• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would it be too cosy? (2 Viewers)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
It's a while since I was here, since Covid my birdbox has been rather empty 🤔 However "our" Bluetit returned to spend Christmas & New Year with us.

My question concerns bedding.

I've always left the box empty but have often wondered if putting in some sort of bedding would be a benefit, or a distraction.
The bird never attempts to bring anything in (apart from nesting time) so seems happy enough without it.

What I don't want to do is put in some bedding only for the bird to be pushed away.

Opinions vary, taking to people, but what would be good is if someone has practical experience to go on.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Birdbox_1.jpg
    Birdbox_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
We clean out our nest box every autumn. Every November/December we notice the empty box is used for roosting so I would say leave your box empty, especially as your visitor seems content.

Hi Thomas, welcome back.

You provide the box leave, the birds to provide the nesting material which is best suited to them, is the best way I think.

So far I've always left it "as is" and that seems to be OK. That does seem to be the opinion so I'll stay.

I simply wondered if, in trees or other natural habitats, the birds made some kind of bedding. From what I've seen I've no reason to believe they do, I suppose I was just applying human standards wanting it to be cosy on very cold nights :LOL:

The one thing I do is clean it out each day after the bird has left. It wouldn't be so nice being knee-deep in :poop: I imagine. That has never deterred the bird so maybe it appreciates it... ;)

Thanks for the contributions.

Leave it empty. Decades ago I "tried to help" by putting some soft fabric in a box. It was fortunate that I was watching later because I saw a bird trying to pull it out of the nest hole. It was jammed in the hole and the other bird was trapped inside! I kicked myself, opened the box and emptied it. The geat tits returned and did the job properly.

Sorry, my last was about nesting not roosting but I still think the best thing is to leave well alone. We have a Blue Tit roosting in our camera box and I assume most or all the other boxes are occupied as well and all seem to manage well.

Sorry, my last was about nesting not roosting but I still think the best thing is to leave well alone. We have a Blue Tit roosting in our camera box and I assume most or all the other boxes are occupied as well and all seem to manage well.

Thanks, I'm on that page myself now. Even though your previous was on nesting I'm of the same view at the present. As I said, it's probably misguided of me to think they need the little comforts we have. He/she (I know how to distinguish but it's still hard to tell) keeps coming back so the box must be fine as is.

20240108083946_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back