• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (8 Viewers)

Sorry Peter, but down here the FL is an absolute non seller compared to the SV, HD, Meostar (beats the HD in lighttransmission) and Kowa Genesis.

Jan
Hi Jan:

Many stores in the US and elsewhere still carry the 32mm FLs, at the considerable price of 2100$, and you see them quite often in the field. But I trust you that they do not sell well in the NL.

Peter

Was it in the pipeline but then a slight issue was noticed with the focus on Grey 42SF's which prompted the Black SF's and set back the introduction of the 32's which would also have had the issue if not revised? That's what I've heard anyway, so I would imagine they are on the way.

Maybe the UK Birdfair could see it introduced.

The 8x32 FL Binocular is apparently a good and steady seller.

Eagle Optics has a good selling argument for buying one even though their current price is $2099.99.

All they have to do is point a prospective buyer to the 26 reviews of said binocular which averages 5 stars out of 5.

Of course these reviews go back to 2009 but then there were very likely many more than 26 8x32 Fls sold over that period that did not get reviewed.

Bob

Last edited:
Actually 24 out of the 26 give it 5 stars.

4 stars: "These are great for the price and better made than the Sworwski's in that the lens caps stay on...I found the Vortex Vipers HD in the same size to be just about equal to these for a lot less money. Also a newer model will be coming out in the near future so you might want to wait..."

1 star: "...The eye relief for this binocular line is only 16mm...when I took my glasses off and focused the image was absolutely incredible, as well as the brightness and field of view. But...With glasses it's as if you're looking through a teeny tiny peep hole at a construction site...In my humble opinion, if you wear glasses look for bins with an eye relief > or = to 18mm..."

The next review (they are listed in order of time) expresses surprise at this and is titled GREAT BINOCULAR FOR EYEGLASS WEARERS!

Why is the latest of the 26 in 2014 October though? Is everyone waiting for "the next big thing"?

Also why doesn't it "work in Dutch" (post #21)?!

I'd heard the same story as Dipped in post 23 above - development slowed by revisions to the grey SF.
Those of us who are huge fans of the FL32 may be loathe to upgrade if the new model increases too much in size - perhaps Zeiss will consider specific marketing to pull a new generation of 32mm punters. It's gonna have to be good to replace the FL!

I wear glasses; the Zeiss FL32 is absolutely my favorite binocular that I've ever used, including Leica, Swarovski. The only reason I'd want it replaced is that hopefully that means Zeiss will put them on clearance pricing when the new one is released!

Actually 24 out of the 26 give it 5 stars.

4 stars: "These are great for the price and better made than the Sworwski's in that the lens caps stay on...I found the Vortex Vipers HD in the same size to be just about equal to these for a lot less money. Also a newer model will be coming out in the near future so you might want to wait..."

1 star: "...The eye relief for this binocular line is only 16mm...when I took my glasses off and focused the image was absolutely incredible, as well as the brightness and field of view. But...With glasses it's as if you're looking through a teeny tiny peep hole at a construction site...In my humble opinion, if you wear glasses look for bins with an eye relief > or = to 18mm..."

The next review (they are listed in order of time) expresses surprise at this and is titled GREAT BINOCULAR FOR EYEGLASS WEARERS!

Why is the latest of the 26 in 2014 October though? Is everyone waiting for "the next big thing"?

Also why doesn't it "work in Dutch" (post #21)?!

Hi Adhoc,

Well the Dutch consumer decides.
The UV is most slim.
The SV had double bridge and FF.
The FL is made of plastic (which definitaly is a con in sales) and is most bulky.

What also comes in account is that the UV has a 20/25, a 32, a 42 and a 50mm family, while the SV brings 32, 42 and also a 50 on the table.

The FL only brings a 32. People can't compare within the family at Zeiss.
It's time for a complete Zeiss SF family. An HT Range in 42 and 54. A real Zeiss scope. And where stays the new Victory pocket??

Wake up Wetzlar. You are missing the boat in sales (again?):-C

Jan

So who's seen them? How do they compare to the FL and the x42? ?

Edmund

There has been no announcement of an SF 32 from Zeiss even though it is 5 years since SF42 was launched. There has been no whisper of a Noctivid 32 from Leica yet although who knows what might emerge from the upcoming interview?

Lee

There has been no whisper of a Noctivid 32 from Leica yet although who knows what might emerge from the upcoming interview?

There have actually been plenty of "whispers" about a Noctivid 32. The first time I heard about it from a Leicaguy in December 2018. He assumed it would be ready for last year's Birdfair ... ;)

Hermann

Will Zeiss terminate the Victory FL 8x32 and 10x32 then? I hope they keep them and make them their upper midfield offer at reduced prices hopefully. Development costs and tools must have been paid for by now?

Will Zeiss terminate the Victory FL 8x32 and 10x32 then? I hope they keep them and make them their upper midfield offer at reduced prices hopefully. Development costs and tools must have been paid for by now?

Hello Sebzwo,

The x32 FL line is sixteen years old, so there may be many happy owners, like me. Any new x32 SF is going to be a marked improvement for many of them to acquire a new glass.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back