• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (5 Viewers)

Today's Yard Birds
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Common Grackle
Mourning Dove
European Starling
Gray Catbird
House Finch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Cardinal
House Wren
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker

May 13.
#34. Barnacle Goose

May 14.
#35. Lesser Whitethroat

May 15.
#36. European Pied Flycatcher
#37. Barn Swallow

May 16.
#38. Grey Heron
#39. Common Tern

May 17.
No new birds today (at least not yet), but at once I have a time to do real "Garden Watch". From 9.40 am to 13.50 pm I watched Barnacles to fly Eastwards. I calculate 4633 Barnacles from 25 different flock at that time. Plus three Barnacles that flew towards the west. Probably the locals.
The largest flock reached 400 birds and the smallest 15.

From 9.40 am to 13.50 pm I watched Barnacles to fly Eastwards. I calculate 4633 Barnacles from 25 different flock at that time.

Wow! I'd be quite happy if one detoured a little to the south :)

Had a few additions in the last week or so, but have fallen somewhat behind on updates!

Been a while since I updated, but some nice bits and bobs in the meantime - most impressive a flock of seven Great White Egrets flying over (5th record for land) and arrival of migrants such as Wryneck, Hobby and Thrush Nightingale. Also White-tailed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle et al.

101. Hobby
102. Tawny Owl
103. Thrush Nightingale
104. Red-breasted Flycatcher

Far better however than the birds, managed a ten-mammal day on the 10th! Prior to sunset, a big Moose by my cabin and a Beaver in my pool, then another Beaver in a drainage ditch. As dusk descended Red Fox and Roe Deer in the meadow, then both Soprano Pipistrelle and Daubenton's Bats in front of the cabin(both new for my land) and finally after dark (by spotlight) Brown Hare and Stone Marten. Completing the ten, added Yellow-necked Mouse and Bank Vole thanks to live traps.

Been a while since I updated, but some nice bits and bobs in the meantime - most impressive a flock of seven Great White Egrets flying over (5th record for land) and arrival of migrants such as Wryneck, Hobby and Thrush Nightingale. Also White-tailed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle et al.

101. Hobby
102. Tawny Owl
103. Thrush Nightingale
104. Red-breasted Flycatcher

What direction was the wind blowing on Monday Jos?

Cheers

What direction was the wind blowing on Monday Jos?

Cheers

Can't say I made a particular note of note, but given the shite weather that has dominated most of May, probably from the north :t:

None of the species recorded are weather dependent though - all breed on my land (Thrush Nightingale, Tawny Owl, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Wryneck) or in the general area (Hobby, White-tailed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle) or at least in the country (Great White Egret).

Can't say I made a particular note of note, but given the shite weather that has dominated most of May, probably from the north :t:

None of the species recorded are weather dependent though - all breed on my land (Thrush Nightingale, Tawny Owl, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Wryneck) or in the general area (Hobby, White-tailed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle) or at least in the country (Great White Egret).

Interesting that Summer visitors can arrive on opposing winds, just proves that the need to reproduce overides the elements when "needs" be. However, vagrants in the main needing more wind born inducement, although not always.

It was the arrival of RBFly, Thrush Nightingale and Wryneck (same day) that prompted the question.

Cheers

Interesting that Summer visitors can arrive on opposing winds, just proves that the need to reproduce overides the elements when "needs" be ...

Don't think they had a choice, weather has been pretty dire most of the month and much stuff is now late. They probably walked!

Crikey, Joanne, I think they're probably settled by now.

Yesterday a pair of Swifts came too close to a Sparrowhawk - and like lightning the hawk made a grab but didn't manage to hold on!

A few more migrants in today, a nice male Red-backed Shrike straight onto favourite breeding patch.

105. Black Tern
106. Red-backed Shrike
107. Common Rosefinch

Really cold and unpleasant here recently, snowed last night and only 2°C when we left for Grenoble this morning. The dreaded (by me at least!) visit to IKEA didn't take as long as expected, so SWMBO kindly agreed to a slight diversion to Grenoble airport where we saw 21 (yes, twenty-one) Red-footed Falcons in the same field - and a Montagu's Harrier too! All you European Garden listers keep an eye out in the next few weeks, there's a huge invasion of RFFs going on in France and Switzerland at least, so maybe some will wander further north and west.
The garden birding has taken a back seat recently, but yesterday evening had a very nice :

74 Short-toed Eagle

drift over (about half an hour ahead of the snow showers). Only my third ever for the garden, and the first spring record.

The weather seems to be a theme Europe-wide. Here the last few days have been bitterly cold - hat coat & gloves required!
I spent a large part of yesterday looking for local Hobbies without success. At least the temperature was up from single figures to around 11c.
So, I don't know about RFF: a single Hobby would be nice.

Had a really bad week of weather much colder wet grey days temperature low for this time of year but I've seen the hoopoe everyday in the garden , its a bird I usually only see more often when its hot and sunny here !

Last edited:
First moderately warm day for quite a while - pair of White-tailed Eagles today, plus four Great White Egrets again (three records prior to this year, now records of a single, flock of seven and today's four all in the last couple of weeks ...probably same birds lingering).

Two Common Rosefinches singing, also three migrants seen for first time this year...

108. Swift
109. Garden Warbler
110. Sedge Warbler.

I'd just set out to look for Hobbies when a bop passed by overhead going south.....

RED KITE !

Aj

A just once a year sight here - so a great garden year tick.

(See Your Birding Day)

H: re Hobbies, I've been to my usual Hobby location and saw one. Also saw a few at Dunge last week and there were a reported 25 there one day last week so THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY!:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back