• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (13 Viewers)

My problem is there is just tooooo much to do in the garden and never enough time to do bird stuff. Add in normal work and the day is gone in a flash.

Maybe WK & LL are flat out too.

Back to birds in the garden, well not quite IN the garden, but in the field next to it I saw my first black-headed gulls today. It's just been cut for silage and there were loads of rook, jackdaw, common gull, lbbg and amongst that at least three black-headed gulls. A new "from the window" tick for me :t:.

TS

I'm lucky, in that I can spend at least 6 hours a day watching the garden (I'm a Garden Gnome |=)| (not really)). If only I could find a way to get paid for doing it, I'd be in heaven.

Just a quick post. I have some new visitors, first this year, in fact, first for a few years.

I only got one quick blurry picture before they flew off, hopefully they'll be back. Oh, and there was 3 to start with, only two by the time I got my camera.

I'm sure now they've found you they'll be back all the time. The ones I get are very greedy and at times take over the feeders.

It's great when you get something new or something that hasn't been around for a while isn't it.

TS

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Fozzy. I think they may turn up after the Starlings fly off (not that they fly off often). It was interesting that they ignored the seed, and went straight for the nut feeder, maybe I'll put up another nut feeder.

Mine always go for the nuts and the juves stand on the bird table bit to begin with and get to the nuts that way lol.

TS

I'm sure now they've found you they'll be back all the time. The ones I get are very greedy and at times take over the feeders.

It's great when you get something new or something that hasn't been around for a while isn't it.

TS

Yes it is, and the great thing is it keeps happening. Every year something will vanish, then turn up later in the year, or next year.

In fact I also got my first decent picture of a Wren in my garden a couple of days ago. I knew it was there, but I hardly ever see it.

I've got a good feeling about this year. Everything has bred successfully, some more than one brood. And now Greenfinches have turned up unannounced.

I'm lucky, in that I can spend at least 6 hours a day watching the garden (I'm a Garden Gnome |=)| (not really)). If only I could find a way to get paid for doing it, I'd be in heaven.

Getting paid for it certainly would be a bonus but it is nice to take a bit of time and watch. I'm really going to try to take that time myself.........well hopefully lol.

As an aside, I love reading about your observations on bird behaviour. I don't always get time to post but do try and have a quick flick through the forum.

TS

Getting paid for it certainly would be a bonus but it is nice to take a bit of time and watch. I'm really going to try to take that time myself.........well hopefully lol.

As an aside, I love reading about your observations on bird behaviour. I don't always get time to post but do try and have a quick flick through the forum.

TS

I'm glad you find it interesting, although TBH, much of the time I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm fascinated by watching all the interactions in my garden between the different species, and interspecies. I can predict certain behaviour, but there's much more that I don't understand, and probably never will.

I know I could probably read loads of books about birds instead, but it's no fun that way.|=)|

Incidentally, I'm sure many here would be interested to hear about your Tree Sparrows' behaviour. I, for one, have never even seen a Tree Sparrow.

Great chat tonight folks.

Geenfinch are great, I too didnt have any at all but once they came they have never been away since only the numbers vary, 4 minimum every day. The males give the starlings a run for their money, if you look at the male Greenfinch they even look agressive, and talk about squabble for the best place to feed.... My Greenfinch are addicted to Sunflower seed or hearts

Chris`s observations from his yard are top drawer and very good to read and again great info that is teaching me ways to study my yard (souns like JeffMoh) and I am a little lucky that I work shifts and do find at least an hour most days to watch the garden. I do "geek" a little by keeping records of what is in the garden and how many etc but I enjoy that side of it........ 3 years ago I didnt have a feeder I had a robin and nothing else, this year I have had upto now (although I do count flyovers) 47 species visit either as just a one off (Treecreeper) or are daily visitors.......... Unbeleivable transformation and worth getting excited about.

Our recent garden bird companion and my Cheshire neighbour Cheshire Birder drops little gems of information in now and again that are teaching me about my local area, things I had no idea about, but the info makes watching and studying the birds so much more enjoyable. I wouldnt have been looking out for Lesser Black Backed gulls without his contribution to this thread... and guess what... I saw One over the house today.

Like TS states even if you dont contribute for a day or two, this thread is great fun and very adictive!!!

PS
Just finished work, Partner back from india but tucked up in bed, I have a bottle of beer and WAFFLING to you good people.......... Midnight madness at its best, now wheres that Wren??? Only sighting this year Jan 1st..... see I know these things off by heart LOL

Seriously though good numbers today of Housesparrows with I think (hard to count while they are very active and flitting here and there) 4+ newly fledged (2nd brood). At least 10 birds in total. I have also noticed that the males look stunning almost like they have a new coat, I presume they must have moulted. The colours are deep aubern and very shiney, the white looks bright.... stunning to look at, at the mo.

Dave

Last edited:
I thought I'd update on how some of the juveniles are doing.

There are still over 30 juvenile Starlings (as Dave said, counting isn't easy), judging by the state of moult there were 2 successful broods this year. (Adults don't stay all day like the juveniles, but there are now regularly over 50 Starlings)

There are at least 12 juvenile House Sparrows, judging by the fact that a few are still being fed, they also had 2 (or is 3 possible?) successful broods. In total there are more than 20 Sparrows each day that are costing me a fortune in seed.

Only one juvenile Wood Pigeon survived, I think I posted that one of the 2 seemed sick.

