• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your most used binocular? (1 Viewer)

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Smaller, so more likely I will have them in a jacket pocket during the cold weather months. I only pack the 8x42 when specifically intending to go birdwatching or sightseeing rather than opportunistically.

I suppose I always carry my Nikon 5x15 HG monoculars, but they are not binoculars.

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Smaller, so more likely I will have them in a jacket pocket during the cold weather months. I only pack the 8x42 when specifically intending to go birdwatching or sightseeing rather than opportunistically.

I suppose I always carry my Nikon 5x15 HG monoculars, but they are not binoculars.

My Victory 8x25 get used extensively. Great binocular to always have to hand even iof busy in the city.

My Victory 8x25 get used extensively. Great binocular to always have to hand even iof busy in the city.
I have a ScotteVest jacket with lots of pockets, and yes, I usually carry the VP 8x25 with me at all times, but the unseasonably hot summer meant no jackets and no pockets for carry.

Most-used overall - Swaro EL-SV 8x32. It's not my favorite bino, but I use it the most because it's ER lets me use it w/sunglasses. I live in very bright areas.

Most-used this past year - Leica 7x35 Retrovid. No particular reason - I just like it. Plus it is fun to watch other birders trying to figure out what I am using. You can tell when someone is paying close attention to what is hanging in front of your chest.

Most-used this past month - Meopta 8x32 Meostar (Cabela's variant). It is my "truck bino", and since I haven't made any trips lately that are specifically to use binoculars, the viewing I did do was just quick unplanned stops that lasted only a short time.

Most-used today - Nikon EII 10x35. I keep it on the windowsill that faces the back yard and the mountain top beyond. Since we keep feeders in the backyard, I get to view birds every day from the comfort of my living room.

Most-used tomorrow - ehhh... probably the Nikon. I'm not planning on going anywhere............

Leica 8x32 UV HD+. Light, great contrast, resistant to flare, very sharp.
For me its my Leica Ultravid 8x20. Every time I'm out walking along our local river and Countryside the Ultravid's are in my pocket. Absolutely love them.
Two of my favorites, but it's the 8x20 Ultravid that is always with me and gets used every single day, even over my 7x21 Curio.

Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD+. It provides a very stable platform with adequate magnification, unmatched color saturation, very reasonable weight, and an excellent wide field of view.
Such a good quality all rounder, if they had a bit better transmission id have one instead of the SLC.

Leica Trinovid 10x25 BCA for the daily walks with the dogs. Trinovid 8x42 BA when birding comes to the fore. Plus Meopta S2 20-70x82 for blind and long-range observations. I have sold all other devices; no regrets.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking we've not got a single nl yet!

Seems like 32mm and less is a very popular choice, victory pockets being especially favoured along with the retrovids. I've had a good bird up outside the tent with the opticron srga 8x32's this morning, now there collimated properly I'm really enjoying the little guys, all you really need. Lots of fly overs in the environs of the blackwater estuary in England today, I think I'm up to 20 odd species without a great deal of effort!

Will

Am I right in thinking we've not got a single nl yet!

Seems like 32mm and less is a very popular choice, victory pockets being especially favoured along with the retrovids. I've had a good bird up outside the tent with the opticron srga 8x32's this morning, now there collimated properly I'm really enjoying the little guys, all you really need. Lots of fly overs in the environs of the blackwater estuary in England today, I think I'm up to 20 odd species without a great deal of effort!

Will
Anyone not into optics who look through my CL8x25's are completely blown away.
It's only the die hards on here, going on about exit pupil, kidney beans, black outs, glare etc etc etc that really care.
NL's and the like (over 2k) are for a very small group of people really into their optics and demand the very very best.
Most folk are happy with a nice lightweight small bino, and it shows.
There's a lot of love for the retrovid, and various pocket binos.
I still rate Conquests as superb, along with Swaro CL's, Leica Ultra's....
'Mid range' stuff is so good, you've got to go some to justify 2 or three times the cost.
I can't.... some can.
I can't ever imagine the need to buy NL's personally, but fully understand those that do.
My little CL's still see more use than my Meostars and never disappoint 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back