• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

I dream of House Sparrows - get flocks of over 100 Tree Sparrows, but only ever had two House Sparrows in my garden, both single-day males.

Fantastic for you in Lithuania. House sparrow are in very low numbers in this garden these days, although they are a fair few in the neighbourhood, but nothing like 20 or more years ago. As for tree sparrows - no way here. Here goldfinches and collared doves outnumber everything else by some distance.

thanks BS.
II'm going to replan the feed station so that the smaller birds can feed undisturbed and away from the larger birds. god knows how I'm going to achieve this though ?:-C

Hello Earleybird

My new feeder (See Picture) I made last week as suggested on another thread works well.This may also help towards ensuring that only small birds feed from it.Perhaps you could give it a try to see if it works for you.
So far I have only seen Goldfinches,Blue Tits,Great Tits and Sparrows use it.
The distance between the two plastic saucers is approx 8".This could be reduced further which may prevent larger birds from trying to feed from it.

Attachments

• new seed feeder.jpg
    new seed feeder.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 53
Many thanks for all your posts. My day is all the better for reading your news. My commute really is leave home in the dark return in the dark at the moment.

Hi Josh, I see mostly house sparrows in my garden now and counted 27 on Sunday before they all started moving again. There is a nest in the back eaves of the house next to mine and I am grateful to the owners 6 year old son as he loves watching the birds or I think when the new plastic fascia whatever they call it went up the hole where they nest would have been filled in. The sparrows have increased over the last two years but not taken advantage of the 3 nest boxes I put on the side of my house opposite the occupied nest hoping they may use it. The boxes have been up 3 years now and I see more sparrows so here is hoping they have occupants next year.

Ann

Its a busy thread...... busy gardens too, well done all and as Andrew (CW) states for thise who are not getting to see much daylight in the garden its a good read :t:

I have just ordered some more feed in bulk so the winter is well in hand I hope.....
...... currently got 10 Redpolls on the nyjer (a garden record count), also nice to see 5 Woodpigeons roosting in the oak when I got up.

Dave

Last edited:
Been a little absent from the thread as I've just not seen much of my garden in daylight recently!

I have seen the usual birds over the weekend - Goldfinch, Blue, Coal & Great Tits, Sparrows, Dunnocks, Robin, Collared Doves, Magpies and Blackbirds in the trees. A pair of Mistle Thrush were chasing each other round a tree across from the garden on Saturday, the made quite a noise. We also have a lot of Starlings roosting in the tree at the top of the garden - the noise in a morning is quite something! The Pied Wagtails are still hanging around an empty building just down the street but I haven't seen them venture any closer yet.

I'll try and have a quick catch up on the posts!

Jos Lovely Picture Of The Tree Sparrow, I Don't Get These In My Garden. JUST BEEN LOOKING AT CALENDARS ON RSPB SITE AND YOUR PICTURE IS BETTER THAN ON THE FRONT OF THEIR BIRD CALENDAR.

Last edited:
I've neglected this thread for a while, but I'll try and start posting again, even if only once a week. Birds in the garden this month (same as every month really):

• Carrion Crows (2 - 5)
  • Magpies (1 - 3)
  • Jays (10+)
  • Sparrowhawks (2 young males - 1 adult male - 1 - 2 young females)
  • Starlings (12 - 50+)
  • Sparrows (40+)
  • Robin (2)
  • Wren (1 for sure, maybe 2)
  • Chaffinches (3 - 5)
  • Collard Doves (8 - 18)
  • Dunnocks (2)
  • Great Tits (2 - 5)
  • Blue Tits (3 - 5)
  • Long-tailed Tits (see a couple now and again, but the Sparrows scare them off)
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 male)
  • Feral Pigeons (60+ yeah, I know, but I like them)

Also about 6 Squirrels; all this in my 20*20ft garden on a housing estate in London.|=)|

I'd better add a few pics from the last couple of weeks (in case you think I've made it all up), all taken through double glazing, and mostly poor light (my trees shade the garden even when it's sunny).

