• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Mary Evelyn said:
Oh lucky you David.
I have seed down on the ground but we put a picnic table out back for the birds along with the usual tables and feeders because we do have a lot of cats coming in.Keeps the birds up off the ground and thats where the Bullfinch was.Working full time makes it a bit difficult to be precise but on my days off, I will keep a lookout.My hubby thinks it was taking black sunflower seeds but isn't sure.
Thanks for the advice though David.Enjoy yours.

Yep. They seem a bit partial to the black sunflower seeds. Good luck.

There was the usual house sparrows, tits, greenfinches and I think some young starlings but I can't get close enough to be sure.
I fed the cheeky Robin today buy picking out chafer grubs from the ground I was digging over. She (or maybe he) ate one and flew back to the nest with the others. She ate the smallest one and must have given the biggest ones to her chicks. :clap:

David Pedder said:
Yep. They seem a bit partial to the black sunflower seeds. Good luck.
Really thrilled David,
Bullfinch came onto the table at 1.30 and stayed feeding for 10 mins.then flew up into the snowberry,then Birch and took off with it's partner(I think) so so thrilled.
It was stunning and I am so pleased I was able to watch it for so long.I hope they become a regular visitor.

We also have had a lot of young Sparrows down today,all flapping their little wings and looking cute.

New addition

greenfinch today, only the second time i have ever seen them, there were a pair last week but this one today seemed to be flying solo, only interested in the peanut feeders and left the seed feeders alone

dave

The mallard pair arrived early as usual. Today she was not bothered by the second drake who often flies in. He fancies her but she definitely does not fancy him. I saw the first fledglings today: three or four baby Starlings. They hung around with their beaks wide open while parents busily fed them. Madame Blackbird is nesting in our hedge and Monsieur was jigging about keeping his eye on her and occasionally bursting into song.

Great tit on the nut feeder, several House Sparrows, Dunnocks, and a Herring Gull came down, sat on the roof of the bird-table and dropped into the bird bath!!!!! Oh for my camera – as usual did not have it to hand when needed. Robin sang richly all day (still singing!)

Weather:drizzle. Wind: calm.

Nerine

We had two song thrushes today, sitting on a low branch on a laburnum tree. I assume one was a female, but I was confused about the other one. Could it have been a juvenile as it had a dark breast patch just below its chin, otherwise the markings were just like its mum.
Hope you can help as I am a bit of a novice. I suppose everyone has to start at some time. I had a stroke two years ago so cant get out as much as I would like to, but I do enjoy the birds in the garden. Hopefully my days of hill walking will come again.
Mary

one of my favorite birds, 3 Spotted Flycatchers back this morning, pair already exploring nest sites o:)

earlier than last year so hoping they have a good year.

also 2 Mistle Thrush, and watched Nuthatch taking nest material into a hole in flint wall.

edit: set up scope at work aimed at Birch tree where they like to perch and one landed next to me in an Apple tree, almost too close for the scope!

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 79
  • fly2.jpg
    fly2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Had two baby starlings yesterday and 1 baby dunnocks the blue and great tits have almost stopped coming now even though they were nesting in the nestboxes i even saw the great tits taking in caterpillars!

Had a nice Yellow-billed Cuckoo poking around in the tops of the trees a bit ago. Really an awesome bird. Lots of Blackpoll Warblers still singing, a few Red-eyed Vireos, and a really nice male American Redstart. Now back to work...

Not much in the garden today don't no why a pair of blackbirds, 1. robin 2. jackdaws 1. magpie 7. adult Starlings + 4 young 2. wood pigeons 1. male house sparrow & thats all from 3:15pm to 7:50pm .

Regards Snapper.

A black bear!!!! <see my other posts>...................................

Oh.... I guess this thread is just for birds, huh?? ;) Got a few of them too! :)

A black bear!!!!

:eek!:

glad I only see a fox occasionally ;)

BIG raptor went over high today, not Buzzard or Kite, from profile would guess a Harrier but didn't have bins nearby.

pair of Spotted Flycatchers exploring an Ivy covered wall kept me entertained all afternoon (not easy getting any work done), also few Goldfinch on the feeders for first time in months. Usual mix of Tits/Finch and a female GS Woodpecker.

Had a Chaffinch and my local blackbird who is as about as bold as my Robin. Plenty of sparrows and a nice little Wren.

some good birds first thing this morning o:)

Spotted Fly, Turtle Dove, Hobby chasing House Martins (while being chased by angry Swallows) several GS Woodpecker and a calling Little Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back