• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting the Algarve for the birds. (2 Viewers)

sferguk

Shaun Ferguson
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'll be visiting the Algarve in July for a 'family' holiday (aka I'll be birding as much as I can) what's the best way to keep abreast of anything special birding wise while there. For instance Mallorca has a group chat on Birdforum run yearly for people visiting call Mallorca 2024 in which anything interesting is posted which is current. Anything like this I could reference for the Algarve or maybe a Facebook group even that anyone knows of?

Hi everyone. I'll be visiting the Algarve in July for a 'family' holiday (aka I'll be birding as much as I can) what's the best way to keep abreast of anything special birding wise while there. For instance Mallorca has a group chat on Birdforum run yearly for people visiting call Mallorca 2024 in which anything interesting is posted which is current. Anything like this I could reference for the Algarve or maybe a Facebook group even that anyone knows of?
following.

I'll be in the Alentejo (just North of the Algarve) in July.
It's a family holiday and I'll mainly be at the Atlantic coast, so I won't go birding besides the occasional walk or maybe 1-2 dedicated mornings (and some night birding).
I don't have any targets but will be targeting steppe birds + Spanish Imperial Eagle E of Castro Verde, Red-necked Nightjar around our accomodation and Alpine accentor on Cabo Sao Vicente.

If I would have been closer, I would have included wetlands S of Faro.

As it's July, I don't expect much in terms of rarities or even migrating birds, so I wouldn't count too much on it, even if you find a good source of information with latest sightings.

thank you temmie. I will be in Faro mid april. probably best time but i wont' be with my birding friends on that portion of the trip. birding friends come mid may and i'm free again in June. Maybe the alentejo is a good place to go. except by that time we will have finished the northern route of the camino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back