• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for new bins (1 Viewer)

Keebs

If I fire off enough shots, maybe just one of 'em
Recommendations for new bins, thanks

10 x 42

Up to around £250

Reliable would be an asset too!

A small list for me to check out would be great.

thanks

Last edited:
Kowa SV 10x42 (or 10x32).

I've been banging on about my 8x32 SV for ages.

Be good if you could get the 10x32 as I'm most interested in acquiring that myself (it has a closer focus than the 42 and I like the 32mm package of my 8x) ;)

I think they are dirt cheap from Japan on Amazon or else from Germany on ebay.

The view isn't cheap I can assure you on my 8x32. I did have a PM on here telling me the 10x42 was good that they had tried otherwise they seem to be virtually unknown on here except for some tries from shortly after they were released and maybe had some teething problems but I have had my 8x32 for 6 months and it's really just great.

If you can do without 10x I'd recommend the 8x32. No way would I prefer a 10x over it but I think I might like to get a 10x SV and that's even though I have an M7 10x30 which has been the only thing holding me off while I bought other bins but likewise I have thought about getting an M7 8x30 but then my Hawke Sapphire 8x43 keeps me from doing that. In a way the Kowa is my favourite of all my bins and that's those I currently own or have ever owned.

Last edited:
The M7 10x30, I have seen going for £200.

Sorry forgot the site but it's one of those big bird reserve places in England. That's a bit suspiciously cheap though for such a bin so maybe early glare prone models. Microglobe did mine and it's very sound as was the incredible Papilio I got from them recently and they refund no issue if necessary but it costs you the postage both ways.

That's quite a pity it didn't work out with Opticron though. I'm somewhat surprised by that but unfortunately it does happen with the best of them and after couple of tries I know you just want to go elsewhere.

Luckily there are plenty of options. The two I mentioned that I own are pretty safe bets in my experience. Both got magic inside but I think I'd give it to the 8x32 SV by an edge and that's not just because it's cheaper!

I think I need to get onto Kowa and demand free bins for all this publicity I'm giving them;) so what I'm saying is currently it is my unbiased opinion but good bins make their own puplicity.

Last edited:
Still looking for ideas.

Um ... ahhhh.... I've got it, OPTICRON EXPLORER:t:

Now that you declassified Opticron from your banned list of one in your original now edited post #1

I seem to remember you had a link to this also which you removed.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=315163

Editing is fair enough, I do it often enough (spelling mistakes etc), but sometimes it can completely skew perceptions as I'm sure you understand being a perception expert an all.

I tried to be helpful as I like to be but I guess it just wasn't a good idea in these instances.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back