• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which kind of peanuts to feed birds? (1 Viewer)

debbielevi

NATURELOVER
Hi all! I have a question maybe someone can answer. I have a peanut feeder for the birds-although the squirrels chew threw it as well, but that is okay- I love the squirrels.ANYWAY,I buy peanuts ready to eat - NOT in shell - my question is - do birds need SALT and/or SUGAR? I have gotten honey roasted peanuts before but then I wondered if that was good for them. Regular peanuts have salt. I finally went to salt free plain until I figure out which if any is best to feed them- all the same price so it doesn't matter to me - except that I like to eat the honey roasted myself, so I usually eat a handful as I fill the feeder for the birds and squirrels. LOL. Any info would be appreciated. THANKS. Happy birding everyone;)

No salt or sugar! Just raw, unshelled peanuts, which can be bought specifically as 'bird nuts' or for human consumption, generally from a wholefood shop rather than supermarket.

I agree with turkish van. Kaytee makes a 5 pound bag of peanuts for around 7 dollars. It is specifically for birds so don't eat them yourself. Good Luck.

All posts above are correct that you should only use raw peanuts without salt or sugar.

But since you have given the birds salt or sugar in the past, I wouldn't worry too much.

(You can go to McDonalds and watch the "McDonalds Sparrows" eat salted french fries daily and continue to nest and breed all Summer long).

As long as they have access to water, they can Osmoregulate. (May be very important in desert areas).

Just as too much salt or sugar is not good for us, it stands to reason that it is not good for birds either.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back