• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Manfrotto tripod? (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

Hi all,

More or less decided on the Swarovski ATS80HD and 30xWA but can't decide on the tripod!

I don't want a very heavy setup but I want something pretty sturdy for digiscoping.

The options...

055 - very heavy but undeniably stable
190 - not too heavy but not sure how stable?
443 - carbon fibre so obviously light but how stable?

Any help?

Many thanks.

Hi Marek,I've got the 443 and find it very stable.
I remember a windy day on the shingle at Dungeness,when the 443 seemed to be just as stable as the 055 set-up next to me...and you'll certainly appreciate the weight difference!

Personally I use a 055 with a Leica 77 and coolpix 4500 - steady as a rock and about as heavy... I know others who use the carbon fibre set up - noticeably lighter and seems v.stable.
In the field I'd tell them that the cf is not as stable as a 'proper' tripod - though that's clearly just envy and I'd swap in an instant given the chance... or more importantly the cash!

My experience (admittedy with a Gitzo tripod) is that carbon fibre is more rigid, and therefore less prone to wind-induced vibration, than metal. Eg, my Gitzo 1227 is more stable with my Swav ATS80 than my old Manfrotto 144.

Sean

Here's a second vote for the Gitzo G1227 if you can swing the price. I have had mine out a couple times now. While not absolutely rock steady in the wind. Its definitley better than the Bogen 3221 and 3211 that I used to use. I'm getting used to the leg locking system also.

I also have a Gitzo (1325) Carbon Fibre. It comes without centre column. I've had it for almost 2 years and is very steady in wind - with a Swarovski AT80HD. Pity you can't get to the Bristish Birdwatching Fair this weekend where you could try out both the Manfrotto (American equivakent being the Bogen) and the Gitzo - Bob Rigby has Gitzo's, Manfrotto normally have their own stand.

i have just upgraded from an old slik d3 to the 443 + 701rc and find the setup very stable and with the new 701 head ideal for digiscoping after trying a mates in storm conditions on the North Norfolk Coast. Main thing that swung it for me was the price difference (£270) over the gitzo her indoors would'nt stomach over £350+ for a tripod

I swapped from the 055 to the 443. I haven't used the 055 since.

The 055 is definitely more stable in windy conditions, certainly in respect of taking digiscope photos, but for normal use the 443 is stable enough and noticably lighter.

If you are not planning on having to carry the scope very far as in less than a couple of miles then I'd say the 055 is a better option for digiscoping. If weight is an issue and/or you'll be using it mainly in sheltered places such a hides rather than open coastal ponds then the 443 is a very nice tripod.

I haven't tried the Gitzo.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back