• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (8 Viewers)

Probably less than half dozen occurrences over 30+years, but on my birthday....it was gratefully received! no.66

Attachments

• P1090684 (2)  Tern over house, no.3..jpg
    P1090684 (2) Tern over house, no.3..jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 59
So your presence in the same house hasn't 'terned' 40 yet then Ken?

Based on the current rate of ''acquisition'', I'd need c240 years tenancy to ''Tern 40'' Richard!

I suppose I could use ''Heaven'' as a viewpoint, where I should arrive at the requisite total comfortably. :-O

You're all too smart for me, to be honest I bridled at the idea of another tern pun.
A record-breaking 36 Black Kites visible all at once from the garden this afternoon! They seem to have some sort of radar that tells them when a farmer is haymaking miles and miles away. Another black bird, a Black Woodpecker flew past three times this morning, to-ing and fro-ing between a source of juicy grubs and a nest somewhere I suppose.
No Black Tern though......

Happy Birthday Ken B :)

Thanks Joanne, I've just climbed the stairs after a "flagon" of wine.....being the day that it is!....a "lone one", and wondering what the "fall" may bring?, assuming of course that there's nothing else in the pipeline before. :t:

You're all too smart for me, to be honest I bridled at the idea of another tern pun.
A record-breaking 36 Black Kites visible all at once from the garden this afternoon! They seem to have some sort of radar that tells them when a farmer is haymaking miles and miles away. Another black bird, a Black Woodpecker flew past three times this morning, to-ing and fro-ing between a source of juicy grubs and a nest somewhere I suppose.

I was hoping to "bump" Into BK whilst in Brussels over the weekend....but alas no joy!...it would have completed a "Triumverate" of "Black" finds during the trip. I've had one BK over the house, June 10th a few years back....thinking it might be a while for the next one. ;)

Great you've had loads of black kites too . Mine were a few days ago , see one or two usually every day and I'm always thrilled to see a kite, but when see so very many together its really amazing!
Beautiful morning hot here this week .

No Black Kites for me but a red-letter day nevertheless.:king:

Earlier this year we did some habitat improvement to the pond area (formerly a cow slurry pit). It's always a worry when you re-do areas on a large scale....in trying to improve the habitat it is made worse before it gets better. But today a garden first for the year and for all time, Reed Warbler singing from the bushes beside the pond this morning taking the garden year list to 63 and the all time garden list to 119. |:d| Seems a little late for him to attract a mate.........but if not this year maybe next.

Was it the typical Reed Warbler song Joanne? My little grey cells are working overtime here as one of my Marsh Warblers has gone missing.................;)

It was RW to me which I am very familiar with...........it hadn't occurred to me that it might be Marsh Warbler...........very rare in Sussex, as you know I'm sure.

Reed Warbler in bushes....interesting. Do you have adjacent reeds?

Interestingly H...on April 26th, a colleague found a Sedge Warbler singing from a deciduous shrub, then from a tree (as per image), in a total ''dry'' habitat, adjacent London Wall and opposite Lloyd's Bank headquarters, London EC2...certainly an Incongruous record. :eek!:

Well done with the Reed Warbler Joanne!...an extremely good garden bird!

Attachments

• P1080242 (2) A Love Lane Sedge Wrblr. fire escape, 26.4.15.jpg
    P1080242 (2) A Love Lane Sedge Wrblr. fire escape, 26.4.15.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yes Sedge isn't half as fussy as Reed though. But the song is quite a bit different - as I'm sure Joanne knows.

Sedge not as fussy maybe but less likely inland in my view and also according to Sussex mapping of both species.

I'm not expecting him to stay...........maybe I should plant some reeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back