• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

No sign of osprey this afternoon
1 dunlin 12 snipe 10 green sandpiper 2 common sandpiper kestrel kingfisher
22 lesser black backed and 1 adult herring gull in the water between flashes
Male pintail or gadwall 94 teal 3 swallows 1 sand Martin 20+ house martins
1 water rail

Osprey last seen at aprox 12.30 today circurling upwards in the wind flow this could be the start of it's journey away.
Saw Grey Wagtail infront of Avocet Hide also water rail by insect net and fencing, Blackcaps showing well in bushes to the right of the Avocet Hide also Whitethroats, Chiffchaff, Goldfinch, Linnets, Common Sandpiper x2 on far beach in front of hide will put full list up later

Kind Regards

Adrian

Would be nice if one of the bazooka boys or girls could get or share ( if they already have one) a shot of the Pintail for the Flickr page, I didn't post my record shot from last week on there as I was sure someone would produce something better ( which would not be hard ) :t:

Would be nice if one of the bazooka boys or girls could get or share ( if they already have one) a shot of the Pintail for the Flickr page, I didn't post my record shot from last week on there as I was sure someone would produce something better ( which would not be hard ) :t:

Just put one of mine up although not a great view.

Rob

Talking of the Pintail, it was great to see how far it had come on plumage wise in the week between the two times ive seen it, from looking practically female like in full eclipse (see photo) to starting to develop the yellow patches on the rear flanks. Really interesting it bird moult!
DSCN5206.JPG
Im sure the Bazooka's have better photos!
MB
P.s. I wont be adding any of my Osprey shots, they'd just lower the standards of recent photographers posts :p Great pics everyone who has put some on!

It's been around by the Cuckoo Hide quite a bit lately and also by the feeding station at the back of the Canoe racks on the sailing club.

Also is this the longest a Osprey as stayed on one feeding area outside of Rutland anyone know?

It's been around by the Cuckoo Hide quite a bit lately and also by the feeding station at the back of the Canoe racks on the sailing club.

Also is this the longest a Osprey as stayed on one feeding area outside of Rutland anyone know?

Ospreys now breed in a number of locations in England (eg Rutland, Bassenthwaite) and Wales as well as their heartland of Scotland. Non-breeding birds have lingered in such locations as Blithfield Res in recent years. It would be interesting to know if this bird is now a County record though (Brian?)

Went over Walton hill this afternoon before getting to Upton. There was a nice sprinkling of migrants up there including a few Wheatears, couple of Redstarts, several Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers. (I did text Birdguides but they obviously didn't think it interesting enough) |=@|

Probably my last mid-week evening visit this year.

Saw the Osprey heading off north-west over the Education reserve from the Sailing pool car park c.19.00.

Down on the flashes there was nothing new in, species-wise, but Snipe seemed to have increased slightly, with at least 16 on view. Most of the other counts were the same or less than Gary's from earlier today, with the exception of Shoveler which reached 40. the gull roost numbered at least 800 Black-headed, but the only other gull left when I went was a juvenile LBB. There had been 16 of the latter in earlier, but the whole gathering was spooked twice by something, and they left after the second occurence. Curlews reached 21 and a small group of hirundines passed through that contained at least ten Swallows, two Sand Martins and a House Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back