• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (19 Viewers)

Two Starlings on the feeder today. First I've seen in the garden for months.
Also a Greater Spotted Woodpecker came to visit a garden tree.

Hi Rich, you’ve brought to mind when I made my first bird table at Cubs around 30 years ago! I set it out in my Mum and Dad’s garden, and we were camping out in the garden at the time so it must have been the school holidays. I remember it as I was abruptly woken by loads of Starlings in a feeding frenzy early in the morning. That would be a rare sight nowadays.....

We used to get quite a few Will (along with Jackdaws) but since they pulled down the old bungalow 3 doors up, they rarely visit the garden. House Sparrows seem to be having a great year though.

Rich

Like a lot of people I’ll be working from home more and more over the coming months. Have got a couple of new feeders with the aim of creating a new feeding area. Hopefully on the weekend the youngest and I will get it completed. Over the last couple of days we’ve had a Male and Female GSW visiting along with our first Jays for a while. A few Buzzards mewing overhead as well.

Rich

Like your “Bully”pics. Rich! Perhaps I should try a cradle type feeder somewhere in the garden...although Bullfinch is pretty scarce in these parts. :t:

Pair of Bullfinch saw off another male last week. The pair have since mated in the garden and have been taking nest material, but no idea where they are nesting.

During the last week a Single Redwing comes to the garden before sundown.

GSW is far less nervous on the feeders in their new position. Siskin, Goldfinch, Stock Dove and 2 or 3 Nuthatch in the garden this evening. 3 Red Kites over and Blackbirds and Song Thrushes singing away.

:-O:-O You’ve just reminded me Ken. There’s 150 fat balls in the boot of my car. Probably worth more than my actual car at the moment. :-O

Rich

Yes Rich, ''the smear necessities of life'' that famous line from Jungle Book sprang to mind, on a report that police were called to a house by the owner of a residential garage that had been broken into which housed a gold Bentley, only to find the car intact....but the legally looted 500 toilet rolls missing! ;)

Green Woodpecker yaffling away in the fields behind the house yesterday. Have ordered Sunflower seeds from Amazon so hopefully they’ll be delivered this week.

Rich

I guess we may all find a little more spare time to garden bird watch during this difficult period we are in.
Of course we get the hour evening light from tomorrow which helps too.

Filled up the feeders and spent a little time updating my blog, something I haven't done for a while.

Today a Blue Tit spent some time prospecting a nest box. A wren sand outside the conservatory windows, Greenfinch numbers are always good, but only 5 today. Looks like the Redwing has finally flown north and the pair of Bullfinch only made a fleeting visit.

Still getting Foxes and Badgers in the evenings and was nice to see a mouse in the camera trap.

To brighten things up a little I will put up some garden bird images from the years gone past. (Great Spotted Woodpecker juvenile resting and almost asleep)

Keep safe and well everyone.

Attachments

• GSW-for-BFORUM.jpg
    GSW-for-BFORUM.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 13
Very quiet in the garden today, even the squirrels seemed to be scarce. Out on a bike ride though saw big flock of Fieldfares, perhaps thinking about going home. They were with a flock of Starlings too.

Plenty of time to watch the London squirrels looking enviously at my usual goldfinch, blue/great tits, drunk looking robin etc. enjoying the five feeders hanging from our mulberry tree.
At the front of the house from the bedroom window while watching a carrion crow with a single vivid white wing patch gathering twigs for a nest, I looked up and see a distant raptor; quickly get my 10x bins out and it's a buzzard soaring over Highams Park.
So excited, (just a common buzzard but after a week indoors, in London, well, you know...). Call my younger daughter to come look which she does, leaving her Psychology studies with unusual speed and interest.

Just had 2 long tailed tits in the garden, or as I heard them called over the weekend, flying teaspoons ��

First ones of the year, very happy indeed !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back