• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wandering or Gray-tailed Tattler? November, Hawaiian Islands (Kaua`i) (1 Viewer)

Shorebirdidiot

United States
I know these two species are very difficult to separate. Any help will be appreciated. I did not hear it call. The two images are of the same bird. Photos are heavily cropped.

Attachments

• DSC_0067 copy-DeNoiseAI-clear copy.jpg
    DSC_0067 copy-DeNoiseAI-clear copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0091 copy GT or WT?.jpg
    DSC_0091 copy GT or WT?.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
For me its a non-breeding wandering tattler-
1. Supercilium does not extend much post ocular- grey-tailed the supercilium extends further post ocular.
2. Yellow at base of lower mandible- on a grey tailed it appears as if that the bill is pale towards the base of the bill
3. A personal observation I made was that it also seems as if non-breeding wandering are darker birds while non-breeding grey-tailed tattlers seem to be paler in comparison.
4 (Edit). Though somewhat difficult to access due to the angle of the shot, it seems as if the length of the nasal grove is also better for a wandering tattler, grey tailed tattler have shorter nasal groves.

Edit- After some further research it seems as if the colouration of the bill can vary.

Last edited:
For me its a non-breeding wandering tattler-
1. Supercilium does not extend much post ocular- grey-tailed the supercilium extends further post ocular.
2. Yellow at base of lower mandible- on a grey tailed it appears as if that the bill is pale towards the base of the bill
3. A personal observation I made was that it also seems as if non-breeding wandering are darker birds while non-breeding grey-tailed tattlers seem to be paler in comparison.
4 (Edit). Though somewhat difficult to access due to the angle of the shot, it seems as if the length of the nasal grove is also better for a wandering tattler, grey tailed tattler have shorter nasal groves.

Edit- After some further research it seems as if the colouration of the bill can vary.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back