• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your 2017 Optics Year in Review (1 Viewer)

Hmm, well...I didn't even see this great thread posting by Bruce until after the new year, so I hope you don't mind that I throw in my 3 cents, even if it is late. Sorry, I was just out of it for a while not feeling that great. But I'm getting better, and I'm looking forward to 2018, just because 2017 got me stirred up again about binoculars, and you know that when you start scratching an itch...! I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

First thing I did in 2017 was go on a hunt for 10x32's, because I thought I would like them a lot if I found the right pair, being mainly a 10x guy. Well, as you know, that particular build is hard to find, and to find good ones you like sometimes is even harder. I will agree with that now, after trying a Sightron BSII, and Leupold Mojave BX-3 10x32's, when I came across good deals on both, thanks to the forum and you guys! I really wanted to like the BSII's, since they are a very comfortable bin, and lightweight, and I did, but I think my 8x BS is sharper, and the 10's focuser had a little stitch in it that made it hard to fine focus. My 8x is smooth as silk. The Mojave just didin't do it either-it's not all that comfortable to hold (short and fat) for me like the BSII, though it's focuser was sublime on the Leupold. And I didn't find the eye placement easy either with the big oculars, just like I didn't like the 8x for the same reasons. Nor did I find them as sharp or bright as I would have liked.

Then I tried going up a bit in price to the Cabelas Euro Instincts (Meostar B1 relabel) that were on clearance at the end of the year, and bingo-found my 10x32! Great picture window view, and great package overall. It's heavier than I wanted, but the performance is worth it for me. When you get a good deal like that, you start looking for more just to see what's out there!

So, always liking Porros best, and wondering about the 10x35 Nikon EII (have the 8x), I ordered one from Japan that was at the best price I could find, and it was delivered ONE DAY after by DHL! Wow, that was unbelieveable. Sure I paid $30 for shipping, but that was worth it certainly, not having it banging around out there for long. Really nice bin, for sure too! Different than the Cabela's? Of course! Great Nikon quality view, and controls.

OK, then there was the whole Bushnell Legend M bargain deal on Ebay for the 8x42's, and after I got mine, the first view was stunning, and I said they're mine too! $160 bucks never better spent on such by me before. I am now trying out the 10x Bush's, though I can't say I love these as much. They don't quite handle as well-probably balance is different, and smaller oculars than the 8. Sharpness, etc is probably a match with the 8, but there is something different. In time I suspect I would get used to them though, and for just a little small change more than the bargain 8's, they were hard to pass up. Keep them, or not, I'm not sure yet about the 10's.

Two more landed in my lap by the end of the year, but I didn't keep either, and that may be more my fault than the bin's. I really wasn't feeling well at that point, and didn't get out but once to give them a fair shot outside. They were the Tract Toric demos that were at a great price, with only so many to go around in December. The 8x had a less than ideal FOV for what good 8x's have mostly now, so that was probably one reason I didn't connect with them, and them being 8x instead of my preferred 10x. The 10's were very nice-I could see how nice the optics were, bright, sharp, less distortion, etc. Handling was great-they are very comfortable in hand, a bit shorter than some, like the Bush's, so they are more compact. Nice design too. But my example had one of the loosest focus wheels I've ever tried, like they didn't put enough grease in there, or the wrong grade-but the one for the Arctic, maybe?! There was some glare too towards the sun, but I could probably excuse a little of that-not many without it. But didn't feel like paying for sending them for repair to California, nor waiting for them since I wasn't too sure about them for my faultof not getting out with them but once. So I sent them back. Then I thought a few days later that maybe I should try them again, if I could. I contacted Toric, and Jon said they were still in the warehouse, getting ready to be sent to the supplier for repair. So he said he would let me know when they were back, and would let me try them again. That was great of him, as I wanted to get out with them, but just wasn't up to it. That's the end of the story for 2017, and the new beginning for 2018!

My most memorable experience this year, was the sighting of a Bald Eagle, my first time, and in my hometown here in SE Pennsylvania! That was behind my wife's office, where I go with her sometimes, and while she works, I go out back and play near the railroad and deserted old factory fields there that have some nice high grasses and a wild look, even though it's on the outskirts of town! Or if I get tired, I play some of my musical instruments in the back if I brought any with me. One day there I was viewing with my car binoculars, a Minolta 8x40W Classic II. I was able to view him (or her) for a good 10 minutes, as he was roosting on a tower, and then flew off Eastward being chased the while by crows. I continued watching out the other side of the building and the crows helping him leave the area. That may be the only time I will ever see another, but it was great!

I should bring some of mine out of retirement, and see what I can part with, as Bruce said, because it doesn't seem right to have them just sitting around when they could be used. Don't fret though-most are lower end but solid bins, though a few pearls I think too. They're all good for something for sure. I still can't believe that for years I didn't have any but a real cheap pair of Tasco folding 8x20's or such, since I sold (in 1997) my original decent bins I had when I was a teen to my roomate when I needed some cash. Those Bushnell Sportview 8x30's were my companions on many solo outings in the woods and fields back then, and they did pretty well too. When I took a job driving for a local dairy, a lot of things went away and got put on hold as I worked such early hours, that my head and body was always tired. So I slept a lot! Too bad I didn't connect with you guys until late-after retirement, but I'm glad I did now!

Thanks to you all for that, and some of you being good at helping people, and others at writing excellent reviews, and stories-it's been fun and enlightening! Thanks also to Birdforum and the Administrator and moderators, much appreciated!

Last edited:
I guess I'm just too unimaginative. I've had to get through the whole year with the same old, lowly Nikon 8x32 SE. In the last couple of days, I've learned it's not an "Alpha." So, I guess I will have to go to my grave apologizing for not being a rich fellow who could waste $2,000 and be proud of it, although most humans can't see an appreciable difference and the birds couldn't care less. Perhaps I'm doomed to be a Beta and Gamma kind of gutter rat!

Beta Bill

I guess I'm just too unimaginative. I've had to get through the whole year with the same old, lowly Nikon 8x32 SE. In the last couple of days, I've learned it's not an "Alpha." So, I guess I will have to go to my grave apologizing for not being a rich fellow who could waste $2,000 and be proud of it, although most humans can't see an appreciable difference and the birds couldn't care less. Perhaps I'm doomed to be a Beta and Gamma kind of gutter rat!

Beta Bill

Perhaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back