• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What hummingbird is this? (1 Viewer)

I have a series of photos of this hummingbird from Rancho Naturalista near Turrialba in Costa Rica in early March 2020. It does not match any birds in my Birds of Costa Rica book exactly. It is close to a female Snowcap, but the bill is too long. The white on the neck and chest do not extend down the entire body, eliminating a few other possibilities. I have been looking at photos online, because the bird book I have is all drawings. My brain hurts. Can anyone help me?CRhummer.jpg

Thanks, andyadcock. That makes sense. I was concerned that the white on the chest did not continue down on my photo compared with the drawing in my bird book. However, I have now Googled the Coppery-headed Emerald (female) and seen a lot of variation on this point. But the bill is right and the flash of turquoise is seen on some of the photos with the same label. The size also seems right as it is one of the smaller hummingbirds. My book also says I was in its range.

Looks like a female Coppery-headed Emerald to me, you can just make out, white, tail corners.

I'm not sure it is. For that species, I think we'd expect: shorter, more obviously curved bill; purer white underparts (even allowing for colour cast), probably some indication of a coppery rump (and probably no bluish shoulder patch, at least not of that colour in that location). Instead, my best guess is this is female crowned Woodnymph: also has whitish tail corners.

I'm not sure it is. For that species, I think we'd expect: shorter, more obviously curved bill; purer white underparts (even allowing for colour cast), probably some indication of a coppery rump (and probably no bluish shoulder patch, at least not of that colour in that location). Instead, my best guess is this is female crowned Woodnymph: also has whitish tail corners.

I considered that and the bill length but thought the bird looked too small for the Woodnymph.

I considered that and the bill length but thought the bird looked too small for the Woodnymph.

I agree it looks small but honestly I don't know how we can reliably judge this in this picture. Of the points I noted, I think bill length/shape and underpart colour the most telling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back