• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (9 Viewers)

You are one of the most opinionated posters on here . You're always giving someone the benefit of your 'wisdom' or trying to wind someone up.;)

No, there's people much more "opinionated" than I; you're not looking hard enough.

It's good to defend yourself in a forum, but I find it best to wait until attacked, otherwise you give the appearance of throwing a hissy fit, especially if you resort to name-calling. Incidentally, my original post was directed at anyone that might read the document that you linked to, as I thought that some might read the text as well as look at the pictures. I thought that mentioning that people might want to check with the RSPB and BTO, could help people to make their own minds up about the accurracy of the text in the aforementioned document.

I must also say, that I get the impression that you've been saving this up for some time, which post(s) of mine have upset you so much? It would help me to know which "winding up" was the most successful.

Unfortunately I'm rather busy until after Christmas, but I will check back when I can to see if you've thought up any other names to call me. Try not to repeat any words, as a helpful reminder; you've already used "arrogant - opinionated - son-of-a-bitch".

haven't seen any of my long tailed tits recently :-C

I hope it wasn't because they found the suet feeder empty last time they stopped by lol;)

Attachments

• longtailedtits4.jpg
    longtailedtits4.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 39
  • longtailedtits2.jpg
    longtailedtits2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 40
:t:

Great to see you posting again Will :t:

Try asking on the Warwickshire thread giving a more precise location and someone will certainly ID it for you on that alone mate...... good garden tick whichever one you had
Dave

Hi, well its a regular visitor now, and with a bit of perseverance I was able to catch it on film - see what you think it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp46NbJG16Q

Cheers, Will

excellent video Will ,well done.!:t:

I love the way you can see the tit waiting his turn in the tree :-O

My guess is marsh tit but it is just a guess ;) cheeks completely white, softer wing markings .very narrow beard

Last edited:
Hi folks, I've caught up with the last six weeks of this thread in the last few days - some great photos and video as usual! A brief update from me -

"New" birds - coal tits and dunnocks. Though having now seen quite a few dunnocks, when the snow as at its worst, I can confirm they've been around since early summer but I never had a clear enough view to be sure until now.

Starlings have been very rare visitors since the last chicks fledged but turned out in force when the snow was here - fifteen maybe twenty at a time.

I finally got around to putting up feeders which can be seen from the kitchen and dining room windows. Unbelievably they were an instant success - on the first day I'd seen two nuthatches together on seven occasions. Robins seem to prefer the feeder here too - it's great to be able to watch them when I'm doing the washing-up!

I've been uploading some video of birds at the feeders - hope you like them. First, a feeder we can see from the sofa -

Greenfinch and a few others
Squabbling goldfinches
Collared doves

Outside the kitchen window -
Robin
Nuthatch
Blue and great tits

I finally got around to putting up feeders which can be seen from the kitchen and dining room windows. Unbelievably they were an instant success - on the first day I'd seen two nuthatches together on seven occasions. Robins seem to prefer the feeder here too - it's great to be able to watch them when I'm doing the washing-up!

]
wow you've been busy !;)

I love the videos, excellent quality. It surprised me how much larger the green finches are in comparison to the Goldfinches. We don't get either bird in our gardens so I've never seen them close together before .

The goldfinches are amazing! presumably you could extract some good quality still images from the video ?

I can see the trees and foliage behind the feeder where they all fly back and forth from. That looks like the key to your successful feeders.I am going to try fixing some feeders closer to our windows tomorrow after seeing your vids.:t:

Last edited:
Two from my garden today, The most prominent birds by far!

Congratz on another milestone of post's the thread just keeps rolling on and on.

Have a B :) with me.

Karpman

Attachments

• starling.jpg
    starling.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 36
  • sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 33
Me dog has took to sitting under the bird feeders also.

For a start the birds were somewhat wary of him, Now they just pooh on the daft bugger:-O

Karpman

Attachments

• lurching.jpg
    lurching.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 41
Not having much time for the feeders this weekend. Just caught the usual suspects on them today, Sparrow, Black Bird, Starling, Blue Tit, and a solitary Goldfinch.

And great photo too. Ah the stuff of dreams. You'll be showing us wrynecks next Jos.

Chris (BFB) Congratulations on your 50 garden count. I just wondered what the "rules" were. For example can you include overflying birds such as swifts and canada geese which never land within the garden? If so can you count any birds seen from your house?

RICHAT - Interesting point you have raised there with respect to the rules.
My garden bird count is 26 which "ONLY" includes birds that have fed from the feeders or have landed in the garden.

Had some quality time during the week bird watching with the following birds feeding from the seed and peanut feeders or from the lawn.

Collard Dove
Magpie
Wood Pigeon
Jackdaw
Crow
Black Bird
Starling
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Hedge Sparrow
Dunnock
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Greater Spotted Woodpecker (Male)

The birds listed are regular visitors in which the addition of new birds visiting appears to be slowing up.I guess there is just so many birds that you can attract.
The current garden bird list is 26 which I' m very pleased with but not sure how much higher this will go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back