• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (23 Viewers)

Think Swifts may just be back anyway, not just migrants; 3 screaming outside a few minutes ago.

And another thing ... just twenty minutes ago popped out to try and find the polling station to hear Whimbrel calling over town and fading northwards on the third set of ripples.

54. Mute Swan
This was only my second garden record of the species, so it was a bit of a surprise to see four flying over this evening!

Visited Turkey April 12th to 26th staying at my house in Yesilkent near Didim. Unfortunately both myself and my wife spent most of the time with rancid chest infections and the weather was clear and settled after the first two days. Species 1-21 on days 1-2(after this useless for migrants). I got the following species on the 2015 house list however.

1. Yellow legged gull
2. Corn Bunting
3. House Sparrow
4. Hooded Crow
5. Collared Dove
6. House Martin
7. Red Rumped Swallow
8. Swallow
9. Blackboard
10. Great tit
11. Greenfinch
12. Goldfinch
13. Lesser Whitethroat
14. Blackcap
15. Jay
16. Magpie
17. Black Eared Wheatear
18. SHORT TOED EAGLE (New house tick) seen on 4 separate days at some distance
19. White Wagtail
20. Collared Flycatcher
21. Chiffchaf
22. Common Tern
23. Olivaceous Warbler
24. Great Cormorant
25. Scops Owl
26. Common Swift
27. Northern Wheatear
28. Mediterranean Gull
29. Spanish Sparrow
30. Alpine Swift

Won't be back out until October so no update to list until then
Hope you're both fully recovered John - was species No 9 seen at the local school by any chance?;)

Think Swifts may just be back anyway, not just migrants; 3 screaming outside a few minutes ago.

And another thing ... just twenty minutes ago popped out to try and find the polling station to hear Whimbrel calling over town and fading northwards on the third set of ripples.

Did it make you feel ''blue'' :-O

61) Garden Warbler By no means annual for my garden, in fact there are more years when it doesn't appear than when it does, but there has been one here all day singing from a hedge. Hope it stays!

100. Red-eyed Vireo
101. Common Yellowthroat
102. American Redstart
103. Brown Thrasher
104. Cape May Warbler
105. Magnolia Warbler
106. Blue-winged Warbler
107. Mourning Warbler
108. Bay-breasted Warbler
109. Indigo Bunting

100. Red-eyed Vireo
101. Common Yellowthroat
102. American Redstart
103. Brown Thrasher
104. Cape May Warbler
105. Magnolia Warbler
106. Blue-winged Warbler
107. Mourning Warbler
108. Bay-breasted Warbler
109. Indigo Bunting

Birds to set a European twitcher's heart a-racing there Josh!
Speaking of health problems, last May's single afternoon bonanza of 45 of this species nearly caused Ken M's blood pressure to go through the roof. Three days later this year, and just a small flock of 8 past this morning:

69 Honey Buzzard

The early bird....

As a very hot day was forecast I decided to start my gardening as soon as my wife left for work at 6.30. It paid off handsomely as I added 4 species to the year's Garden List:

70 Stonechat
71 Red-backed Shrike
72 Serin
73 House Martin

I thought I'd briefly heard both Serin and R b Shrike distantly 2 days ago but had no time to investigate. House Martin is not always seen here in spring, I often have to wait for the first crop of juvéniles to start wandering about in July (that's when I'll probably get to see Hobby this year!). The Stonechat is a Garden Rare, only the 3rd in 9 years here, the other two were both in June. Three acrobatic Alpine Swifts brightened the morning too, still no Common Swift though!

As a very hot day was forecast I decided to start my gardening as soon as my wife left for work at 6.30. It paid off handsomely as I added 4 species to the year's Garden List:

70 Stonechat
71 Red-backed Shrike
72 Serin
73 House Martin

I thought I'd briefly heard both Serin and R b Shrike distantly 2 days ago but had no time to investigate. House Martin is not always seen here in spring, I often have to wait for the first crop of juvéniles to start wandering about in July (that's when I'll probably get to see Hobby this year!). The Stonechat is a Garden Rare, only the 3rd in 9 years here, the other two were both in June. Three acrobatic Alpine Swifts brightened the morning too, still no Common Swift though!

Nice! And you got the weeding done. Still no Common Swift for me either.

Saw your weather was much improved in les alpes, been hot beautiful here several days though today its now gone down to half the temperature of earlier in the week and starting to rain.
Enjoying seeing the hoopoe almost every day mostly on the grass , other years have seen it but very much less often.
Couple days ago pleased to see three red kites very low above me for some time hanging around .
Usual black kite circling around low this morning searching in the field directly after my garden!
The two goldfinches never arrived this spring. Black redstart is here, how does he know to sit on exactly the same inch /cm part of the guttering as always ?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back