• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows XP SP2 (5 Viewers)

bristolbirder

Has anyone downloaded it yet and had any problems? I would be particularly interested to hear from any non-IE users. I use Opera and am a bit worried about any conflicts with this browser.

Steve

I tried to get it yesterday but the microsoft site was telling me that I had nothing to install. I have been downloading critical updates as they appear but I understood that there was still a lot in SP2 that I needed.

Darrell

Evil MS

I use Firebird by default and have just failed to download SP2. The only way to download SP2 at the moment is for Windows to do it automatically... which is what it tried to do... but as I wasn't running IE it failed to do so. Now I can't force a retry (at least I don't think I can)... I just have to hope Windows Auto Update will try itself and I'll run IE for a few hours in this vague hope.

So if you don't use IE by default, I suggest you do so until SP2 is installed.

Nice MS aren't they.

boyinthebush said:
I use Firebird by default and have just failed to download SP2. The only way to download SP2 at the moment is for Windows to do it automatically... which is what it tried to do... but as I wasn't running IE it failed to do so. Now I can't force a retry (at least I don't think I can)... I just have to hope Windows Auto Update will try itself and I'll run IE for a few hours in this vague hope.

So if you don't use IE by default, I suggest you do so until SP2 is installed.

Nice MS aren't they.

I'm no expert,but can't you go to the Windows Update website,using IE and download SP2 from there ?

Grousemore said:
I'm no expert,but can't you go to the Windows Update website,using IE and download SP2 from there ?
At the moment no, it's autodownload only... visiting the update site just says "turn auto update on". Eventually they'll allow people to download but I guess they don't want to cause a sudden download frenzy and crash the server.

No biggy really, the main things SP2 does is make IE more secure and the firewall more secure... and I don't use IE and have an independent firewall so I will survive until they allow the manual download.

boyinthebush said:
At the moment no, it's autodownload only... visiting the update site just says "turn auto update on". Eventually they'll allow people to download but I guess they don't want to cause a sudden download frenzy and crash the server.

No biggy really, the main things SP2 does is make IE more secure and the firewall more secure... and I don't use IE and have an independent firewall so I will survive until they allow the manual download.

SP2 can be downloaded directly from microsoft.co.uk as an installation package - you need to go to the IT Profesionals Technet pages...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

cheers

Pete Morrison

Is it compulsory to download this SP ?.Will XP function normally if one does not install this new programme?.I get very nervous when these things have to be downloaded,as if everything is working okay,why does one have to change.This pc does not like change and we always have mega probs when trying to install extra stuff,mostly because we do not understand these things.So I do hope we can leave things as they are.
Apparently ,I read on another thread,that SP does not accept Photoshop Elements,so that is another good reason to leave things as they are.I really do hate all these technical updates,but I do understand that one has to "move with the times" as it were!!

christineredgate said:
Is it compulsory to download this SP ?.Will XP function normally if one does not install this new programme?.I get very nervous when these things have to be downloaded,as if everything is working okay,why does one have to change.This pc does not like change and we always have mega probs when trying to install extra stuff,mostly because we do not understand these things.So I do hope we can leave things as they are.
Apparently ,I read on another thread,that SP does not accept Photoshop Elements,so that is another good reason to leave things as they are.I really do hate all these technical updates,but I do understand that one has to "move with the times" as it were!!

Hi Christine

It certainly isn't compulsory and XP will continue to work normally. However, a lot of extra security features have been built into SP2 which will make you less vulnerable to hackers, viruses etc. If you download it and things go wrong you always have the System Restore feature to get you back where you were.

A lot of the compatability issues arise from the firewall being switched on and stopping access. By going to the new Security Centre all you need do is click on the program to allow access.

Good luck!

Steve

I just had an issue with my Toshiba laptop when I booted up, "Hotkey unable to load". Well - I never use the "hotkey" and all seems well. But I wonder if a few of these new incompatibility issues will turn out to be a problem?

I read above that PS Elements is a problem with SP2, but mine works fine (v. 2).

scampo said:
I just had an issue with my Toshiba laptop when I booted up, "Hotkey unable to load". Well - I never use the "hotkey" and all seems well. But I wonder if a few of these new incompatibility issues will turn out to be a problem?

I read above that PS Elements is a problem with SP2, but mine works fine (v. 2).

Hi all,

Steve, perhaps your hotkey error is "Data Execution Prevention" related.

Most problems are likely to occur because of the default firewall settings or existing glitches. I wouldn't advise installing SP2 on a system that's got any sort of existing glitch; do a repair install (or full reinstall) and full anti-malware cleanup first, then set a system restore point before the update.

Andy.

Thanks, Andy. I notice that the installation of SP2 makes a full back up and system restore automatically. I shall see what happens when I reboot - but all is well so far. The firewall seems a real improvement over the previous one.

scampo said:
Thanks, Andy. I notice that the installation of SP2 makes a full back up and system restore automatically. I shall see what happens when I reboot - but all is well so far. The firewall seems a real improvement over the previous one.

It appears that SP2 is not going to be as effective as broadcast, there is an item on the news that states holes have already been found, one allows bugs to lurk as graphics and then takes control of your PC.

pete1950 said:
It appears that SP2 is not going to be as effective as broadcast, there is an item on the news that states holes have already been found, one allows bugs to lurk as graphics and then takes control of your PC.
Well - are you surprised? As a teacher, I occasionally have to teach the types whose life is hell bent on finding security holes in Bill Gate's software and the like. They are a sad lot and totally irrational.

Last night, my automatic update came up and said SP2 now available, click here to begin download - so I did just that and nothing happened - zilch. I then went onto the website and read that you can only get it through automatic download only - so have I missed out, or will it tell me again? Nothing happened tonight. :h?:

Thanks,Steve(Bristol birder).I will wait until it is compulsory,or until I keep getting notification,then have a go.

Ive heard that SP2 is going to be available on disk in a couple of months from one of those computer mags. Maybe an idea for those on slower internet connections.

tracker

scampo said:
Well - are you surprised? As a teacher, I occasionally have to teach the types whose life is hell bent on finding security holes in Bill Gate's software and the like. They are a sad lot and totally irrational.

No. Not surprised, saddened really that there are morons out there with nothing better to do, they obviously have an academic grounding, but choose to be mischievous rather than industrious.

As for myself I am plodding on with Win ME, until new software compatibilities exclude me.

I think Windows me will be fine for a good long time, yet. It has "System Restore", too - which is one of the main benefits of XP. Some folk seem to have had problems with it but my old PC is now with my sister-in-law and has been running that OS now for a good few years with hardly a glitch.

I am going to leave mine as it is. I have a good firewall, and up to date AV software, so I don't see the need for change yet. It works fine and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

As for the little toe rags who constantly upload viruses and exploit holes in software, they need a slap. They just inconvenience the rest of us.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back