• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory HT - is its high price really justified? (3 Viewers)

If you are going to carry 2 FL binoculars I think you would be better served by carrying a 7x42 and a 10x32 (instead of the 8x32).

Bob

Well, you'd have two different bins for two different tasks and more variety of use. If I wanted 8x32's for general hiking and outdoor use and 7x42's for birding or ease of holding steady, the two examples you mention seem to be very well thought of.

If you want just one all-arounder, I think the 8x42 HT is tough to beat. I've taken my pair on some long hikes using Zeiss' standard strap and have hardly noticed them around my neck. They're pretty ergonomically designed and very well balanced.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have a tough time deciding.

As CSG has pointed out that really is a tough question.

I am sure you could be happy with the twin-FL solution but if push came to shove I would follow James's recommendation.

The HT is so good and such a delight to hold and use I would go for the HT.

Lee

Thank you very much for your inputs -- I really appreciate it. I guess the discussion could be summed up in: "superb" quantity vs. "sublime" quality. Given the varied needs of hiking and birding, I guess the 7x42 and 8x32 combo has a functional edge for now. Hastily added, the 8x42 HT--based on several opportunities to test it-- is worthy of every praise it received so far.

Once more, thank you very much. Best regards.

Last edited:
If you want just one all-arounder, I think the 8x42 HT is tough to beat.

Yep. And for people who need a light pair for *really* long hikes the Swarovski 8x25 may well be the best choice as a second pair. Looks like a very nice combination.

Hermann

I agree Zeiss, Swarovski and the Leica are like fine wine. They all would be a good choice optical. If you use them for hours you need to consider weight, balance and their feel in your hands. I like a bridge design binocular because they feel better in my hands.

Best
Mike

I agree Zeiss, Swarovski and the Leica are like fine wine. They all would be a good choice optical. If you use them for hours you need to consider weight, balance and their feel in your hands. I like a bridge design binocular because they feel better in my hands.

Best
Mike

The Nikon Premier LX-L 8x20 and 10x25 binoculars aren't exactly Ripple either!

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back