• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Great selection of birds there, Jeff:t:

Agreed, I've only had one of the species mentioned in my garden. ;)

Here's one from yesterday and a few from today, it pays to work from home sometimes!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 32
February 06, 2012 (14 bird species at the feeders)
Our Yard, 2823 Sacrament Street, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Still pretty busy.
A dozen each of Chipping Sparrows and Am Goldfinches at a time.
Half-a-dozen each of House Finches and House Sparrows most of the time.
Couple each of Orange-crowned Warberls, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers.
Northern Mockingbird and Rufous Hummingbird visit often every day.
Thought Ruby-crowned Kinglet had left but he/she is still here.
Flyover Great Blue Heron and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Jeff

That has to be a contender for best named bird, brilliant ! :-O

calling blackcap(pers)

Out of interest and as a means for me to procrastinate have those that have had blackcap in the garden noticed more females or males? I wonder if there is any gender trend for wintering birds?

The bramblings persist, 6 woodpigeons and the other normal crew today. A few fieldfare eyed up the sultanas yesterday, but moved on instead.

*after a days birding yesterday, I was shown a garden on the route back that had 5 tree sparrow feeding from its feeders, a real treat, if only they were in mine!

Been a good week so far, Monday having my first chaffinch I have seen for about a year and today last seen last winter...2 Goldfinchs! Great morning surprise. Just hope they stick around.

this afternoon saw 2 bullfinches male and female,2 fieldfare,2 tree sparrows among 16 house sparrows,moorhen,and the usual suspects goldfinches,greenfinches and chaffinches.

Ok got me on the squirrel bird:-O.all the usuals today with 2 Pied Wagtails and a Lesser Redpoll first one since 1st January,had one Great Tit,thats all we seem to be getting at the moment just the odd one don"t know whats happened to the rest of them,normal number of Blue Tits.

Today has been as busy as ever and I think the birds will eat me out of house and home.

At our previous place near Ludlow, where we stayed for six months, there were loads of Greenfinches with the occassional Siskin. Here it is the reverse and there must of been about a dozen Siskin feeding at the same time. But only seen a few Greenfinches.

Possible Sparrowhawk as the birds suddenly scattered and I saw the tail end of large bird flying over the bushes.

No Goldfinches as yet, but I am hoping.

Out of interest and as a means for me to procrastinate have those that have had blackcap in the garden noticed more females or males? I wonder if there is any gender trend for wintering birds?

The bramblings persist, 6 woodpigeons and the other normal crew today. A few fieldfare eyed up the sultanas yesterday, but moved on instead.

*after a days birding yesterday, I was shown a garden on the route back that had 5 tree sparrow feeding from its feeders, a real treat, if only they were in mine!

Can't say I've noticed any bias in the blackcaps' gender, J121. So far this winter I've seen 6 birds at one time, but I know there are more than that as I've seen 4 males together and 4 females , but there are probably even more than this! I would love to know if the same ones are returning each winter, their numbers seem to be increasing each year.

Ok got me on the squirrel bird:-O.all the usuals today with 2 Pied Wagtails and a Lesser Redpoll first one since 1st January,had one Great Tit,thats all we seem to be getting at the moment just the odd one don"t know whats happened to the rest of them,normal number of Blue Tits.
nice one hector i've rarely see a pair of wagtails together

Last edited:
Can't say I've noticed any bias in the blackcaps' gender, J121. So far this winter I've seen 6 birds at one time, but I know there are more than that as I've seen 4 males together and 4 females , but there are probably even more than this! I would love to know if the same ones are returning each winter, their numbers seem to be increasing each year.

Thanks Mary,

we had a male last year and a much more fruit-favouring female this year, a pair breed also, but I don't believe it is the wintering birds, I agree it would be most interesting to know!

Only a male wintering Blackcap, but had a juvenile during the summer. Never a female.

96 roosting Magpies this evening.

:t: Do they make a racket during the night? If I go out and top the feeders up after dark, I even hear Magpies chatting away to each other.

Love the pics redeyedvideo, especially the second one, female yellowhammer?

Been very quiet again here today, between people banging and more passers-by than usual but still, I had a couple of female Bramblings this morning but they were off before I managed to get a pic. Had a Great Tit visit briefly again and a Coal Tit (haven't seen any of these for a couple of weeks now) and I think I saw a Wren whizz past when I was out feeding the birds this morning.

2012 Garden species No. 43
Tawny Owl

its been perched Somewhere either in mine or the neighbours garden but it has been making a series of ear piercing loud screeches

also added a few images form this week... check out the Redpoll and Blue tit in the bathing image

Attachments

• _MG_0815.jpg
    _MG_0815.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_0829.jpg
    _MG_0829.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 33
  • _MG_0817.jpg
    _MG_0817.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 22
  • _MG_0810.jpg
    _MG_0810.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
watched the feeders for 20 mins before work earlier it was chaos
8 chaffinch
20 goldfinch
2 blue tits
4 starling
1 blackbird
and the male female bullfinch all feeding of the sunflower heart feeders apart from the chaffinch's.
no new garden ticks for awhile now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back