• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sub-£300 8x42 or 10 x 50? (1 Viewer)

I tried the Viking MD range the other day at an RSPB outlet, very good I thought, and although the 42mm models are over 700g, the 32mm models are only 600g, I recently sold my Vortex vipers and Nikon hg l, both 42mm models and moved to a mid sized Zeiss the 8x30 conquest, I don`t think I`ll go back to a larger bin now, the low weight is really liberating and now I`m over 50 I really don`t notice any drop off in brightness.

The short list has so far has been narrowed down to:

Nikon Monarch SE 8 x 42
Opticron Countryman 'HD' BGA 8 x 42
Opticron Verano 'Open Hinge' BGA 8 x 42

I had a quick play with the new Opticron Countryman HD and the ED-X 8x42s this morning along with a few other models. The overcast conditions meant that that it was pretty good for testing CA, but the area was industrial and far from ideal in many respects.

I imagine the ED-X will be popular. The small size and wide view will definitely appeal to some. The sweet spot is fairly wide and the the colour balance fairly neutral. Despite the ED tag the CA was on the high side. I wasn't particularly keen on the contrasting bridge, and found it a bit too dainty to be comfortable with my hands.

The Countryman HD suited me much more. The colours were richer and the contrast better to my eyes. While the view was narrower than the ED-X it certainly didn't feel at all cramped. Again the sweet spot was quite broad. CA was marginally lower than the ED-X and didn't feel as distracting. The centre dioptre appeared to work well. I found it more comfortable in the hand and overall ergonomics better than not only the ED-X but also competitors like the Hawke Frontier ED for example. Over all a very likeable pair. I didn't try the Verano HD today, but suspect that it's still a step up from the Countryman as the price would suggest.

David

Maybe look into Theron Wapiti APO-ED, I have read some VERY good reviews, I have an 8x42 ordered, will give an opinion after I get them. They weigh 780g though.

http://theronoptics.com/WAPITI_ED-APO_BINOCULARS_Z1.html

US$349

Last edited:
We've just come back from Sherwoods and, after much deliberation, we've bought a pair of Opticron Countryman HDs 8x42 and pair of Viking ED 8x42.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful.

Well done Michael. I was very impressed by the Viking EDs when my partner was looking for new binoculars. They were over £500 at the time though, so she went for the RSPB HDs instead which were slightly cheaper. I imagine you bought the SP Edition, which looks excellent value at £299. Let us know how you get on with your purchases.

Ron

Well done Michael. I was very impressed by the Viking EDs when my partner was looking for new binoculars. They were over £500 at the time though, so she went for the RSPB HDs instead which were slightly cheaper. I imagine you bought the SP Edition, which looks excellent value at £299. Let us know how you get on with your purchases.

Ron

Could you please tell me how the Viking 8x42 ED SP Edition differs from the 'Standard Edition' mentioned above? From what I can tell, its just an additional clamshell case and a reduced price? Are there any differences in the actual spec?

Thanks,

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back