• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which of these compacts would you get? (1 Viewer)

...My favorite is still the Trinovids - they were so small and compact like a piece of jewelry but the eye relief just wasn't there for me...

Besides being better optically, the Ultravids have better eye-relief than the Trinovids, and they also have much better close focus, a better focus knob, positive hinge stops, and are waterfproof. And they can be just as small as the Trinovid--just get the BL version! I personally don't see the advantage of rubber armor for a binocular this small. The BL version is covered in a combination of rubber (on the center bridge) and what might be leather (on the barrels) but if it is, it is so heavily treated it may as well be plastic armor. I've had no issues with water etc that some reported for the BL versions of the full sized Ultravids.

--AP

Besides being better optically, the Ultravids have better eye-relief than the Trinovids

And they can be just as small as the Trinovid--just get the BL version! I personally don't see the advantage of rubber armor for a binocular this small.

I agree, but the armored version is the one the pawn shop had available for $275 and since the glass was flawless, I figured I could suffer through it. I kept the leather Leica case from the Trinovids and the Ultravids still fit. ;)

Alexis, the rubber version (which I chose) looks quieter and less "alpha". I'm using that word acc. to a "sophisticated" |8.| definition I learnt from another thread which spun off this one! |;|

Last edited:
Alexis, the rubber version (which I chose) looks quieter and less "alpha". I'm using that word acc. to a "sophisticated" |8.| definition I learnt from another thread which spun off this one! |;|

Ah, but unless you've covered up the red dot, your Leica still screams "alpha!" to the constituency for whom bino brand prestige matters.

--AP

Slightly off topic, but as the Hawke Premier 8x25s were mentioned at the start of this thread I thought I'd note my experience of them here. My wife purchased a pair last year since, although the optical performance was clearly sub-par, ergonomically they were excellent for her as arthritis makes it difficult to hold most bins. Unfortunately, after less than a year of fairly light use the things fell apart - an eyepiece fell off and the focus wheel came adrift. Typically, we were unable to find the receipt for the instrument so the manufacturers wouldn't honour the guarantee. So I'd avoid this model, but wish a truly 'premier' maker would copy the open bridge style

John, the next-lightest open-bridge bin seems to be the Kenko OP 8x32 DH II at 455 g (vs 320 for the Hawke Premier), but I cannot find any comments (on the internet) about its optical quality.

Last edited:
They've arrived in India, but as I live/work on a remote island about 1000km out in the ocean, I'll only get to pick them up in a week or two, when they get sent over here along with some other stuff (incl the afore-mentioned 8x32 FLs).

Perfect timing - I am going to Uganda for 2.5 weeks in September for birding: gonna have these in my pockets the entire time, and my FLs and the Nikon 50 scope for the actual birding walks. Hoping to knock off 500 species while there :)

So - first impression: WOW!

I've been playing around with a pair of Alpen ED 10x25s and they were a significant improvement over the crappy Hawke Premiers.

But a quick look with these, and the impression I have is that they are a bit brighter and provide a less fussy view (compared to the Alpens, not 8x42s obviously).

Tomorrow, I will do a grand test comparing the Viper 8x28s, Nikon 8x20s, Alpen 10x25s & Tiaga 8x25s.

I have found the Leicas optically wonderful but fiddly to handle. The Zeiss Victory Compact 8x20 is as good optically but wins for me for its handling although you need to be right-handed to get the best from its assymetric design. Its no use carrying mini-bins if you can't get them into action quickly.

By the way the focussing on my Zeiss was a little stiff at first but is much easier now and is really smooth.

Lee

So - first impression: WOW! But a quick look with these, and the impression I have is that they are a bit brighter and provide a less fussy view (compared to the Alpens, not 8x42s obviously). Tomorrow, I will do a grand test comparing the Viper 8x28s, Nikon 8x20s, Alpen 10x25s & Tiaga 8x25s.

vkalia - Congratulations on getting the Nikons! You have made a fine choice. Although I use a Swarovski 8x20 B, which is very small and very nice, if I were choosing again now I would almost certainly buy the Nikon HGL/LXL 8x20.

I look forward to reading the results of your grand test!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back