• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

There I was, listening to Just A Minute, G & T in hand, ready to go out for my birthday dinner in the village, staring at the near-dark sky, when, at last, a

WOODCOCK

flies out from day time roost to go off feeding for the night.

Get in !!!

There I was, listening to Just A Minute, G & T in hand, ready to go out for my birthday dinner in the village, staring at the near-dark sky, when, at last, a

WOODCOCK

flies out from day time roost to go off feeding for the night.

Get in !!!

I don't know if ''Drinking whilst on Duty'' is allowed H...can lead to some wild claims! B :) Happy Birthday

I don't know if ''Drinking whilst on Duty'' is allowed H...can lead to some wild claims! B :) Happy Birthday

If H claims that he have seen Pintailed Snipe, I would say that the parties were served too much Shampagne. But Woodcock - well OK... Happy Birthday! B :)

Speaking of champagne, I had a colleague who used to come out with "Yes, I give champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends".
I must admit to having had a glass myself over a long weekend back seeing family in the UK (I also saw waders and ducks, species I never see up here!). Back home here the snow is still lying deep in the garden but green patches are appearing around the edges, Chaffinches flying north in flocks, and frustratingly there are Black Redstarts and White Wagtails just 3 or 4 miles away, my patience is wearing thin......:-C

Never mind worrying about tardy arrival of White Wagtail, a much less common (for the garden anyway) species just flew past the house:

42 Crag Martin :t:

Less than annual here, though they're quite common breeders not far away, my 4th spring record in 9 years.

Nice!

A local walk this morning shows that the Siskins & Lesser Redpolls have returned - but no sign from the garden here.

Does that mean your Siskins and Redpolls are absent in winter H2, so a sign of spring when you see them now?
Last Friday saw my first Siskins at the feeders this year, presumably migrating birds.
Anyway, here he is this morning at last!

43 White Wagtail

Average arrival date over the 9 years here is 7 March, so a bit overdue.
Song Thrushes started singing yesterday, they're really consistent, I've logged the first song heard dates since 2009, it goes like this: 13 March,13 March, 9 March,3 March, 10 March,8 March,11 March. Precision like that makes me wonder whether they're of Swiss origin ;)

This morning the green woodpecker stayed on the grass as I went across right near in my wheelchair. First time been that close to me in my garden and at same moment I saw three carrion crows in neighbours tree . Midday had five black kites very low trying to sort one another out or rather several trying to sort one out!
Song thursh started singing here last week , would like to see a white wagtail!
Bright sunny day 18c at this moment - rain expected tomorrow !

Last edited:
18°? I'm jealous, it was hovering around zero here at midday - it's nice now though so I tarried in the garden and was rewarded by another returning breeder:

44 Red Kite

It wasn't till 2010 that the species started breeding in Haute-Savoie, last year there were 17 territories and 8 confirmed breeding pairs! Good news, as it's not doing so well elsewhere in France I believe.

Does that mean your Siskins and Redpolls are absent in winter H2, so a sign of spring when you see them now?
Last Friday saw my first Siskins at the feeders this year, presumably migrating birds

Like H....had my 1st female Siskin of the Winter on Monday and Tuesday, absent on Wednesday, which was replaced by a resplendent male on the day! Presumably Southern birds filtering North to their breeding grounds.

Envious of your Crag Martin...one can but dream!

But is it going to be rarer in UK terms? Enjoy your drink anyway B :)

Cherers Dan, I've finissshed it noww. Pretty rare in Cornwall I imagine -

3 year ticks for the garden, what a day, maybe I should go out trying for owls as it seems my luck’s really in !
Yesterday at dusk a male Peregrine powered past the house, so I was gazing through the window at the setting sun this evening in case it reappeared, when I saw a flock of 10 large birds in the distance heading north, but they weren’t Cormorants, they were :
45 Common Crane !!!

A garden mega mega if ever there was ! In fact, three years ago my wife and I had a flock of seven about 5 miles from the house, I reckon these were following the same line, each year more and more pass over Switzerland so there are changes in migrtaion routes taking place it seems.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back