• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (12 Viewers)

Good suggestions about photography, ChrisKten!

Your garden seems to be wonderfully busy, Dave!

Too cold and breezy here for more than a quick walk around part of the campus. New birds were a Sedge Wren and 100+ Snow Geese.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Cheers Jeff, it is surley this snowy weather, with a bit of passing trade just having a peek at all the commotion ;)

Love your Northern Harrier, what a stunner. Good blog updates too.

Ah blog.... made a little start yesterday, nowhere near ready for publishing but i am working on it :cat:

Know what you mean about the Greenfinches Hobbes2.Up to just over a year ago my feeders were full of them last year we had three or four all year,don"t know why have not changed bird feed or anything like that they just stopped coming it"s a mystery.

Thanks people for your views, well i will try and get as close as possible when taking the pics, hopefully they wont fly away!o:):king::t:B :)

Know what you mean about the Greenfinches Hobbes2.Up to just over a year ago my feeders were full of them last year we had three or four all year,don"t know why have not changed bird feed or anything like that they just stopped coming it"s a mystery.

Interesting Hectorzaza. For a long time I didn't get any Greenfinch, then during the summer they became regular visitors to the sunflower hearts. Then just as suddenly as they arrived, they left and haven't been back since. I see them in the area, as I say, but they don't come to the feeders, sadly.

Jeff, your year list is going up nicely and you got some great shots of the Northern Harrier. Your American Goldfinch is a beautiful little bird.

Chris - great advice and I like the fox photo in particular.

AlanCh and Dave - love those Fieldfare photos. I've not got close enough to one yet to get a decent shot. I might try the apple trick tomorrow in the garden and go for a double 1st (first time in the garden and first photo....what are the chances....mmmm?).

Hobbes

Hi guys some quality posting going off here!
Now I have arrived ya can kiss good bye to all that unfortunatelyB :)

Back to work after a long weekend always stings a bit, Was cheered up though by the site of the Sparrows this morning there quite simply divine.
That was not the high light of my day, Nor did i get mugged by Robin unfortunately;)
I got home from work for lunch stared out the kitchen window whilst supping tea and pretty much locked my beady eyes onto nothing...
Then as i chewed a particually fatty bacon batch 1 long-tailed tit followed buy another then another and another lol to i mutterd some words like bloody hell whilst choking and spitting tea all over the work tops.

In all the excitement i also managed to catch a far of photo or 3.
Enough lowering the tone!
karpster

Attachments

• Garden-long-tail2.jpg
    Garden-long-tail2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Garden-Long-tail3.jpg
    Garden-Long-tail3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Garden-long-tail1.jpg
    Garden-long-tail1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 65
  • late-great.jpg
    late-great.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 66
That's great, Ryder, getting the LTTs. I've only ever glimpsed one in my garden, and it never came back.

*sulks* |=)|

While I'm here; this is an idea of how cold it was at the Reservoirs this morning (low light as it was early, and I focused on the back of the bird, so not a great pic):

Attachments

• P1370345R.JPG
    P1370345R.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 79
LoL a frozen goose!

I'm trying hard to lure more sparrows most are happy to stay in my gutter lol.
Was awesome to see the Ltt's feeding and feeding well rather than passing through.

karpman

hi everyone, been a mad few days, and not had a lot of chances to see whats been visiting, but, my 2 moorhens keep on comingg in daily now for a few times each day, they are loving there brussel sprouts and cucumber!

Something strange, i think my goldfinches have gone off the nyger seed, whenever i look out and see them they are always on the sunflower hearts.
Along with the goldfinches were about 6 greenfinch, blue tits upto 6, only a couple of great tits at 1 time, . Mistle thrush in the trees, 2-3 song thrushes now with around 7 blackbirds from time to time. Willow tits too.

Upto now my new years list for the garden stands at 29, which includes flyovers.

Look likes evryones been having good times in there gardens.
Lets see if the cold snap produces anything else interesting, my neighbour recorded -15 last night!!!

hi everyone, been a mad few days, and not had a lot of chances to see whats been visiting, but, my 2 moorhens keep on comingg in daily now for a few times each day, they are loving there brussel sprouts and cucumber!

