, 47 Jay, 48 Magpie, 49 Jackdaw,50 Rook, 51 Crow, 52 Raven, 53 Goldcrest, 54 Blue Tit, 55 Great Tit, 56 Coal Tit, 57 Marsh Tit, 58 Willow Tit, 59 Sand Martin, 60 Swallow, 61 House Martin, 62 LT Tit, 63 Chiffchaff, 64 Willow Warbler, 65 Blackcap, 66 Lesser Whitethroat, 67 Whitethroat, 68 Sedge Warbler, 69 Reed Warbler, 70 Nuthatch, 71 Treecreeper, 72 Wren, 73 Starling, 74 Blackbird, 75 Spotted Flycatcher, 76 Robin, 77 Redstart, 78 Wheatear, 79 Dunnock, 80 Tree Sparrow, 81 Yellow Wagtail, 82 Pied Wagtail, 83 Meadow Pipit, 84 Chaffinch, 85 Greenfinch, 86 Goldfinch, 87 Linnet, 88 Bullfinch, 89 Yellowhammer, 90 Reed Bunting.
Thanks again for the friendly rivalry and I'll look forwarg to doing it all again in May:t:

Nice one Steve one day we might push it closer, it just proves what a great place Belvide is.:t:
Highlighted in red are what we Didn't see, 23 species
The following species are what we saw and Belvide Team didn't: Barnacle goose, Pochard, Peregrine, Curlew, Black Tern, common tern, Tawny Owl, song thrush, mistle thrush, Cettis Warbler and Grey wag, 11 species.

B :)John looking forward to the spring contest already.

Highlighted are the species that were recorded at Belvide but not Upton (23 in total).

Upton managed 11 species not seen at Belvide: Barnacle G, Pochard, Black Tern, Common Tern, Tawny Owl, Cetti's W, Curlew, Grey Wagtail, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Peregrine F

sorry phil I think we have just crossed over with this.8-P

Tuesday Work Party

The TUESDAY work parties resume this Tuesday 6th September.
We meet at the Moors car park at 9am and usually finish at 12-1pm.
They normally take place at the Moors where this years projects include tree and hedgerow management, reed-bed enhancement. Habitat Creation, will also be paramount with an emphasis on Scrubland, 'bittern' channels, periphery vegetation, specifically for cettis warblers, berry bearing bushes, butterfly glades and wader habitat.

This weeks party will be at the Flashes, where the extraordinary dry conditions have completely dried out the 2nd Flash. While the area is dry we will be able to dig out the channel in the 'central area' and use the spoil to create a new island in the 1st Flash.
If you can make Tuesday meet at the Flashes from 9am, I will be gentle, it shouldn't be too heavy a task. This will also help preserve the connecting channel between the 2 Flashes, which are a vital source of food for autumn passage wader.
B :)John

Just to say thanks to the guys for organising the all dayer yesterday. Highly enjoyable. Thanks to the cooks in particular. Probably the only time I've put weight on whilst out doing a lot of walking ;)

Spotted Flycatcher showing well out of the right hand side of the main flashes hide. Didn't get that one yesterday! Redstart still in the same area also.

Just to say thanks to the guys for organising the all dayer yesterday. Highly enjoyable....

Seconded. And thanks to all those who took the time to help out newbies like me - especially Glen for showing me the education reserve.

I was pleased by my personal total of 45 as it didn't include some basic species like starling, dunnock and wren which I probably saw but ignored because I was concentrating on the overall list.

Can't wait for the next one! Perhaps we should do another when there's some water in the flashes ;)

Paul

Seconded. And thanks to all those who took the time to help out newbies like me - especially Glen for showing me the education reserve.

I was pleased by my personal total of 45 as it didn't include some basic species like starling, dunnock and wren which I probably saw but ignored because I was concentrating on the overall list.

Can't wait for the next one! Perhaps we should do another when there's some water in the flashes ;)

Paul
With the present rainfall, that might just be next May:eek!:

Spent all 6 hours at the Moors Today. Didn't hear the cettis, but plenty of chiffs everywhere and a couple of reed warblers.
100 or so mixed hirundine flock passing through, which were mostly swallows. At Amy's marsh there were 85 lapwing, a juvenile common sand and 20 Teal. On the main pool 4 Pochard, 5 Shoveler and a dozen tufted. The juv Black Tern effortlessly toured the pool, taking insects from the surface.
Generally a quiet day, mostly spent eating cake and drinking tea with woodchat in the north moors hide, whilst waiting for the (No show) Cettis.

A few pictures from Saturday and Today taken from the Water Rail Hide

The first pic is (i think) a Common Tern Juvinile. The Second is a Black Tern Juvinile. And the last three are self explanitory.

Simon P:t:

Attachments

• Common-Tern-Juv-IMG_9975a.jpg
    Common-Tern-Juv-IMG_9975a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Black-Tern-Juv-IMG_0008a.jpg
    Black-Tern-Juv-IMG_0008a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 81
  • Kingfisher-&-Dragonfly-IMG_.jpg
    Kingfisher-&-Dragonfly-IMG_.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Kingfisher-IMG_0135a.jpg
    Kingfisher-IMG_0135a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 105
  • Kingfisher-IMG_0156.jpg
    Kingfisher-IMG_0156.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 88
Great shots Simon, Did you notice the dragonfly just about to attack the kinfisher in pic 3 and pic 4 looks like the kingf got away just in time, from whatever is about to come out of the abyss below it :-O

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back