• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What size bino do you travel with? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all the feedback info!

Thank you for all cross section useful feedback on this "What size bino do you travel with?"!

I understand that most people here are chasing after birds, but I am more interested in the wilderness search & rescue and hence it is as important to be light (in terms of weight) as to being image light (bright image near dusk and dawn).

Since most of my work is done in daytime, hence I would prefer a lighter 10x25BR.

Only do I know I am going to need extra light gathering power, the 10x42FL stays home.

Hope this help with your choices.

I wonder what size binoculars would most of you bring along when traveling? The 8x20 pocket size? Or the 32mm mid size? Or the full size 42mm?

I take my Swarovski 8x20 everywhere - good for cities (I used it to look at the Mona Lisa today - fantastic) and hiking where every ounce counts. For trips where weight and size is less important I use my Nikon HD 10x32. Not great for travelling but best for bird watching is my trusty Nikon SE 8x32 (the best optically I have ever used).

Steve

travel + serious birding = premium compact 8x32 (e.g. Zeiss 8x32 FL, Leica 8x32)
travel + butterflies, casual birding in familiar areas = premium pocket roof (Leica 8x20 Ultravid)

--AP

I take my Ultravid 8X20s everywhere. They are always with me.

I have no problem with them either with the eye relief or the low light situations, as some have said. Maybe I just don't know better. I am just glad to have them. I also have a pair of 10X25 Ultravids, but find them to be too shaky at 10X, so I seldom take them.

When I have the room, when traveling, I will take 2 pair, the 8X20s and also a pair of larger Canons, either the 12X36 II IS or the 18X50 IS. I absolutely love the image stabilization of those bins. It is an amazing technology. I can read things like aircraft IDs, or ship names literally miles away. (I am not a birder per se. More into aviation and maritime).

On a recent trip to Florida I took my 10x42 Redhead binoculars (my only pair, but that will soon change). They did fine on the swamp boardwalks, as well as through the airport. They are just a little bit heavy, though.

It is interesting to see that practically everyone has several binoculars. I have the Swaro 8,5x42 SV and even though they are heavy, they are so good that I don't want to be without them. I sold my SLC 8x30 neu for the new ones, even though I knew that the smaller ones are a perfect travel compromise, but it just seemed outrageous to have two binos of more or less the same magnification at these prices. So I guess that I will have to take the SVs even when something lighter might be convenient ...

It is interesting to see that practically everyone has several binoculars. I have the Swaro 8,5x42 SV and even though they are heavy, they are so good that I don't want to be without them. I sold my SLC 8x30 neu for the new ones, even though I knew that the smaller ones are a perfect travel compromise, but it just seemed outrageous to have two binos of more or less the same magnification at these prices. So I guess that I will have to take the SVs even when something lighter might be convenient ...

Until the Swaro 8x32 SV come out. Ah, more money! ;)

it just depends:
-in my truck an 8x32
-in my wife's care 6.5x19 + 6x30 monocular
-in RV 65mm spotting scope
then I add optics for the specific need of the trip

edj

It is interesting to see that practically everyone has several binoculars. I have the Swaro 8,5x42 SV ... but it just seemed outrageous to have two binos of more or less the same magnification at these prices.
For the price of a Swarovision, you can easily buy two other top tier binoculars, whether or not on the 2nd hand market. ;)

Invariably I take my trusty Swaro 10x25 SLC on travel, to concerts, and so forth. My wife takes her Swaro 8x20 SLC. Err, ... that is, I carry them for her. ;)

Ed

Since my wife has confiscated my Leica 8x20 binos for her very own (and exclusive use), I now carry a Zeiss 8x30 B monocular which fits in most shirt pockets of mine. Its view equals any minature I've used and have had, but then I'm not as demanding as I once was.
John

Depends on the type of travel but the bins I still use most often are my 10x25's. If I'm traveling in my camping van I'll add another pair like my 8x32 SE's or Canon 10x30 IS, the latter especially if I think I'll be doing any star gazing.

If birding is one of the activities planned on the trip, I take my regular birding binoculars. In the past, those were my 10X42 Leica BAs, now they're my 8X32 Leica BAs. The first time I went to Europe (first time outside North America), I brought along my 80 mm scope too. Birding wasn't the principal goal of that trip, but I knew I would have at least a few days where I could bird seriously and wanted the scope to see a lot of birds I knew would be new for me.

As I've grown older, I'm less likely to schlepp a scope around--and the 8X32s really work just fine for most birding--serious or casual. Just this week, however, I ordered a pair of 8X20 Ultravid compacts--mostly because I was leaving my 8X32s at home or in the hotel when I was traveling in cities--and also leaving them (not easily accessible) in my backpack while hiking because their weight bothers my back after hours of walking. I'm hoping the 8X20s become the binoculars I take with me when I'm not really birding, but just want to be prepared in case something interesting flies by.

I may someday again get a binocular with a 42 mm or even 50 mm objective for more serious birding (including when traveling), but those 8X32s are hard to beat in most situations and a nice size and weight for any travel except (in my opinion) travel where birding would only be an incidental activity--you, know, you're having a glass of wine with your non-birding friends at a cafe in Paris and all of a sudden your life Eurasian Hobby flies over . . that's the travel niche I'm hoping the 8X20s fill.

... those 8X32s are hard to beat in most situations and a nice size and weight for any travel except (in my opinion) travel where birding would only be an incidental activity--you, know, you're having a glass of wine with your non-birding friends at a cafe in Paris and all of a sudden your life Eurasian Hobby flies over . . that's the travel niche I'm hoping the 8X20s fill.

I agree - 8x32s are almost perfect for travelling, and 8x20s (or, in my case, 10x25s) are ideal for situations where birding isn't the main activity.

However, on any trip when I may do any "real" birding, I won't leave my scope at home. No way. I may take a monopod instead of a tripod, but I always carry a scope just in case.

Hermann

Since I always go "hand luggage only" when I fly to Spain, the size/weight of my optics is an issue. I can just about squeeze a Nikon 50mm scope, lightweight tripod, Panasonic camera and various essentials into my carry on luggage. Binoculars, I slip into the pockets of my travel vest which means I take my trusty 8x32 SEs. If going elsewhere with hold luggage that's where the tripod goes and I can squeeze in my 8x42 Zeiss into my hand luggage as they're too bulky for my jacket's pockets. However, more often than not I take my SEs anyway - in part because I usually plan to do some light hiking where weight is again an issue. I am currently thinking of getting a pair of 8x32 Opticron Traveller bins (380gm) for travel/hiking as they're lighter and slimmmer than my SEs (albeit less stellar optically). I don't get on too well with 20/25mm bins so Mrs C has them. The Opticrons are actually lighter than some reverse porro 8x25/26 bins so I may try to persuade her she needs the Opticron bins!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back