• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

willow or marsh tit (1 Viewer)

steveps

Took this back last winter, near a large pond and woodland area.
I think its a marsh tit, but always willing to be corrected!!.

Attachments

• morw-tit.jpg
    morw-tit.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 373
steveps said:
Took this back last winter, near a large pond and woodland area.
I think its a marsh tit, but always willing to be corrected!!.

I see you are from the Glos/Oxford border. Bourton gravel pits is good for Willow tit.

For what it's worth, Marsh Tit. Why? Several features - cap is not matt (can clearly see a glimmer of shine in pic); not bull-necked looking; can see inner secondaries, and they are not pale-fringed; bib is small (not wide on lower edge); also, stumpy bill - Willow has a bit daintier, more pointy bill. And....can clearly hear it going "pitchou". Great pic, by the way.

dwayne950 said:
Can't see the wings too well, but has a small bib etc, so Marsh Tit.

Agreed. Although the glossy black head is not obvious, it could just be the light.

I think it's marsh because
white cheek not extensive enough for willow
smaller head
from the angle of the shot a good view of the bib is obtained it looks small and doesn't extend outwards at the breast which is more suited for marsh (although in the field willows bib look deceptively small from side on views and there is alot of overlaps)
Also, although highly subjective, plumage looks tidy

no knowledge of wing panel and no call heard makes judgement difficult

poecile the is the expert for this

i've learned sth recently here: beside the already stated features, there's a hint of a light cutting edge to bill, which is pro march tit.

It's definitely a marsh tit: the head shape is wrong for willow tit, it has an obvious dusky patch at the back of the ear coverts.

And besides, willow tits seem to be virtually non-existent these days!

aythya_hybrid said:
It's definitely a marsh tit: the head shape is wrong for willow tit, it has an obvious dusky patch at the back of the ear coverts.

And besides, willow tits seem to be virtually non-existent these days!

visit Fairburn Ings rspb reserve they get willow tit to their feeding station on a daily basis. btw agree the photo is marsh tit

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back