• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can’t I find a store that stocks Zeiss SF? (1 Viewer)

Rob,

Is it possible to keep both, so 8X 10X and 12X. A good group to have. I have many instances in using 12X over 10X so it is good to have both. I am still seeking a wide angle 10X42, but I have ruled out the NL.
Good point. Then I would have one each from the big three.

I would have liked to do the same when I bought my 8x32 FL. But it was not the dealer's demo model, so he could apparently not sell it to me. Result was a new one with the red coating that I should not have taken.
I am puzzled by this. I could understand a dealer not wanting to sell a demo model but I can't understand why a unit that was not a demo model could not be sold.

Eurooptic has some SF demos for excellent prices, but it looks like the 10x42 is gone, only the 8x42 and 8x,10x32 are there now.

I'm starting to see the use of 12x, I got some new/old 12x40 Nikons and I really like them! They're keepers, very light and compact and not too hard to hold steady. The close-ups of the birds are worth it, just looking at a few local cardinals, it's fun with 12x

Bit of a drive, but Time & Optics in Mt. Hope, OH carries Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica, plus just about every other notable brand. Smallish store, but they carry everything - easy to spend hours there comparing optics. Always fun stuff in the used case too.

Tiny town in Amish country, but they even have a fairly new, fairly large hotel (Sleep Inn & Suites) in town to make an overnight trip doable.

I called Time and Optics and explained my situation and am going to plain a day to go there. She said to call the day before I go to make sure they have stock of what I want to see.

You can also make a trip to The Netherlands and visit House of Outdoor in Maarssen, there you can find many binoculars of different companies certainly all top brands but also the good quality lower priced binoculars.
You forgot to say that it is also a beautiful and interesting country ;)

An interesting question would be whether "fatigue" with NL is all about weight/balance, or perhaps extra effort trying to hold 12x steady vs 10x, and whether there's any way you could relax or reduce that.
Noticed this when comparing the NL and SF shortly after the NL debut. At that time holding-fatigue wasn’t widely discussed so I wasn’t looking for it and was quite surprised. The NL shape tends to channel my hands into a specific hold position — it is easy for the hand to grip but less comfortable to hold for extended periods. Not certain if the hand position brings greater stress on specific muscles, the position is out of balance, or I am just fighting it. Would be very interesting for a bio-mechanics engineer to do a study.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back