• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Moderately busy at our feeder today:

Still having sub-freezing temperatures here in Missouri, but the birds are coming to our feeders throughout the day.
So far we have had:
1. Carolina Wren - 1
2. American Goldfinch - 9
3. Dark-eyed Junco - 3
4. Northern Cardinal - 2
5. Downy Woodpecker - 2
6. Blue Jay - 1
7. European Starling - 10
8. Black-capped Chickadee - 1
9. House Sparrow - 13
10.Tufted Titmouse - 1
11. White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
12. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1

Last edited:
Temps finally returning to normal. Although, the -20f temps were painful the numbers of birds at the feeders was very encouraging. Over 50 at any given time. Mostly, sparrows, cardinals, doves etc. One junco ( bringing years list to 10) and the usually herd of blue jays which only hang out until the days peanut allowance has been exhausted. Side note: there were 14 squirrels in my yard this morning. Yes, at the same time. Eating the left overs on the ground. Usually my border collie keeps them at a minimum but with the cold I let them eat.

Not very much activity around the bird feeders this morning! Temperatures have begun to rise and it is now above the freezing point!
Had an American Crow vocalizing somewhere in the neighborhood. A few House Sparrows and American Goldfinches did come to the feeders.

* I found our two "resident" Carolina Wrens snuggled together in a little nest they had fashioned in the insulation covering the ceiling of our "unheated", attached car garage.

Not been on here for an absolute age, Happy New Year everyone !

Don't know if anyone has seen or already posted this, but bought a spotting scope from Lidl yesterday, £26.99

Is the best scope ever, no. Is it perfectly suitable for watching garden feeder activity, yes.

Came with a mini tripod, just the right size for putting on the window sill on the upstairs bedroom. Only issue is I can't get it to fit on my normal tripod, but hey it was £27 lol.

Feathers Nature Area

Nothing unusual on the feeders at the minute but plenty of regulars. Never easy to do it justice as a picture only captures a split second, whereas there's so much going on! Been putting a few composites together recently, apparently the BBC are going to use one on their website :)

composite copy.jpg

This is 7 images layered in PS, not by best one as the light varied in each one but it's still pretty cool. You can find out more about our Nature Area here, which is where this picture was taken!

Over-wintering Lesser Whitethroat!

After complaining to a friend yesterday about the lack of birds in my garden this year, today I recorded a garden first - a Lesser Whitethroat! Not bad eh?

My partner described a bird to me two weekends ago as 'like a Blackcap but slimmer' which she'd seen at the top of the garden but I'd assumed it was a male Blackcap which we've had for a few years but not so far this winter.

Edit; now considered a possible Siberian L.W. of the race blythi. Pics & info here http://northantsbirds.com

Last edited:
A nice selection of birds seen this week include 2 male bullfinch 2 female bullfinch 4 LTT 3 dunnock blackbirds, collard doves,house sparrows,blue tits,1 willow tit, great tits,coal tits,greenfinches,goldfinches,chaffinches,song thrush,robins,wood pigeons,magpies.

Last edited:
Redwing and a pair of Bullfinch this afternoon, otherwise still fairly quiet with only the regulars busying themselves.

Great Tits are very vocal now, Collared Doves are mating and the numerous Blackbirds are aggressively protecting their territory. It really doesn't seem like winter does it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back