• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which (if any) Porro would you consider an "Alpha" ? (1 Viewer)

Torview

Maybe you own such and would never consider an Alpha roof ?

I`m really bitten by a good Porro`s view, and aim to add the best I can find to my modest binocular collection.

Current best Porro Optolyth Alpin 8x30.

The truth is there are MANY porros that offer an alpha roof quality of view. In center focus porros the Nikon EII's, Nikon SE's, and Swaro Habicht's all provide alpha views. If using your a porro for long range terrestrial viewing or for astronomy consider one of IF focus marine/astronomy binoculars from Fujinon, Nikon, or Pentax. I've also heard that some of the Swift Audubon porros are really great but have no experience with them.

Some people don't like to hear it (they take it as a personal slur against their alpha roof) but I currently use several porros that match my alpha roofs optically. If I were you and wanting to purchase a great porro I would snatch up a 8x30 EII while they're still available on you side of the pond.....Nikon doesn't offer them here anymore.

Steve

My current favorite porro is the Vixen Foresta 7x50. It certainly provides alpha level image quality plus that tantalizing 3D effect.

Last edited:
Yet current favorite porto is the Vixen Foresta 7x50. It certainly provides alpha level image quality plus that tantalizing 3D effect.

But how many 7x50 Forestas have an exceptional close focus like your sample? The listed close focus is 38.2 ft. That doesn't mean it's not a "alpha quality" but the alphas we discuss on BF are for bird watching, and a 38 ft. close focus is not "birdworthy" for a 7x bin, I'd opine.

<B>

Maybe you own such and would never consider an Alpha roof ?

I`m really bitten by a good Porro`s view, and aim to add the best I can find to my modest binocular collection.

Current best Porro Optolyth Alpin 8x30.

You might not want to buy another porro in the same configuration, but I'd bet dollars to donut holes that the Nikon 8x30 EII would "best" your Optolyth.

Or if you're looking for a compliment to your 8x30, get the 10x35 EII.

If Hardrada had this deadly 8x/10x EII combo when he invaded northern England in 1066, he would probably have defeated King Harold at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, and you'd be speaking Norwegian today :).

Ha det!

<B>

Thanks All

I`m in no doubt the EII would walk all over the Optolyth from memory of it, little bit hesitant about the handling of the EII, if memory serves the objectives are almost flush with nowhere to rest one`s pinkie`s, the Alpin is great here with little rubber extensions which fit my hands a treat.

What was the last Zeiss porro of note ?

Did`nt know there was a 10x35EII, what about the 10x42SE ?, this might also compliment my others ?

Steve I saw the pics you posted on the Habicht thread, if you could only keep one which would it be ?

Apparently, King Harold was last heard to say, "Watch Him, He`ll have someone`s eye out".

Last edited:
But how many 7x50 Forestas have an exceptional close focus like your sample? The listed close focus is 38.2 ft. That doesn't mean it's not a "alpha quality" but the alphas we discuss on BF are for bird watching, and a 38 ft. close focus is not "birdworthy" for a 7x bin, I'd opine.

<B>

Yes and the Sightron 8x32 has a listed close focus distance of 18 feet. ;)

Assuming the "regular" close focus is 38 feet...38 feet is about 13 yards. That is about the distance from my back window to my feeder and certainly closer than the majority of birds I see when out birding.

On the other hand there are 8x32 and 8x42 configurations of this model that certainly could be considered. I have owned the 8x42 and it is nearly as good as the 7x50. I think Stet was going to pick up the 8x32 so maybe he can chime in.

What was the last Zeiss porro of note ?

Zeiss still have one porro of note, the 7x50 BGAT. It is, however, IF and therefore not really ideal for birding. The stabalized 20x60S is also a porro, but I trust you weren't talking about monster-sized porros ... :)

The last Zeiss porro with modern coatings was the 15x60 BGAT, a very fine binocular. All the older porros (8x30, 8x30B, 8x50B, 10x50) had only single-layer coatings. They're very sharp, but contrast isn't anywhere like in a modern alpha.

Did`nt know there was a 10x35EII, what about the 10x42SE ?, this might also compliment my others ?

The Nikon 10x42 SE (like it's smaller brother, the 8x32 SE) is a great binocular and most certainly an alpha. I'd go for one of the Nikons or one of the Swarovski Habichts, either the 8x30 or the 10x40. The Habicht 7x42 has a pretty narrow field of view.

Hermann

Last edited:
I second the Vixen 7x50. Even though it is kind of big and heavy for my wife, she still does not give it back if she gets ahold of it first. I do not think it is heavy compared to my other porros. It is a very good binocular. I have not measured my close focus exactly but the other day I was focused on a bird about 12 feet away and it was focused.

