• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

The Flashes
Black-Headed Gull (at most 10), Mallards, 3 Lapwing, Magpie, Jackdaw, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Wren, Woodpigeon, Kingfisher and huge flocks of thrushes in the trees that the Hen Brook hide faces including Blackbird, Song Thrush, Redwing and Fieldfare.

The Moors
4 Mute Swans, 3 Canada Geese, Mallard, 8 Tufted Duck, around 25 Shoveler, 1 Gadwall, 1 Pintail, 10 Teal, 1 Little Grebe, 3 Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, around 120 Coot, 150+ Black-Headed Gull, 80+ Lapwing, 35+ Cormorants, 5+ Snipe, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Little Egret over, Kestrel, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Little Owl, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting, Pied Wagtail and House Sparrow.

Chris

Cheers Chris - no Gadwall or Wigeon today? Whereabouts was the sparpw?

Last edited:
a few from today

female blackcap, male blackcap, the pintail, two pics of the moorhens having a right old scrap.

Attachments

• DSC07973.JPG
    DSC07973.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC07978.jpg
    DSC07978.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC07984.JPG
    DSC07984.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC07995.jpg
    DSC07995.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC07998.jpg
    DSC07998.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 64
last few

lapwing,snipe after been flushed by cattle, actually had 9 flying in one picture, teal, little egret over car park also saw a red admiral in car park as well, courting cormorants?

Attachments

• DSC08010.JPG
    DSC08010.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC08027.JPG
    DSC08027.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC08050.jpg
    DSC08050.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC08064.JPG
    DSC08064.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC08147.JPG
    DSC08147.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 70
Cormorants

Yesterday's flock of 49 was the peak count for the year so far and starting to approach the reserve's record of 57 in December 2003. Its hard to believe that it wasnt until 1991 that a double-figure count was first noted at the reserve. As usual birds were seen streaming out to the south during late afternoon; does anyone have ideas where they roost? Westwood?

Attachments

• cormorant.png
    cormorant.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 53
But Upton Gadwall are so much better than those at Brandon 8-P

I was at Brandon as well today and felt uncomfortable not being at Upton. You are right Phil about the Gadwall though, just a touch less classy ;) Not many Widgeon where the Thame valley was much more plentiful. The highlight was the female Smew which was the motive why I went there in the first place. I felt distinctly more uncomfortable later as I had a Bittern which showed really well. I'm not counting to two male and one female Goldeneye, this is where I draw the line. Talk about guilty pleasures. I tried to flush the lot in the direction of Worcester. Brandon was heaving most of the day but good in spite of this. Can't wait to get back to Upton though, I need the class.

Alan

I was at Brandon as well today and felt uncomfortable not being at Upton. You are right Phil about the Gadwall though, just a touch less classy ;) Not many Widgeon where the Thame valley was much more plentiful. The highlight was the female Smew which was the motive why I went there in the first place. I felt distinctly more uncomfortable later as I had a Bittern which showed really well. I'm not counting to two male and one female Goldeneye, this is where I draw the line. Talk about guilty pleasures. I tried to flush the lot in the direction of Worcester. Brandon was heaving most of the day but good in spite of this. Can't wait to get back to Upton though, I need the class.

Alan

Hi Alan - I think most Upton birders would give their eye tooth to have the Bittern back (and a confirmed Smew is seriously overdue)

Phil, I was there from 12.00-15-30 and can contribute the following:

49 Cormorants were present today at one stage on the Moors Pool. There were also three Little Grebes, seven GCGs (2 MP & 5 SP), at least 27 Tufted Ducks and 13 Curlews in the A38 field just before I left. One Water rail showed in front of the west hide and others were heard on the North Moors (2), Moors (2), Flashes (1). Whilst one person told me there were a 'million' Snipe present I think the more conservative report of 30 from his companion would be more accurate. Far too tired (late night last night) to count much else.

The Flashes held 21 Teal and an adult LBBG. Didn't count the Lapwing and BHG. One of the Peregrines was having a sparring session with a Buzzard, which didn't seem to be too happy about it judging by the racket it was making.

Last edited:
female blackcap, male blackcap, the pintail, two pics of the moorhens having a right old scrap.

I love your quirky shots as well as all the others of course mate. Flight shots are now pushing Rob E for top slot;)
The juv Moorhen...looking at the 2 adults fighting - as if to say what's all this about then8-P
B :)John

Hi Alan - I think most Upton birders would give their eye tooth to have the Bittern back (and a confirmed Smew is seriously overdue)

John

I understand the Bittern is a very recent drop into Brandon so keep your chin up. Who knows what's round the corner. They didn't have the O bird, my goodness that was brilliant wasn't it? ;)

Alan

John

I understand the Bittern is a very recent drop into Brandon so keep your chin up. Who knows what's round the corner. They didn't have the O bird, my goodness that was brilliant wasn't it? ;)

Alan
in

Alan who's John...Phil's name is in his title Phil Andrews8-P, B :) John or should I say Alan.
I think you need to get back to Upton mate , Brandon has had an affect on you;)John
I too didn't go to Upton today sneaked off to Slimbridge with the Mrs, to see Phil Mumby's (aka corvus_corax) art work that was being exhibited:t:

in

Alan who's John...Phil's name is in his title Phil Andrews8-P, B :) John or should I say Alan.
I think you need to get back to Upton mate , Brandon has had an affect on you;)John
I too didn't go to Upton today sneaked off to Slimbridge with the Mrs, to see Phil Mumby's (aka corvus_corax) art work that was being exhibited:t:

Ho flippin ho. Be gentle with me. Put it down to the lower class influence or senility.

Complete list of species seen on Thursday – (sorry about the late upload)

Blackbird, greenfinch, bullfinch, blue tit, song thrush, magpie, reed bunting, cormorant, moorhen, mallard, mute swan, black headed gull, redwing, great tit, chaffinch, dunnock, great spotted woodpecker, redpoll, coot, pheasant, robin, lapwing, shoveler, curlew, canada goose, teal, great crested grebe, common snipe, green woodpecker, pintail, grey heron, kestrel, pied wagtail, tufted duck, little grebe, lesser black backed gull, jack snipe, wood pigeon, rook, buzzard, carrion crow, goldcrest, sparrowhawk, wren & kingfisher

Total 45 species seen around the Moors pool & North Moors path

Hello Upton photographers.

I need to ask you a massive favour. I am in need of photographs of 253 bird species for a talk I am giving soon. I am not the sort of person who just copies them off google images, realising that copyright is important.

Now back in 2010 I saw 253 species in the year, a new Green Birding Year List record.

Vern, bless him, is helping me and I'm extremely grateful for that but if you think you can help, can you please email me at

[email protected]

and I'll email you a list of species whose images I need.

Any use of your photograph will receive recognition in any literature that I give out for the talk, and future talks.

Thanking you,

Gary Prescott

Biking Birder 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back