• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YouTube clip of massive Baltic Sea fall migration (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello all,

I stumbled on this yesterday and was amazed. It seems like so few of these types of videos exist out there, showing the migration that's observed out in our oceans and seas. In this clip there are hundreds, if not thousands, of little migrants. Seems like the vast majority are Chaffinch, but someone could surely pick something else out by flight call. I think there's a Blackcap at on the deck at one point, too(?).

This person has a second clip, too, much the same as the first. In the comments below the video they mentioned Sparrowhawks and multiple Rough-legs in nocturnal migration, too! Apparently they were somewhere off the German coast.

Hello,

yes amazing and a big thank you to Martin Grimm for sharing this with us. The autor has written something about this special mass migration night in german magines and here:
Some pictures of this special night and many more excellent pictures from martin Grimm can be found here: Club300 Germany

I tried to see if I could pick out anything among the birds in the video. Possible Skylark(?) on the deck at 25-30 seconds, front left, and perhaps a Siskin (? -based on colour) at 30 seconds diagonally behind and left of the foreground 'Skylark' (also a second Skylark diagonally beyond the possible Siskin). Something else right at the front around 25 seconds that looks quite distinctive and not a Chaffinch, but am undecided as to what it might be (maybe Redwing given the supercilium, though looks to well marked on upper side). Can see Brambling and Redwing in the photos linked by Alexander too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back