• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Many are making it to the Midlands today as well: c50 Waxwings in Notts and another one in Leics, while 3 have already made it as far west as the Malverns (Worcs) on Friday, so hopefully more will follow.....

Brian

Seil Island, Argyll. Masses of fieldfare and redwing plus 10 waxwing and a single brambling yesterday (23rd). Main movement seemed to be North. Today northern thrushes still on the move but in smaller numbers. 4 Waxwing flew out across the Firth of Lorne towards the Spelve area of Mull.

I would also add to the above a flock of 50+ jackdaws flying low and fast North - this is very unusual in this area to see such a large flock; usually only twos or threes with a max. of 10.

Havent seen any myself yet but several reports from around the Edinburgh area today, further west good numbers on the Hebrides including several flocks on Barra so its looks like its going to be a very good year for this species in Britain this winter.

Why do they continue on to the Hebrides??? There are loads there today and very few on the east coast. They must have come from Scandinavia, once they hit Britain there are loads of berries. Why carry on to the edge of the civilised world???

Why do they continue on to the Hebrides??? There are loads there today and very few on the east coast. They must have come from Scandinavia, once they hit Britain there are loads of berries. Why carry on to the edge of the civilised world???

Perhaps its all about wind direction or at least where the wind took them, I need Waxwing for my Barra list too (as well as RN Duck) if they stick around this winter I may try for them.

Looking forward to some huge flocks around here first though:t:

Many are making it to the Midlands today as well: c50 Waxwings in Notts and another one in Leics, while 3 have already made it as far west as the Malverns (Worcs) on Friday, so hopefully more will follow.....

Brian

I hope so, Brian! Planted a rowan a few years ago, but of course, the blackbirds have already stripped that. Still, the new Viburnum opulus have at least 12 berries for the first time- maybe...........:-O

Orkney seems to have more than its fair share today with flocks of 250+,100+ several of 50+....Its been a fantastic day!!

Dafi In Action

I just loved the way you were stalking the birds in the garden whilst this bunch were stalking you!

Attachments

• Dafi In Action.jpg
    Dafi In Action.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 258
Thats about par for the course for me...cant see the woods for the trees:-O

Attachments

• P1030069.JPG
    P1030069.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 214
But why are they being found on the West coast (Arran has loads)---you'd think after a 200 mile+ sea crossing that they would feed up and drift gently west as they used up the food. Maybe they are starting in the west and will get here next spring in time to do the hop back to Scandinavia!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back