I'm pretty sure that there are at least 3 juvenile Jays, but I'm not sure who's with which parent. I suspect there are 2 families visiting each day.

I've only seen 2 of the juvenile Magpies recently, I have a feeling the Crows succeeded in killing one or more.

I only saw the juvenile Crow once, I'm not sure where that's gone.

I've seen at least one juvenile Blue Tit recently, so that's not very encouraging.

I usually see a group of juvenile Great Tits each year, 5 or 6 with the parents. This year I've seen no juveniles at all.

Oh, and there's at least 1 juvenile Blackbird.

So it looks like most were successful, the exception being the Great Tits. I'm hoping that they bred but are put off from visiting by the noisy Starlings, or by the Jays and Magpies.

I'm rushing a bit, so don't be surprised if I've missed a species or two.|=)|

I'm glad you find it interesting, although TBH, much of the time I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm fascinated by watching all the interactions in my garden between the different species, and interspecies. I can predict certain behaviour, but there's much more that I don't understand, and probably never will.

I know I could probably read loads of books about birds instead, but it's no fun that way.|=)|

Incidentally, I'm sure many here would be interested to hear about your Tree Sparrows' behaviour. I, for one, have never even seen a Tree Sparrow.

Bird books seem to be sooo expensive as well! Quite agree that it's more fun figuring things out for yourself anyway.

I'll have to have a think about what I can write about tree sparrow behaviour.........probably won't get round to it until the winter lol.

TS

at least 7 juvenile Blue tits with 1 adult
3 juvenile Greenfinch with 4 adults
3 male Housesparrows

all currently on the feeders............ the Housesparrows are winning!!

lots of other activity going on around the garden between the showers.

Great tits, Coal tits, Dunnocks Robins Blackbirds, Jackdaw, Satrling, Carrion (very noisy today)

Black headed gulls over

Off to work shortly :(
Dave

CB
I saw an Oystercatcher flying over Poynton Village yesterday (no garden tick though)

I'll have to have a think about what I can write about tree sparrow behaviour.........probably won't get round to it until the winter lol.

TS

Hi TS seeing as you have experience in Tree Sparrows could you please check the photos at the end of this post as I think I have my first Tree Sparrow in the garden.

Attachments

• 2008_1020ts0019_1.JPG
    2008_1020ts0019_1.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 2008_1020ts0015.JPG
    2008_1020ts0015.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi TS seeing as you have experience in Tree Sparrows could you please check the photos at the end of this post as I think I have my first Tree Sparrow in the garden.

White neck band, and black smudge on cheek, looks good for a Tree Sparrow to me.

Lucky you, I spend hours looking for black smudges on the cheeks of the Sparrows in my garden, never found one yet.|=)|

Today CB :t: a single only high above the close and over the garden for a short while heading towards the high school. Now the clear blue skys have been overtaken by leaden grey and persistant drizzle I only see the Swifts high up.
Will keep my eyes peeled for more before going to work.

Glad to hear you finally scored with LBBG!! :t:

Our recent garden bird companion and my Cheshire neighbour Cheshire Birder drops little gems of information in now and again that are teaching me about my local area, things I had no idea about, but the info makes watching and studying the birds so much more enjoyable. I wouldnt have been looking out for Lesser Black Backed gulls without his contribution to this thread... and guess what... I saw One over the house today.

Glad to hear my knowledge is comming in handy!!

I saw an Oystercatcher flying over Poynton Village yesterday (no garden tick though)

That reminds me, i must check this weekend to see if they have bred again this year. Always a good bird inland.

CB

Nice pics of Tree Sparrow Moraybirdlover :t:

I've only had a few flyover records from my last garden. Dont think i've seen them in my current garden tho.

CB

Back from our few days away to discover the fat balls have completely disappeared, the feed tray was bare and something has had quite a go at the food in the top part of the bird bath, a load of food has been pushed into the water! I'm thinking some squabbling Sparrows.

I've only seen a Blue Tit, Goldfinch, 3 Collared Doves and a Dunnock in the garden though since we got home today. Lots of great garden goings on to catch up with on here though :t:

Sorry, OT !

I came back from a long hiatus, and lo and behold, this thread is pretty well the only active thread that I found! The entire forum used to have a lot more frequent postings...

I came back from a long hiatus, and lo and behold, this thread is pretty well the only active thread that I found! The entire forum used to have a lot more frequent postings...

Hi
All is alive and well in our gardens across the world, its just about sharing it really.... hence why were busy here :t:

Juvenile Woodpecker again this morning, he is getting very regular now. Not feeding on suet /fat today just working his way through a few trees, been here for the last hour until a Juv jackdaw annoyed it once to often :C

Field mouse and Cat under feeder :cat:, Cat hidden so I had to disturb them all just to be safe :t:

Dave

Great to hear that your young woody is going strong Dave. Have had a little contact with the male and female robin parents and have seen one of the fledglings but the friendly fledgling and the third one I've not seen for a bit... not sure what to make of that. The juvenile Dunnock is still around though and was hopping around the garden and sunbathing near my Japonica shrub while I was outside earlier on, which is very cool to see.

Still lots and lots of house sparrows and starlings and the greenfinches coming to the feeders, they're getting through a lot of feed, a slight concern as I'm out of work and I'm noticing the expense! I'll have to work out an acceptable amount to put out so they've got food but I don't spend a fortune - I filled a four port tube feeder with seed mix the other day and it was all gone that same day... as well as a smaller feeder full of sunflower seed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back