• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Snow showers in Pembrokeshire but 5degrees still. Only blue tits, 1 great tit, 4 chaffinches, half a dozen house sparrows, 1 dunnock, 2 collared doves and Mr & Mrs Blackbird so far today.

Yes Eb They Were There But It Was Too Dark To Get A Shot. I Did Notice Both My Suet Feeders Were Empty Which Is What They Like. Tonight That Will Be My First Job To Keep Them Coming

29 jackdaws this morning and it was mayhem.

Things quietened down this afternoon and at 2pm I was lucky enough to see 9x long tailed tits for a few minutes.. One of my all time favourite birds , I have seen 14+ at one time
Taken through very dirty kitchen window at 10.2 metres

Lovely shot of the LTT :t:

Whoa, Here Comes the Snow.

Garden transforming. From a picture devoid of colour, the dark skeletal limbs and lifeless flowerbeds the left-overs of a summer long gone, to instead a land white and vibrant. Birds flocking in at the feeders, Tree Sparrows in their dozens, a Sparrowhawk buzzing, woodpeckers busy and yet more Waxwings - after 45 on the 21st, a flock of about 70 on the 24th, another eight on the 25th, winter is about to hit in force.

Forecast talks of heavy snow in the next day or two, temperatures falling to daytime highs of below minus ten. Yippee, bring it on.

Jos, feel free to send us your Waxwings but you can keep the snow!!

first signs of the snow flakes starting to fall lightly here in East Cheshire....

I've not seen any flakes today in Handforth.

A pleasant 28C/83F in Houston today. I'm at home all day (Thanksgiving holiday) and will get a chance to see what's in our yards.

A cold front's coming in, dropping tomorrow's temperatures by about 15C/30F. I'm hoping it brings more winter birds with it.

I'm off work till Monday and so am hoping we'll get a day's birding somewhere in our area.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Jeff, Please send us some of your warm weather!!

CB

Jos, feel free to send us your Waxwings but you can keep the snow!!

More in the UK this year than here, a rather duff winter so far here ...but the in the last week, things seem to be getting better - three flocks (c45, 70 and 8) since Monday, against only one flock prior to that this winter, (albeit 220 birds).

today, 2 moorhens in again, 8 greenfinch, 5 goldfinch, 8 blue tits, 4 great tits and 1 coal tit. a few chaffinches and a lone starling, A greedy squirrel has ran off with a coconut half filled with suet, redwings flying over again.
No snow here yet, but forecast from tomorrow evening.

Anyone seen many fieldfares yet? I have not seen any yet.

Thats a decent feeder Dave, can I ask where you got it from please.

michael its a Chapelwood ultimate niger feeder (16 perch) I got from a local Garden Centre, however Amazon sell them for slightly less at £15.99... when on their website search under home & Garden and scroll down to the bottom of page 1.... *edit, Scroll down page 3 and they have the Black one (item No 53) on offer at £12.78... bargain

I now own 2 of them :-O

Virtually zero mess / waste so I guess it will pay for itself eventually B :)

Last edited:
michael its a Chapelwood ultimate niger feeder (16 perch) I got from a local Garden Centre, however Amazon sell them for slightly less at £15.99... when on their website search under home & Garden and scroll down to the bottom of page 1.... *edit, Scroll down page 3 and they have the Black one (item No 53) on offer at £12.78... bargain

I now own 2 of them :-O

Virtually zero mess / waste so I guess it will pay for itself eventually B :)

thanks Dave I'm just about to order one myself ....if you lot have left any lol.:-O

Well defrosted the water and topped up the feeders this morning, just had time before I left for work. The birds appeared as soon as I went inside - Starlings, Blue and Coal Tits, Dunnocks and a Robin before being scared off by next doors cats!

Should manage a day of garden watching on Sunday - looking forward to it!

Well defrosted the water and topped up the feeders this morning, just had time before I left for work. The birds appeared as soon as I went inside - Starlings, Blue and Coal Tits, Dunnocks and a Robin before being scared off by next doors cats!

Should manage a day of garden watching on Sunday - looking forward to it!

brrrr defrosting the bird bath first thing in the morning.....not my favourite job ;)I can't see out of any of my windows today as we are drying laundry inside now,:-C
Hope you get some good sightings Sunday.:t:

Last edited:
brrrr defrosting the bird bath first thing in the morning.....not my favourite job ;)I can't see out of any of my windows today as we are drying laundry inside now,:-C
Hope you get some good sightings Sunday.:t:

Not it's not fun in the freezing cold is it!! Quite looking forward to spending some time at home on Sunday! I know the birds have been around as the food has been disappearing pretty quick it will be nice to see who has been eating it!

You might try some peanut butter smeared on a suitable branch.:t: I read that tip in someone's bird photography blog ;)
Thanks for that, I will give it a go. I got even more excited when I saw a thrush in the garden, which is fantastic. Just got in from a very snowy Carmarthen and saw 1 starling on the suet feeder. Mrs. Blackbird has taken to sitting in the sunflower tray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back