• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

My garden wasn't too busy today, Woodpigeon, Collared Doves, Blue Tit, 2 Goldfinch, House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Robin and quite a few Blackbirds. Definitely a big change from Tuesday.

Odd how numbers vary so much from day to day, isn't it, Pam? There's a big oak in the yard behind ours. One day it has scores of birds. The next day it can be totally empty, even though weather conditions are similar and the overall bird population in our subdivision/estate hasn't changed.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

My garden wasn't too busy today, Woodpigeon, Collared Doves, Blue Tit, 2 Goldfinch, House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Robin and quite a few Blackbirds. Definitely a big change from Tuesday.

Odd how numbers vary so much from day to day, isn't it, Pam? There's a big oak in the yard behind ours. One day it has scores of birds. The next day it can be totally empty, even though weather conditions are similar and the overall bird population in our subdivision/estate hasn't changed.

Here's one of 100 Waxwings that I bumped into at work yesterday.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC01606.jpg
    DSC01606.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 58

Jeff

Hi Jeff....and everyone on the garden birds thread ;)
I shall reply to the latest message rather than trying to catch up on the hundreds I've not replied to but have read (I hope you'll forgive me, lol).

What a treat Jeff! Great photo too. I'm hoping that this winter I'll get my frist sighting of one of these.

The garden has been a little busier today due to throwing out some stale bread and apples. The Woodpigeons (6+) quickly descended, followed by 2 Collared Doves and then the other usual crowd at the hanging feeders. The Dunnocks have adapted now to being able to use the hanging squirrel proof seed feeder. For a long time, they didn't seem to want to go up for their food but I guess the snow covered ground has forced them to try.

A lemon-faced Pied Wagtail dropped in too, first garden visit of 2010. Of course, it flew off just as I got the camera out.

The only other visitors were 2 or 3 squirrels. They kept chasing off the Blackbirds and Woodpigeons.

Below are a few shots from today (some you may have already seen as I put them in my gallery). Two photos of the Collared Dove, one Woodpigeon and then a glimpse at my little garden and the Woodpigeons and Squirrel stand-off. ;)

Hobbes

Attachments

• CD snow2.jpg
    CD snow2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 55
  • CD blink.jpg
    CD blink.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 48
  • WP snow2.jpg
    WP snow2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Visitors.jpg
    Visitors.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 73

Jeff

What a great shot Jeff, a bird i've never seen though I know from the Yorkshire thread there were some near by last year so determined to go searching if they are there again!

It is odd how the numbers differ especially in this weather, you'd think they would stock up on the easiest sources of food?

Wow cracking stuff guys!
Amazing photos as always, My garden is super at the minute and can't wait till the morning to spend a little time observing it a little more!
Them wax wings really are super to look at and them photos stunning hobbes!

Nice one all
karpman

photos of waxwings always make me sad because i aint seen one.

we've been chasing hares all afternoon, unfortunately the closest we got were footprints and waist deep in a snow drift.

we did get a few badly lit pics of red grouse.

the garden birds have once again been left to their own devices with a small mountain of food. while we were out playing in the snow :)

Last edited:
photos of waxwings always make me sad because i aint seen one.

we've been chasing hares all afternoon, unfortunately the closest we got were footprints and waist deep in a snow drift.

we did get a few badly lit pics of red grouse.

the garden birds have once again been left to their own devices with a small mountain of food. while we were out playing in the snow :)

Sounds good to me Captaincarot ;) Incidently, I loved your snow pictures especially the one where all the crystals are evident.

Karpman - Have a great morning tomorrow - look forward to seeing the results :t:

Hobbes

Sounds good to me Captaincarot ;) Incidently, I loved your snow pictures especially the one where all the crystals are evident.
Karpman - Have a great morning tomorrow - look forward to seeing the results :t:

Hobbes

i got another one similar today, with a snails eye view of the moors, i was waist deep in the snow drift at the time and thought ooh that looks nice i'll get a shot of that. then i realised that the lens was full of snow too.

i forgot to mention we saw 14 red grouse, a skein of geese that flew past below us hugging the ground across the valley.
and a very large owl, though i didn't get a good enough look at it to tell what species as it disappeared behind a hill, i suspect from the look i got it may have been a short eared owl but i don't know if they live up there either.
we moved lower down and went for a walk in the woods at crowden. here we saw one jay and about 30 gold finches in one tree.

I'm curious, what would you have done had you caught one?

taken photos and not stopped grinning till next year.

for chasing read trudging through waist deep snow while following footprints of varying ages in an attempt to get a glimpse of one, rather than physically running up and down with a distressed hair trying to get away (which is what i think you may have though i meant).

the ones we were looking for are our native mountain hare, the ones that turn white in winter, as i would love to photograph one when it's white and sat in the snow. obviously them being white on a snow background simplifies finding them massively :)

Last edited:
taken photos and not stopped grinning till next year.

for chasing read trudging through waist deep snow while following footprints of varying ages in an attempt to get a glimpse of one, rather than physically running up and down with a distressed hair trying to get away (which is what i think you may have though i meant).

lol, no I knew what you meant, I just forgot to add the smiley after my question.|=)| <--- I added one this time.

I noticed the time before last, that I went to the Reservoirs, that there were Fox prints everywhere. I know there are loads of Foxes there, but there were prints literally everywhere I looked. Trouble is you can't tell how long ago the prints were made unless it's been Snowing recently. I'm might go again Monday, and this time look for other Mammals.

And good luck finding a white Hare in the snow.|=)|

Fieldfare in the garden for the last two afternoons (first for my garden) and a Brambling today another first. No water in the house the pipes are all frozen so praying for no bursts, at least the birds are adding some enjoyment

Well we have badish snow here currently , so ive made sure all the feeders are full. On the sheffield forum they have been telling folk to put food out for the birds and the response as been good.
Im thinking of getting one of these feeders as an extra for them too. Oh and i will get round to the pics one day, im just a bit slack at times|:$|

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10046497&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=40&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372024}%2fcategories%3C{9372082}&fh_refview=lister&ts=1262982742222&isSearch=false

My feeders and fatballs have been pretty barren, aside from a pair of Blue Tits, a Robin and a Blackbird, very poor really. However, did get this in the garden today which was a surprise - apologies for crap digiscoping!

Attachments

• IMGP0196 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0196 (Large).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 68
My feeders and fatballs have been pretty barren, aside from a pair of Blue Tits, a Robin and a Blackbird, very poor really. However, did get this in the garden today which was a surprise - apologies for crap digiscoping!

What a great surprise. A Woodcock (I think?) - I've been hearing lots of reports of Woodcocks in strange places. They seem to have been quite displaced by the snow. I saw one along the side of the road the other day.

theconstantwalker - Superb news on the birds but really sorry to hear about your pipes. Hoping you don't have any problems once they thaw!

Hobbes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back