• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (4 Viewers)

Actually a nice flat transmission curve 400-750 nm would be nice for a change, rather than color Lee likes or color Jerry likes. Once you start screwing around with the color, inevitably half the people like it and half need to buy elsewhere.
I’m sorry Lee, but I spent years as a color consultant to the photo industry, was an ICC member, and consulted for Xrite and in matters of color I take my own advice, and sometimes others did too.
And more green, thanks but no thanks I already have a Pocket, nice small sharp bino, wide field shows all the detail, zero enjoyment, partly due to the color choices made. As I said, japanese product, japanese color choice. I tested a Conquest, unexpectedly sharp, some CA and unforgettably bluegreen.

You will remember the film boxes, no? Yellow Kodak (US), Green Fuji (Japan), Orange Agfa (Germany), each country has its esthetic, but in fine grey is the neutral that rules them all. And btw if you want an assessment of color, ask a young woman.

Edmund

Last edited:
I like to see the full range of colours through my binos that I see with my naked eyes, which is why I enjoy several models of binos, including my SF42s.

Lee

I see a green cast through my SF's...Should I be worried? ;)

Attachments

• 74D82039-40F3-483D-8DF4-D261B6F10985.jpg
    74D82039-40F3-483D-8DF4-D261B6F10985.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 109
OMG that's terrible. And it looks so unnatural! ;)

Lee
Lee,
In the interests of full disclosure it is a wee bit unnatural as I gave the photo a greener “pop” to underline the gag.
Heres the original straight out of the camera for comparison purposes.

The greener one was taken through the SF's ;)

Attachments

• 7ED5D7A7-281C-48A6-A422-3B25FE9B4508.jpg
    7ED5D7A7-281C-48A6-A422-3B25FE9B4508.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 57
  • CA184FCC-7CBB-4EFA-B340-1D29861FED32.jpg
    CA184FCC-7CBB-4EFA-B340-1D29861FED32.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 67
:-O:-O

btw. Is this a current picture of how green it looks there actually??
I may have to move there, so lush and green, here it’s all grey and dark ...
Canip,
See the photos in my reply to Lee where I confess to digital shenanigans in pursuit of the gag.

Its the dry, hot and nesting season here right now so the un-retouched image is more accurate.
Cheers,
Bryan

I have seen that green cast with an early 10x42 SF model, when it was presented first at our optics store. I put that glass in front of my eyes and said loudly: Wow, green!

Months later, I had an opportunity to use both the 8x42 and 10x42, and neither one showed that green cast. I would guess that was a glitch that occurred only with a couple of early production units.

That's my impression as well. I also saw a greenish tint in one very early 10x42 - and in no other 8x42s and 10x42s I looked through.

I also think there may have been a glitch with some very early production units.

Hermann

Yes. If you are in Manitoba and it is winter!

Bob:king:

What's a Manitoba? I do have dim memories of white outs and blizzards. Is it something to do with that?

Also, I'd like to take a moment to thank Zeiss for triggering a frenzied inventory of all my saleable worldly possessions.

Cheers,
Bryan

I knew that was Costa Rica. There is no place quite as green. Monte Verde Rain Forest?

La Selva Biological station for the CBC last December. It was hot, humid but dry. The staff were worried a wee bit as they had an very rare but thankfully small forest fire prior to the count.
Cheers,
Bryan

La Selva Biological station for the CBC last December. It was hot, humid but dry. The staff were worried a wee bit as they had an very rare but thankfully small forest fire prior to the count.
Cheers,
Bryan

Now if x32 would teleport me there with a look thru one ocular, and back to Paris for dinner with a look thru the other, I could get to like green :)

Edmund

Now if x32 would teleport me there with a look thru one ocular, and back to Paris for dinner with a look thru the other, I could get to like green :)

Edmund
Rumour has it that feature will be in the X32 Mk II but I'm only going on what Jean Luc Picard told me, he's a reliable source right? 🤫

Cheers,
Bryan

What's a Manitoba? I do have dim memories of white outs and blizzards. Is it something to do with that?

Also, I'd like to take a moment to thank Zeiss for triggering a frenzied inventory of all my saleable worldly possessions.

Cheers,
Bryan

And don't forget body parts. Any old bits you don't use could be highly saleable.

Lee

More SF 32 Information From Zeiss

Zeiss has just uploaded it’s 2020/ 2021 Hunting catalogue at: https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-prod...-scopes/dialyt/dialyt-18-45x65.html#downloads

In contrast to the 2019/ 2020 Nature catalogue that it uploaded in the last few days, this catalogue does include images and info about the SF x32’s
- but not a whole lot more than what we’ve already seen

I’ve attached a copy of the main SF 32 page which stresses the field of view, along with the specification table

Both catalogues have an associated app: with the app on your hand-held device, you can then scan a button on various catalogue pages, and the app then reveals additional details
I'll leave that for other to report on

John

Attachments

• SF 32 features.jpg
    SF 32 features.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 552
  • SF Specifications.jpg
    SF Specifications.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 1,963
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back