• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (4 Viewers)

Funny that they had the leaked pictures removed. The news is still out. Free men are still free to discuss what they want.
I agree with some statement above that these days leaking has become some marketing instrument high art. Just look at apple.
This is not harming Zeiss. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Or the color gets changed to grey?
They obviously can block their own marketing materials from unauthorized publication. But the news is out. No way to turn back time. And it's no drama for anybody.

Or the color gets changed to grey?
They obviously can block their own marketing materials from unauthorized publication. But the news is out. No way to turn back time. And it's no drama for anybody.

Nope, as Henry Ford famously quoted, " Any colour you like, as long as it's black." Perhaps in time, a limited edition may appear a la Simon King. The removed pictures were exactly as one would imagine, certainly for me. Should / could be a serious challenge to Swarovski's market share for that specification whilst pushing Leica further over the horizon - will we ever see an 8 x 32 Noctivid for retail outside of a Leica Store?

Trust that BF member range gets some sleep, they've been fielding a rear guard game today.

Last edited:
So what's next? The x50 SF hopefully.

Most likely, for the folks with the rifles and bows, rather than the astronomers. Perhaps there is still some time left in the 54mm Victory HTs. But let us warmly await the Kylie Minogue* of the alphas first!

* Tiny but a huge performer.

Last edited:
Nope, as Henry Ford famously quoted, " Any colour you like, as long as it's black." Perhaps in time, a limited edition may appear a la Simon King. The removed pictures were exactly as one would imagine, certainly for me. Should / could be a serious challenge to Swarovski's market share for that specification whilst pushing Leica further over the horizon - will we ever see an 8 x 32 Noctivid for retail outside of a Leica Store?

I agree the bar has been raised with regard to FOV performance in the smaller apertures. Kowa, Nikon, Zeiss... Swaro is sure to be looking at that.

Leica certainly has an opportunity to follow suit, but maybe the 7x35 Trinovid is their preemptive response. Style AND FOV. And as Ken Rockwell sez: Who needs close focus!

-Bill

This is likely to be an uncertain year, particularly for any mass-participation event, involving international travel for participants. This may include music festivals, sporting events -and even birding/optics trade fairs.
Conventional approaches to product launches may either have to be postponed, or other means found to build the public's appetite for new releases.
I would say that 8 pages and counting on an international forum, various cloak-and-dagger 'disappearances' of threads, posts and pictures are doing quite a good job for the Big Z.....
I'm not saying the 'leak' was intended, but i'm equally sure no-one is thinking about lawsuits.

This is likely to be an uncertain year, particularly for any mass-participation event, involving international travel for participants. This may include music festivals, sporting events -and even birding/optics trade fairs.

An extremely valid and well raised point in my opinion. Where next in the calendar would Zeiss have "launched" this model for the viewing and buying consumer - in Europe the British Birdwatching Fair would be the next big 'un but many are looking at other aspects of wildlife watching. A lot could and will happen in the next 6 months.

The 8X32 FLs may come down in price as clear outs, so a good opportunity to get one.

Andy W.

Yep. Great, bright binc. Had a couple of them over the years.
One can expect a price break as dealers move them along.
New products typically free dealers of the strict manufacturer price guidelines on the NOS.

Wish that wife and I weren't such 8x32 Swarovision snobs. Love that glass!

i wonder where Charles is now? He is probably holed up some place in China trying not to get the Corona Virus.;)

Apologies for the extreme thread drift, but I thought it was a shame that Charles's efforts went so badly astray. The concept of harnessing the superb economics of Chinese optics with intensive marketing looked very promising.
There is a pony there somewhere, even if this attempt failed to find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back