• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss (1 Viewer)

Well, you asked in January and have seemingly disappeared, so I might be wasting my time, but here's my experience with the Gavia.

I have Zeiss Conquest bins, so I like Zeiss a lot, so I excitedly tried the Gavia a year or so ago when comparing to a Kowa TSN-773, Opticron MM4 77 and a Swarovski ATS 65HD. What a disappointment. The Zeiss was far the worst of the three, by far - most notably, having the narrowest field of view and the dullest image of them all.

There is another review on this Forum that draws the same conclusion, but in more detail and from a well respected member... you might want to check it out... a search should reveal it.

I would somewhat apologetically suggest that the images posted above do nothing to change my opinion, and everything to reinforce it.

While there are individual variations in optics, I have used extensively two Gavias, and come away disappointed. They couldn't hold a candle to my Nikon Monarch ED 82. At about $1600 US, it should be in your price range. See the thread about the Nikon.

Digiscoped photos don't tell the whole story, but here's what the Nikon is capable of.

PXL_20230326_161205582 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back