• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favourite tick of the year so far? (1 Viewer)

a nightjar flying 4 ft above me, watching me was so unforgetable.
a greater horseshoe bat so also pretty wicked.

Well, if I'd been with Larry's group it might have been the Bay-breasted Warbler--I managed to miss it and about a dozen others. Others had the same misfortune and people were beginning to talk of Jonahs and bad karma.

Ahh, but the best tick of the year? The most recent, of course (it always is). And a great one it was: Green Violet-ear. Last week this gem was coming to a feeder in Grundy Co., Iowa, about 260 miles from my home. Among the things that made it special were the gracious host and hostess in whose kitchen we sat and watched the bird at a feeder 6 feet away. Also special was seeing names I knew on the guest list, and learning that at least 16 Missourians made the trip and saw the bird after I did.

It's always a special treat to share a lifer with good friends--sometimes seeing it together and sometimes comparing experiences later.

Good birding!
Phalarope

Seeing a Yellow Browed Warbler at Titchwell this week which was made better because I had searched for it for a long time and I had given up and was about to head home.

Max.

A close call between the sooty tern and the belted kingfisher, the tern just gets it for me! Got to say seeing the wrynecks at spurn, altho not lifers, really is a treat.

salty, can you say whether the rspb has any intention of releasing details or setting up a watchpoint for the eagle owls? Would love to see them but appreciate the sensitivity.

For me, it has to be the flock (!) of five Buff-breasted Sandpipers that I saw and photographed at Maumee Bay State Park in northern Ohio. Several other birders and I drove down there, and started looking. We found them immediately and spent two hours with them. They often would would within a few feet of us, and at one point one came within a foot of my face.

SimonC said:
Mine would have to be either the Wryneck I found on my local patch or the Yellow-browed Warbler at Titchwell yesterday. Both birds I've really wanted to see for ages (even dreamt of finding them - sad or what?!)

But if I have to choose just one then it has to be the Wryneck, just because I found it!

Simon totally agree with you. Saw a YB yesterday - gorgeous little chap but the birds of the year have to be.

Firecrest - found at Dunster Castle last week whilst being a tourist

Jack Snipe 2 hours ago. Found at Rye Meads. Forgot me scope so coudn't id but I was the only person in the hide to spot "something interesting" hidden in the reeds and put the chap with scope on it. Lovely little fella.

Note toself take scope !!

no UK lifers for me this year yet, however the Hawfinch which bounded past my kitchen window about 3/4's of an hour ago is a new one for my Inner London list

Best lifer was a female Red Headed Woodpecker. Best year tick was a Sharpy reducing the Bluejay population at our feeder. A lot of bird for the Sharp Shinned Hawk. All of the Jays buddies screamed raucously at the hawk during the whole ordeal.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back