I've been very impressed with the Nikon 10x42 SE and believe it compares quite favorably with my Zeiss 7x42 TFL in terms of view quality. Obviously there are differences in terms of the type of view between these two and my experience with the SE is limited to the past two weeks as it's a recent purchase, but I did use them both extensively on a weeklong flyfishing/birding trip to the Blackfeet reservation in Montana.

It falls short in the areas you would expect as it's not as well protected versus the elements (I had no issues during the trip but used the Zeiss on rainy days) and the differences inherent between 7 and 10x but is certainly alpha level in terms of the view. I've never had the opportunity to work with the Nikon EII's but understand that they are excellent as well- the SE's are much easier to acquire in the US however.

The truth is there are MANY porros that offer an alpha roof quality of view. In center focus porros the Nikon EII's, Nikon SE's, and Swaro Habicht's all provide alpha views. If using your a porro for long range terrestrial viewing or for astronomy consider one of IF focus marine/astronomy binoculars from Fujinon, Nikon, or Pentax. I've also heard that some of the Swift Audubon porros are really great but have no experience with them.

Some people don't like to hear it (they take it as a personal slur against their alpha roof) but I currently use several porros that match my alpha roofs optically. If I were you and wanting to purchase a great porro I would snatch up a 8x30 EII while they're still available on you side of the pond.....Nikon doesn't offer them here anymore.

Steve
I just did that. I missed my Nikon 8x30 EII so I bought one from a guy in the UK. $500.00 shipped and it is supposed to be as new. The Vortex Talon 8x32 HD lost it's appeal after trying it's bigger brother and I want something with a big FOV. He had it on E-bay and I made a deal with him. I really feel EII's and SE's value are going to skyrocket with their increasing scarcity. Get one why you can if you like porro's.

Last edited:
I've been very impressed with the Nikon 10x42 SE and believe it compares quite favorably with my Zeiss 7x42 TFL in terms of view quality. Obviously there are differences in terms of the type of view between these two and my experience with the SE is limited to the past two weeks as it's a recent purchase, but I did use them both extensively on a weeklong flyfishing/birding trip to the Blackfeet reservation in Montana.

It falls short in the areas you would expect as it's not as well protected versus the elements (I had no issues during the trip but used the Zeiss on rainy days) and the differences inherent between 7 and 10x but is certainly alpha level in terms of the view. I've never had the opportunity to work with the Nikon EII's but understand that they are excellent as well- the SE's are much easier to acquire in the US however.
" the SE's are much easier to acquire in the US however"

That is changing. The SE is getting real hard to find and there value is going up. Get one why you can if you want one.

I've Nikon 8x42 HG purchased new (not by me) in the year 2000 for £1000 and the view, wonderful as it is, is eclipsed by the view through my 8x32 SEs (500xxx serial) which I believe date from around 1998 (i.e. pre eco-glass).

If you can live with lack of waterproofing and I think you will have to with porros, and you don't suffer the reported "black-out" issues with the SE models, then 8x32SE will give you the most terrific view you can get, never mind the best view you can get for your money.

I've Nikon 8x42 HG purchased new (not by me) in the year 2000 for £1000 and the view, wonderful as it is, is eclipsed by the view through my 8x32 SEs (500xxx serial) which I believe date from around 1998 (i.e. pre eco-glass).

If you can live with lack of waterproofing and I think you will have to with porros, and you don't suffer the reported "black-out" issues with the SE models, then 8x32SE will give you the most terrific view you can get, never mind the best view you can get for your money.
Both the SE and EII have a great view. The SE view is a flatter, smaller FOV and sharper to the edge and the EII has a huge FOV with less sharp edges but IMO you don't notice them because the FOV is so big. The EII is like standing OUTSIDE the binocular and looking at the bird. I like them both but prefer the EII. I also prefer the size and ergonomics of the EII. Both of them are getting hard to find.

Here is an interesting porro on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USSR-6x24-R...3146174987869845&_qi=RTM1084479#ht_500wt_1413

Last edited:
Hello,

For me the only really ALFA Porro is the Swarovski Habicht. All of them: 8x30, 7x40 and 10x40. I have owned the 8x30 and 10x40. Several of both. From the 70´s. Today I have one of the last 10x40 WGA with the newest lens coatings. The 7x40 has a rather narrow field of view, but otherwise is also an ALFA binocular!
They are one of the toughest binoculars made, weatherproof, and optically a marvel!

PHA

Thanks to all for suggestions,

Its much as I suspected, Nikon SE or Habicht with EII almost there.

I`v been able to try an 8x30EII but no others so far, but it is available here from Amazon for £375 which makes it attractive, they list the 10x35 from £550 and the 10x42 SE for £800, but I need to try before I part with any money.

The 7x42 Habicht does appeal for around £550.

I do enjoy looking up any suggestions, I`d never heard of the Vixen for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back