• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (2 Viewers)

there have been reports of waxwing in holland haven cp,near walton on the naze.
I believe there were 3 flocks reported,one was a flock of 9,not sure the sizes of the other flocks.
Also RL buzzard has been seen in the same area

Birds already in France aswell.

I think we are in for a long cold winter. Look at all the arctic birds already. Both eastern and western.

We have settled snow down to 800 metres and falling at 600 metres.

30000 Cranes in North West France!!

Batten down the hatches. Actually, go and lob a few dead cod on the beach and wait for the Ivory Gull...

Im sure i read some where on the forum the other day that the berry crop is very poor across northern europe this year. Does anybody know what the score is ??

If the berry crop is really poor, we should await more interesting Scandinavian birds. Influx in the Netherlands as well (40 sites listed on Dutch Bird Alert) – and very early. Apparently, the biggest influx there (1965-66) also started early. At least this gives me a fighting chance to get them on my UK self-found list.

Why do they continue on to the Hebrides??? There are loads there today and very few on the east coast. They must have come from Scandinavia, once they hit Britain there are loads of berries. Why carry on to the edge of the civilised world???

The Hebrides the edge of the civilised world? Waxwings keep going a lot further west than that: the first wave reached Iceland on Sunday where the trees are groaning under the weight of berries.

Out of curiosity I checked yesterdays sighting for Waxwing on the "Tiira" recording pages...the top 5 by number of birds (828, 525, 500, 450 and 200) were all located on the South or SW coast...add to that, as I stated on this or another thread on here, the volume of berries on my local trees (by the bus stop...which makes for a nice start to the day...watching Waxies wolf down berries) suggests there'll be little reward in them staying around locally this year...off to see what the reports for hawk owls, grozzers, etc have to tell me now...

Last edited:
Suspected I might see a few Waxwings on my way to work today and sure enough around eight were flycatching in the trees at the University. Not very big numbers here in 'Britain's Waxwing capital' but I expect we'll see a few more over the coming days and weeks.

Don't know what the rest of the UK is like but in our part of West Yorks the rowans had very few berries at the end of summer, high winds blew a lot off and there's loads of starlings scoffing them. If this is repeated elsewhere even Cornwall could expect decent sized flocks.

Don't know what the rest of the UK is like but in our part of West Yorks the rowans had very few berries at the end of summer, high winds blew a lot off and there's loads of starlings scoffing them. If this is repeated elsewhere even Cornwall could expect decent sized flocks.

loads of rowan berries in halifax at the moment and even 26 waxwings this afternoonB :)

Given the number of waxwings in the UK and their photogenic appeal, how many photos will be uploaded to Birguides before winter is out? Currently 1937 photos, my guess is that will double.

Some in London today so hopefully we`ll get some in Hampshire(goes to check the local supermarkets car parks)

Steve.

I was really hoping for some good shots today, the colours on the leaves would make a fantastic background. They didn't come anywhere near, way up in the tops of some tatty sycamores and then dashing off to catch flies. Another day..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back