• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Hi Matt,

From all the BirdForum Moderators and Administration, Welcome!

We are glad to have you join us in our appreciation of nature, especially wild birds.

We hope you find this site enjoyable and rewarding.

Had my first positive id of a Dunnock in the garden today, not just the excitement of a new bird in the garden, but the added excitement of being able to differentiate between a dunnock and a sparrow despite being colourblind! :eat:

I decided to bring my feeders closer to the house until next summer. I made a little brush pile with an old christmas tree and some branches. When I looked outside I saw what I believe to be a female Sharp-shinned Hawk on top of one of the tomato stakes in my garden. She then landed on the ground next to the brush pile and slowly circled it. Finally the hawk dove right in to the christmas tree and attempted to grab a bird. 3 small birds shot out the other end and flew away. That was fascinating to watch!

not having a garden (seven floors up ~ gotta love vis mig though), spent 15 minutes 'scoping a Grey and two Pied Wagtails run around a puddle on a local garage roof ... and that was about the extent of it ...

Starting to get significant numbers of house sparrow, goldfinch and greenfinch in the garden now - size of flocks having increased over the past 2-3 weeks. Goldfinch are going for the nyger seed and just don't seem to be able to get enough of it. House sparrows are making the most of the seed blend dotted around the garden in various feeders and the greenfinch will just about take anything they can get hold of. Boy, can't they squabble though - don't know which is more entertaining the kids or the birds and at least this entertainment is free, something you need to consider especially if they decide to bump TV licences up to £200!!
Starling numbers in the immediate area are increasing but they haven't decided to take advantage of the suet cakes etc that we have out yet. Sparrowhawk still hanging around and is just about a daily sight. Jackdaws and Rooks use the treetops and the chimney as a regular lookout and this year there certainly appears to more than has previously been sighted. We have a pair of collared doves regularly feeding in the garden together with wren, robin, blue tit, great tit and blackbird. A solitary dunnock was seen in the neighbours garden but hasn't been enticed into ours yet. However, we did see a pied wagtail over the weekend a visitor that becomes more frequent as the weather conditions deteriorate (and its been grim so far this week!). Haven't seen many chaffinches yet though, just the odd one now and then usually amongst the greenfinch, until they get chased off that is. They do tend to decline in number during the summer months but seem a little late returning.

Finally, and to our delight, a squirrel has become a regular visitor - to keep it from raiding the peanut feeders though we've bought it it's very own blend - I know some would say we're a soft touch ...........

Ooh lucky you!
Well I spent an hour and a half cleaning the feeders in the frezzing cold at 7 this morning, and have been rewarded with the green and goldfinches, which I haven't seen for a couple of weeks, and blue, great and coal tits.
Blackies have started coming back as well, and the robin is a regular.
And the woodpigeon stealing the squirrels nuts...scrounger!! :eat:

Chris-did you know you can buy squirrel feeders? We've had one for a couple of years and they're excellent- stops anything else stealing the food (usually-as long as the squirrel puts the lid down after him! grr :storm: ) and you can keep tabs on how much they're getting each day, which comes in very handy...You get them along with all the bird feeders in the shop.

turkish van said:
Ooh lucky you!
Well I spent an hour and a half cleaning the feeders in the frezzing cold at 7 this morning, and have been rewarded with the green and goldfinches, which I haven't seen for a couple of weeks, and blue, great and coal tits.
Blackies have started coming back as well, and the robin is a regular.
And the woodpigeon stealing the squirrels nuts...scrounger!! :eat:

Chris-did you know you can buy squirrel feeders? We've had one for a couple of years and they're excellent- stops anything else stealing the food (usually-as long as the squirrel puts the lid down after him! grr :storm: ) and you can keep tabs on how much they're getting each day, which comes in very handy...You get them along with all the bird feeders in the shop.

Well I only had a few blue tits this morning but i'm waiting for the fieldfares to make a start on the rowan berries

still got a few Chiffchaffs around, plenty of Goldfinch, usual mix of Tits and a GS W.

no sign of any Fieldfare/Redwing here yet.

Richard W said:
still got a few Chiffchaffs around, plenty of Goldfinch, usual mix of Tits and a GS W.

no sign of any Fieldfare/Redwing here yet.

There's been a few flying over my work this morning, but that's all I've seen so far.

baphomet said:
Well I only had a few blue tits this morning but i'm waiting for the fieldfares to make a start on the rowan berries

Me too baphomet. Loads of rowan berries at the back and evn more apples on the ground...which I accidentaly forgot to pick up ;) ! Oh no...disaster...well at least there's some for the thrushes I said! He he...

Last edited:
not quite in the confines of the garden - Tawny Owl calling at 5 o clock this morning in the next door cemetary. he is a regular but its a nice way to wake up.

2 Buzzards circling this afternoon, plus what looked like a Juv Kestrel being harrassed by Jackdaws.

Chiffchaffs still calling.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back