• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (124 Viewers)

Help needed to find out what species this is taken by mistake as I was panning round to get the Grey Wagtail sorry about the very, very poor image but any help would be gratefully recieved

It was taken from the Avocet Hide and sitting on the wire fence by the insect nets

Kind regards

Adrian

very sparrow like...at a push could even go for tree. heads looks very chestnut.
and cheeks look white:smoke:

very sparrow like...at a push could even go for tree. heads looks very chestnut.

Blimey, House Sparrow :eek!:, Tree sparrow :eek!::eek!:, Black Darter :eek!::eek!:...

I was thinking possible Reed Bunting but decided I couldn't even convince myself of that common Upton species

Can't beat an afternoon of rareities based on dodgey pics 8-P

Went over Walton hill this afternoon before getting to Upton. There was a nice sprinkling of migrants up there including a few Wheatears, couple of Redstarts, several Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers. (I did text Birdguides but they obviously didn't think it interesting enough) |=@|

Hi Steve,

I know where your coming from. I think sometimes the Bird information services get a bit complacent regarding what we Midlanders consider news worthy birds. I'd much rather know about what you had on Walton Hill than some bleedin Pom Skua that passed an Irish headland 2 or 3 days ago:eek!:

Hi Steve,

I know where your coming from. I think sometimes the Bird information services get a bit complacent regarding what we Midlanders consider news worthy birds. I'd much rather know about what you had on Walton Hill than some bleedin Pom Skua that passed an Irish headland 2 or 3 days ago:eek!:

Stevie.....how ya going mate.........:gh:.......long time no see........I've emigrated from Staffs to Worcs these days.......keep up the good work at Belvide (Steve Roper)

There have been a two records in the last four years (2008-2011), which you can see on Mike Averill's website . There was also a record in the '90's in the Redditch area.:t:

Des.

Thanks for letting me know Des. I have an old copy of Mike's Dragonflies of Worcestershire but never thought to refer to his website before posting.

I stand corrected ;-)

Blimey, House Sparrow :eek!:, Tree sparrow :eek!::eek!:, Black Darter :eek!::eek!:...

I was thinking possible Reed Bunting but decided I couldn't even convince myself of that common Upton species

Can't beat an afternoon of rareities based on dodgey pics 8-P

And here's me thinking Ade's photo was a juvenile Red-backed Shrike ;-)

Last edited:

I could go with tree sparrow on this, doesn't look like a house sparrow from the head colour...

when was the last tree sparrow seen around the reserve, anyone know? I know I've not seen one.

Mike

I could go with tree sparrow on this, doesn't look like a house sparrow from the head colour...

when was the last tree sparrow seen around the reserve, anyone know? I know I've not seen one.

Mike

No offence to adrian but the photo is poor and the blurring motion could account for the chestnut colour of its head. I wouldn't even consider it as Tree Sparrow from this shot

This afternoon 2 large Grass Snake were sunning on a reed pile in front of the Hen Pool hide while I waited for a Crake to appear, however all I saw were a pair of Moorhen with 2 small chicks.
At the Flashes more mud than last Tuesday was showing along the reed edge thanks to John Belsey. A Water Rail and 2 Sedge Warbler were feeding there but still no Crake.
Geoff

I know it's a very poor image have tried to tidy it up but just gets more blurry so sorry I will just put it down as a UFO (unidentified flying object) now thats got to be a first for upton (ufo) that is?

Many thanks all for trying to help out

Kind Regards

Adrian

I wonder if this one is any better? or does it add more confussion to the species?

Kind Regards

Adrian

It doesnt help much I'm afraid Ade. My problem with the whole house/Tree Sparrow thing is that when you enlarge the shot there is no sign of any black bib on the bird so it may not even be a sparrow!

I think the latin name for it would be Blurredus unidentifia

;)

No offence to adrian but the photo is poor and the blurring motion could account for the chestnut colour of its head. I wouldn't even consider it as Tree Sparrow from this shot

Also looking at the greenery the shot looks a bit over saturated which means the head colour appears brighter than it is!

Rob

There is not much in those 2 shots of the bird,almost like copies. As Rob and Jase have said, all that going on in the background makes you think what you are seeing is not a true image. No matter at the end of the day, be unsubmissable without more evidence

Hi Steve,

eye eye Steve or should I say Steve's what this a 'staffs love in' on the Upton site:-O:-O
totally agree though:t:John

Never mind thanks all for your help it's one i'll just delete from my collection as I said earlier I was panning round to get the Grey Wagtail so serves me right for not taking notice as I pan round.

Another thank you to all who helped ID the insect

Kind Regards

Adrian

From the amount of brown on the bird, especially the head I'd go for Tree Sparrow as well. No sign of the cheek patches though, but I'll still go with Tree Sparrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back