Attachments

• P2050988RGpfnn.JPG
    P2050988RGpfnn.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 65
  • P2060866RGpf.JPG
    P2060866RGpf.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P2050806RG3pf.JPG
    P2050806RG3pf.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P2060419RGpf.JPG
    P2060419RGpf.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 70
  • P2050853RGpf.JPG
    P2050853RGpf.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 48
My 5 day old feeder station is proving a great hit. 2 coal tits, 1 great tit, numerous blue tits, 3 chaffinches, about a dozen sparrows, a pair of blackbirds,a pair of doves and of course a robin who tries to rule the roost!. The jackdaws and magpies are a bit worried about coming close to the house so we have put nut feeders a little further away. I keep the seed feeder (which I have had for a long time) on the patio so I can sweep up the seeds. I put a new nyger feeder and nut basket on the station yesterday and they are in use already. I need to find someone with a good camera to take some photos.

I've neglected this thread for a while, but I'll try and start posting again, even if only once a week. Birds in the garden this month (same as every month really):

• Carrion Crows (2 - 5)
  • Magpies (1 - 3)
  • Jays (10+)
  • Sparrowhawks (2 young males - 1 adult male - 1 - 2 young females)
  • Starlings (12 - 50+)
  • Sparrows (40+)
  • Robin (2)
  • Wren (1 for sure, maybe 2)
  • Chaffinches (3 - 5)
  • Collard Doves (8 - 18)
  • Dunnocks (2)
  • Great Tits (2 - 5)
  • Blue Tits (3 - 5)
  • Long-tailed Tits (see a couple now and again, but the Sparrows scare them off)
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 male)
  • Feral Pigeons (60+ yeah, I know, but I like them)

Also about 6 Squirrels; all this in my 20*20ft garden on a housing estate in London.|=)|

I'd better add a few pics from the last couple of weeks (in case you think I've made it all up), all taken through double glazing, and mostly poor light (my trees shade the garden even when it's sunny).

Great pics Chris and you do brilliantly with birds in your location, especially with the sparrowhawks, jays and woodpecker.

Last edited:
:t: now look out for Redpolls in with them, as they are flying in together and happily feeding together here, so you just never know

Still waiting here for redpolls to join goldfinch flocks Dave. And the two siskins I've had over the last 5 days have not returned and so are one-offs (well maybe, maybe not - I can't watch 24/7 obviously). We normally have to wait until January for regular siskins. But redpolls were here this time last year.

It was Winter 2 years ago Jan-April-09 I had all three small finches swarming about the garden mainly on nyger in good numbers. Fabulous sights.

Last edited:
Greenfinches Anyone?

Just seen 5 r/n parakeets through the side window in a neighbouring rowan tree, 6 doors down round the corner. Glorious green shapes amidst the red berries.

But glorious though these green birds are, I'm really worried about the lack of greenfinches here. I've seen at most 2 greenies in this garden recently but by no means regularly. I saw a lot of concern on "Autumnwatch" on TV about greenfinch numbers and talk of viral diseases. As a child in suburban Gravesend in the '60s they were all over the garden feeding on seed, Winter to Spring, but now here in rural Westerham they are so few in number.

Summer last year there were lots about, presumably a breeding colony nearby, but very few last Winter. This Winter so far is even worse.

I'd be interested to know what experiences you guys out there have had for this old favourite of a bird?

PS The same could be said for house sparrows (farmland changes apparently) and to some extent starlings.

Last edited:
I have never seen a Redpoll so I hope they will come. We have no greenfinches, (we had lots last winter) and during the summer we saw several dead ones which a neighbour said had the viral disease. There have been no other instances of it so I don't know any more than that.

Last edited:
I have never seen a Redpoll so I hope they will come. We have no greenfinches, (we had lots last winter) and during the summer we saw several dead ones which a neighbour said had the viral disease. There have been no other instances of it so I don't know any more than that.

Thanks Busybee - that's very interesting.

By the way you're doing really well so far with your new feeding station. I'm sure the redpolls will come.

And what a beautiful part of the world you live in. You must be only a short drive away from seeing choughs, gannets, kites and many more birding delights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back