• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-rumped Sandpiper? Lake Erie, ON (1 Viewer)

Paul Tavares

I saw two possibly three of these hanging out with some Least Sandpipers, a Dunlin and a Semipalmated Plover at Rock Point Provincial Park on the north shore of Lake Erie. I think it may be a White-rumped Sandpiper but am not sure. The photos are of the same bird. When they flew they did display a white rump but I couldn't get a photo of that.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul

Attachments

• PT0_9148.jpg
    PT0_9148.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 282
  • PT0_9151.jpg
    PT0_9151.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 281
It's a Western Sandpiper. Note e.g. long curved bill and not very long wings.

Last edited:
I can see the similarities and the differences...must have been influenced by the "seen" white rump.

OK, maybe I should not be too confident here. Although the points made above seem relevant I agree the bird looks quite fine for WRSP plumage-wise. The lack of obvious rufous on cheek and crown is a bit odd for WSP (although much variation). Shoulder concealed. Bill looks all black again indicating Western, but doesn't eliminate WRSP altogether, I reckon.

Additionally, the OP said the bird had a white rump in flight, but a Western can give the 'impression' of a white rump when viewed from an angle, as the attached shows.

Attachments

• sandpiper_western-1014.jpg
    sandpiper_western-1014.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 84
Additionally, the OP said the bird had a white rump in flight, but a Western can give the 'impression' of a white rump when viewed from an angle, as the attached shows.

The white I saw went completely across the rump consistent with a White-rumped. I've re-attached 100% crops, exaggerated the sharpening and increased the HDR in the shadows. Another birder just reported seeing a possible Dunlin * White-rumped Sandpiper hybrid in the same location about three hours after I took this photo. Not sure if it is the same bird but could a hybrid explain some of the plumage differences?

Thanks again

Paul

Attachments

• AF5K410 White-rumped Sandpiper, Calidris fuscicollis PT0_9148.jpg
    AF5K410 White-rumped Sandpiper, Calidris fuscicollis PT0_9148.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 139
  • AF5K410 White-rumped Sandpiper, Calidris fuscicollis PT0_9151.jpg
    AF5K410 White-rumped Sandpiper, Calidris fuscicollis PT0_9151.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The white I saw went completely across the rump consistent with a White-rumped. I've re-attached 100% crops, exaggerated the sharpening and increased the HDR in the shadows. Another birder just reported seeing a possible Dunlin * White-rumped Sandpiper hybrid in the same location about three hours after I took this photo. Not sure if it is the same bird but could a hybrid explain some of the plumage differences?

Thanks again

Paul

To my mind not too much wrong with the plumage for a WRS. It's more the structure of the bird that is problematic. Western and Dunlin are in many ways similar. There is no pic with Least for size comparison?

The scap shapes look wrong for Western - the lower and rear ones especially on Western sand are very elongated - like willow leaves. The mystery lacks them

Attachments

• scaps.jpg
    scaps.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back