• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Visited Wednesday early morning until Dinner. Not much about only managed to get a couple of shots of a Chiffchaff and rabbit. I've recently been getting into my Macro work.
Take a look at the flickr page if you have time.

Current set up.
Body:Nikon D7000
Telephoto: Nikon 70-200mm + Nikon 1.7tc
Macro: Nikon 105mm + Kenko extension tubes + SB700 Speedlight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattlissimoreillustration/

Arrived at 6,10am. Very quiet 2 ruff. 42 teal. 21 shoveler. 21 curlew. Then as sun came out and temperature rose the west hedge to right of main hide came to life. This is the first time this autumn it has performed for me. Highlights Redstart juv. Lesser whitethroat. Blackcap 2. Chiff 2. Linnet 15. Goldfinch 40 - 50. Greenfinch 45. Reed bunting 10. Meadow pipit 6 these later fed in front of the hide. Also lots of garden birdd tits dunnocks robin wren etc. Also 2 grey wags over and a party of swallow 20. Moved sw.

Water Rail

Enclosed is a pic of a juv Water Rail taken today on the small pool at the top end of the North Moors.
First time I've seen a Rail there.:t:
Many hundreds, if not thousands, of birds on the Moors but apart from a little Egret nothing unusual.

Attachments

• IMG_8677.jpg
    IMG_8677.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 123
Enclosed is a pic of a juv Water Rail taken today on the small pool at the top end of the North Moors.
Many hundreds, if not thousands, of birds on the Moors but apart from a little Egret nothing unusual.

thats a belter mr bo :t:

Nice one Bobby boy. That is quite a young bitd. I wonder if it is a 2nd brood. There at least 2 possibly 3 pairs on the north moors. The pool is known as the North moors seaso:t:nal pool:t:

Nice one Bobby boy. That is quite a young bitd. I wonder if it is a 2nd brood. There at least 2 possibly 3 pairs on the north moors. The pool is known as the North moors seaso:t:nal pool:t:

Is this a seasonal pool bird or a North Moors birds? A juv was in the same area on Wednesday.

Des.

Added some pics from today on my Flickr site, click link below if you wish to see them

1=comorant with another eel

Attachments

• CORMORANT WITH EEL UWDSC_5145.jpg
    CORMORANT WITH EEL UWDSC_5145.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
At 9.30 am the contractors arrived to finish off the screening and the hydrological surveyor walked around the Flashes. I accompanied him and had a good lok at the peripheral vegetation. There is no doubt that the phragmites has expanded, but some of the sedge/juncus areas are extremely wet and look very inviting to a range of wetland species. The cattle are already making inroads and are creating muddy pools within the rank vegetation. This cannot be seen from the hides, but when the phragmites issue has been addressed, we should have some great wet grazing marsh habitat. I did a bit of birding in the scrub to the right of the sewage works. Apart from good numbers of finches and reed buntings, there were 2 lesser whitethroats, 4 blackcaps and 3 chiffchaffs. £ rooks went over and the ruff seemed un-phased by our incursion.

Pics from the Hen Pool
water rail and darter sp over to you Desmond

Attachments

• 1wata railDSCF8608 (2).jpg
    1wata railDSCF8608 (2).jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 80
  • darter sp hen poolDSCF8599 (2).jpg
    darter sp hen poolDSCF8599 (2).jpg
    308 KB · Views: 81
  • watrail hen poolDSCF8626 (2).jpg
    watrail hen poolDSCF8626 (2).jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 86
The Moors this afternoon. Only a brief visit.
Bob O had already alluded to the large numbers of birds on site.
There was a very noticeable increase in gulls, this was due to ploughing in field on the west side of the A38. The canadas were in plague proportions, enjoy the count on Sunday Phil.

Species count:
GCG 6, little grebe 6, cormorants 5, canadas c500. greylag 23, shoveler 30, teal 20, Mallard 100+, tufted 20, coot 150+, snipe, lapwing 100+, BHG 1200, LBBG 50, herring gull 10, buzzard 4, Little egret, grey heron 2, kingfisher,
2 pics
1. little egret
2. the pool island - giving the sense of being 'full'.

Attachments

• litt egre amysDSCF8633 (3).jpg
    litt egre amysDSCF8633 (3).jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 76
  • pool islandDSCF8629 (2).jpg
    pool islandDSCF8629 (2).jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 78
At 9.30 am the contractors arrived to finish off the screening and the hydrological surveyor walked around the Flashes. I accompanied him and had a good lok at the peripheral vegetation. There is no doubt that the phragmites has expanded, but some of the sedge/juncus areas are extremely wet and look very inviting to a range of wetland species. The cattle are already making inroads and are creating muddy pools within the rank vegetation. This cannot be seen from the hides, but when the phragmites issue has been addressed, we should have some great wet grazing marsh habitat. I did a bit of birding in the scrub to the right of the sewage works. Apart from good numbers of finches and reed buntings, there were 2 lesser whitethroats, 4 blackcaps and 3 chiffchaffs. £ rooks went over and the ruff seemed un-phased by our incursion.

Pics from the Hen Pool
water rail and darter sp over to you Desmond

Common Darter John.

How long are the cattle staying at the Flashes?

Des.

couple from today

1=Pintails
2=Peregrin with Stockdove
3=moorhen juv strange

Attachments

• pt 1DSC_5842.jpg
    pt 1DSC_5842.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Peregrine with stock dove uw DSC_5604.jpg
    Peregrine with stock dove uw DSC_5604.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 148