Something strange, i think my goldfinches have gone off the nyger seed, whenever i look out and see them they are always on the sunflower hearts.
Along with the goldfinches were about 6 greenfinch, blue tits upto 6, only a couple of great tits at 1 time, . Mistle thrush in the trees, 2-3 song thrushes now with around 7 blackbirds from time to time. Willow tits too.

Upto now my new years list for the garden stands at 29, which includes flyovers.

Look likes evryones been having good times in there gardens.
Lets see if the cold snap produces anything else interesting, my neighbour recorded -15 last night!!!

If I were you Micheal I'd check the niger feeder, it may be blocked. Mine does sometimes especialy in damp conditions.

Lewis

No birds for the past few days for some reason, filled the feeders up yesterday morning anyway and added a new apple feeder which I got for 2p at Asda!

Must be splendid to have moorhens coming for sure!
Sad to hear ya go know birds coming seagull but what a bargain lol.

Just put the lid of me birdbath out and filled with warm water to stave off the frost for as long as possible lol.

karpster

No change in my garden, just as hectic as usual.

Here's a few more pics from the Reservoirs yesterday. The last 2 are heavy crops of distant Little Grebes. I can't get a decent picture of these birds no matter what I do. They either dive as I press the shutter, or they are too distant to get any detail. I'm becoming obsessed with getting a picture of them, I think I even dreamt about them the other night. |=)|

Attachments

• P1370572R.JPG
    P1370572R.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P1370469R.JPG
    P1370469R.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 58
  • P1370451R.JPG
    P1370451R.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 74
  • P1370452R.JPG
    P1370452R.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 82
we have about a foot of snow out there now.

bornwild has just fallen off the steps up to the back garden falling about 4 feet and landing on her face in the snow with her bum sticking up in the air.
fortunately she's not badly hurt so it's now funny.

there's a mass of birdlife out in our winter wonderland will give a few updates later.

we have about a foot of snow out there now.

bornwild has just fallen off the steps up to the back garden falling about 4 feet and landing on her face in the snow with her bum sticking up in the air.
fortunately she's not badly hurt so it's now funny.

there's a mass of birdlife out in our winter wonderland will give a few updates later.

No pictures of the fall? (now that it's funny |=)|)

A couple of years ago my Wife was in the garden, and her hip "went"; she could only hobble back to the house, Rather than rush to help, I grabbed the video camera and filmed her hobbling along.

I know how that must sound, but she was laughing all the way back to the house, as was I.|=)|

The morning of January 4th I drove up to the Rush's residence near Savannah, Missouri, and watched their feeders for about an hour and a half and then headed up to Squaw Creek NWR near Mound City, Missouri.

We tallied twenty-one (21) species of birds while I was there.

The highlights were: BLACK-THROATED SPARROW, SPOTTED TOWHEE and PURPLE FINCH. The other eighteen species were: Red-tailed Hawk (perched in a nearby tree), American Crow (fly-over), Blue Jay, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, European Starling, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, House Finch, American Goldfinch and House Sparrow.

When I left and was driving up to Squaw Creek I learned that species number 22 arrived at the feeder (White-breasted Nuthatch) *per. comm. Dean Rush!

The Squaw Creek area was entirely frozen! I saw no waterfowl whatsoever! I only observed a few birds (in addition to those already seen at the Rush's) while there: Rough-legged Hawk, Merlin, Bald Eagle, (some White-breasted Nuthatches at HQ feeders) and the most unexpected bird of the day, a GREAT BLUE HERON! This guy was perched on the snow covered ground, all hunched over and looking quite cold. He was in the area near the two, old eagle nests on the road over to Mallard Marsh. Who knows what he might be finding to eat in order to survive! But there he was enduring the frigid temperatures and ice/snow covered landscape.

Driving back to Saint Joseph through Forest City, then along "T" Highway to Amazonia, Missouri, and then home, I did see a few additional species: Wild Turkey, Red-winged Blackbirds, Eastern and Western Meadowlarks, Horned Larks, Eastern Bluebird and American Kestrel.

A couple new "day birds" were at our feeders when I arrived back home: Carolina Wren and Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back