• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (14 Viewers)

Morning all from a very dreich Perthshire, could be worse :) we've been getting flurries of Long-tailed tits passing through most mornings and evenings now, eleven this morning and a LOT more birds generally every day. Great, Blue & Coal Tits, Starlings, many, many Chaffinches, Goldfinches, a few Greenfinch, Blackbirds, mostly males, Tree & House Sparrows, the odd secretive Dunnock and a Mistle Thrush, makes for great watching and photography attempts :confused: Three GSW on there this morning, let battle commence ;)(y)
View attachment 1546946 View attachment 1546947
View attachment 1546948
Nice photos 👍

hi there, love checking in on here once in a while. Been at this house now since July 2019, and really getting some decent numbers in the garden. Had an amazing year two years ago for Bramblings, had a couple last year and already had one this year too. Loads of Goldfinches stopping by this year. Blackcap been here a few times too. Sparrow Hawk been around a few times too 👍

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present feeder setup version 73.4 :ROFLMAO:

Purchased one of those cages you use for storing gas cylinders, with feeders attached to the roof with carabiner clips. Should probably have gotten the taller cage as getting to the feeders at the back is a bit of a pain, but that's first world problems.

Only put into position on Saturday afternoon, so still waiting for all the birds to get used to it. After a while I can start mixing and matching the food types, no doubt the tweaking will continue forever !

Attachments

• 20231211_154441.jpg
    20231211_154441.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20231211_154455.jpg
    20231211_154455.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present feeder setup version 73.4 :ROFLMAO:

Purchased one of those cages you use for storing gas cylinders, with feeders attached to the roof with carabiner clips. Should probably have gotten the taller cage as getting to the feeders at the back is a bit of a pain, but that's first world problems.

Only put into position on Saturday afternoon, so still waiting for all the birds to get used to it. After a while I can start mixing and matching the food types, no doubt the tweaking will continue forever !
Will keep a keen interest on how this goes 👍🏼

Great to see this thread has good recent activity 👍🏼

Song Thush, Wren, Goldcrest are recent visitors, still getting upto 5 Ring-necked Parakeets visiting the trees between feeding from a neighbouring garden. Tends to be afternoons only

Will keep a keen interest on how this goes 👍🏼
So far all the usual suspects are coming down, just not feeding as often which is to be expected until they decide it's safe to do so.

Coal tit, blue tit and great tit. Greenfinch, goldfinch, bullfinch, chaffinch, robin and dunnock have all fed at some point during the week.

Holes aren't big enough for a blackbird so I had a ground cage delivered last night with larger mesh. Will assemble that and put it out tomorrow.

We arrived at our place in France yesterday evening late. Nobody has been here since mid-November, so the feeders were empty. I filled them up this morning, within five minutes, a March Tit was there, after a bit a flock of Great Tits showed up. Now, about three hours later I noticed the first Nuthatch at the feeder.

Lots of Blue Tits around, but did not see them at the feeder yet.

Last edited:
Carabiner clips that I hang the feeders from at the top of the cage were frozen solid this morning. Spent ages trying to open them, had a very impatient robin, bullfinch and blackbird up on the fence telling me to hurry up in no uncertain terms 😂 😂

Looks like I need to bring both the clips and feeders in overnight until this cold snap passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back