• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Monoculars (1 Viewer)

Jeanlucpicard

Hi,

I have been looking at monoculars lately to take with my when on travels etc, something small but practicable.

I have been looking at the Opticron BGA and DBA series of monoculars.

I am just wondering is the difference between the lower end BGA and the higher end DBA a lot?
The price of the DBA is about double that of the BGA. While I am considering price if the DBA is a lot better in optical quality then I would probably prefer it as I keep these type of things forever pretty much.

But if the difference is quite small then I would rather go with the BGA and save the difference in money.

Also what other brands of quality monoculars can I look at? I know of Zeiss and Lecia.

Thanks,

Depends what you are looking for.

I am not impressed with Zeiss monoculars. Build quality is lacking (plastic). The Leica Monovid is excellent, as are the Nikon HG (high grade) 5x15 and 7x15. The Minox Makroskop is very bulky due to its porro prism design, but it is outstanding for close-range work like butterflies and aquarium fishes, sort of a stand-off loupe.

Also, I have interest in the Opticron monocular, especially in the 8x32/8x42 and 10x42 models, if anyone have using some of this monocular..please comment ,is a interesting theme.
Thank you in advance.
Wachi

I recommended the Docter 8x21 Monocular because it is so much smaller than the Opticron monocular's because you said you wanted something small. I have tried many of the bigger monoculars including the Opticron's and I found the Zen Ray ZRS HD 8x42 to perform much better than the Opticron's because it has ED glass and a much bigger FOV at a much better price point than the Opticron's. In fact it was the best performing monocular I found under $400.00 and I have tried quite a few. The Ebay seller ships internationally.

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-LYSB00945PEI0-ELECTRNCS-8x42-Monocular/dp/B00945PEI0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zen-Ray-ZR...626140?hash=item1c93ac49dc:g:fz8AAOSwCtJaFPf9

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back