• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (19 Viewers)

He’s doing quite well at the moment. A stunning sight to see his speed and precision.

Rich
They are a such a great sight in action. I'll never forget the day, years ago when I was a teenager, when one almost took me out flying low behind some garages where we used to get up to mischief. I've been hooked on them ever since. That encounter got me into enjoying birds ever since.

After a slow day on my buzzard watch with my best friend (buzzard nowhere to be seen) the day turned for the better when a greater spotted woodpecker showed up on my feeder. This last month he's become quite a regular. I often see him two or three times a week. He's very acrobatic to get to the sunflower hearts I put out. I have considered putting a feeder up for him but I don't want magpies visiting more than they do.

Waiting on a cage similar to the one below being delivered, then I'll start putting feeders out again rather than ground trays in a rabbit run cage. The one I'm getting is 140H x 120D x 120W

Mesh is 50mm x 50mm so fine for finches, tits etc but still be prohibitive to magpies and pigeons. See how it all goes I guess !!
1701267572699.png

Last edited:
Waiting on a cage similar to the one below being delivered, then I'll start putting feeders out again rather than ground trays in a rabbit run cage. The one I'm getting is 140H x 120D x 120W

Mesh is 50mm x 50mm so fine for finches, tits etc but still be prohibitive to magpies and pigeons. See how it all goes I guess !!
View attachment 1546199
Hahaha! No magpies, no pigeons, no smoking and no naked lights - as I used to protest in my long ago student days: « too many rules man » ;)

First bullfinches of the winter visited this morning following a hard frost and fog. Smorgasboard of usual feed plus berry pellets, white millet and peanut nibs freely scattered for the ground feeding species, the Wood mice can have any leftovers if they're lucky. Feeders being emptied rather rapidly but they needed some warm water, so thirsty.

For those of us with the snow and sub zero temperatures over the weekend, did you notice any difference in the number of visitors or frequency of visits ?

I thought everything was much the same, although the goldfinches were flying overhead more rather than actually landing to feed.

Morning all from a very dreich Perthshire, could be worse :) we've been getting flurries of Long-tailed tits passing through most mornings and evenings now, eleven this morning and a LOT more birds generally every day. Great, Blue & Coal Tits, Starlings, many, many Chaffinches, Goldfinches, a few Greenfinch, Blackbirds, mostly males, Tree & House Sparrows, the odd secretive Dunnock and a Mistle Thrush, makes for great watching and photography attempts :confused: Three GSW on there this morning, let battle commence ;)(y)
20231204 - GSWs on the feeders.jpg 20231204 - GSWs on the feeders .jpg
20231203 - Long-tailed Tit on the suet ball.jpg

Morning all from a very dreich Perthshire, could be worse :) we've been getting flurries of Long-tailed tits passing through most mornings and evenings now, eleven this morning and a LOT more birds generally every day. Great, Blue & Coal Tits, Starlings, many, many Chaffinches, Goldfinches, a few Greenfinch, Blackbirds, mostly males, Tree & House Sparrows, the odd secretive Dunnock and a Mistle Thrush, makes for great watching and photography attempts :confused: Three GSW on there this morning, let battle commence ;)(y)
View attachment 1546946 View attachment 1546947
View attachment 1546948
Fabulous pictures scozmos

I went out to top up the feeders about 30 minutes ago and the Long-tails arrived while I was out there, kept landing right in font of me, "chittering" at me then flying off! Never been so close AND ........... not a phone or camera in sight :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:o_O(n)

Great to see the GSW back at the feeder this cold wet Yorkshire morning. I've not seen him for almost a week, he could be visiting when I'm at work and I've missed him. I wish I could get a great photo like people who post fantastic pics on this wonderful site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back